Going to Florida

Penner

Re: Going to Florida

Post by Penner » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:27 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Penner wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Anole

Used to catch them when I was a kid.

There are other kinds that stay more outside the porch area in the woods that are even more interesting.

Six line runners were the hardest to catch.

These were my favorites:

I never saw those while I was down there. I only remember seeing these green lizards that were everywhere- I mean everywhere. The place where we stayed had them literally going up to the pool and were all over the city.
Anoles like to live around people. If you have a screened-in pool area, you will have them everywhere. Most people like them. They are good to have around that area to clear away insects.

Guys like the fence lizards live out in the woods surrounding your house. Where I grew up, they used to love climbing around in the old railroad ties along the driveway. They like logs and dried up pieces of wood to climb in. I guess that's why they are called fence lizards.

IMO, there scales look like they have great camouflage for blending into wood, especially dead wood.

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:28 pm

My dad lived near Tarpon Springs, which is basically a Greek fishing village and very popular. My dad isn't easily impressed and he loved it.
:royalty-queen:

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:29 pm

Penner wrote:

IMO, there scales look like they have great camouflage for blending into wood, especially dead wood.

That's exactly what it is. The scales are really thick and bark-like too. I love those guys. They are like little dinosaurs.

Penner

Post by Penner » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:36 pm

My father has a cousin who lives about 30 minutes from where we grew up but he and his wife would always go down to Florida during the winter time (snowbirds, btw). Basically, when I see them in the summer they talk about fishing in the canals and seeing the alligators just moving by them. Apparently, they said that the authorities will not do anything until they attack/try to attack humans. So lock up your pets because they love eating them.

Also, I have a cousin who currently lives down in the Keys with her husband and children. They love the island but they have to homeschool their children and they are like the only family down there. Well, they mentioned that there are not enough families to even have a school district, so everyone has to homeschool their kids.

They love it but she did mentioned how cold it gets in the winter time (well, she mentioned that it gets a low as 50 degrees F but that is like spring time here in PA) and that the homes are not insulated for winter (which makes sense).

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:42 pm

We get anoles a lot around Houston but these guys are becoming more common nowadays. They are a trip because they will hang out around porch lights to catch bugs but they are also slightly translucent so if the light hits them right they light up like a fire fly.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediter ... ouse_gecko

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:20 pm

You'll be just north of where I lived for 16 years - Fort Myers. Find a Waffle House and enjoy the best breakfast of your life - whatever time it is.

Georgia is beautiful, as is Tarpon Springs. The kids would probably enjoy a sponge diving tour. If you have the chance, just find a way to get out on the water and see the estuaries or barrier islands. That's the real beauty of Florida. The rest is just bitchy old people and hillbillies. ;)
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:05 am

Aren't there some swamps down there that are worth seeing?
Do armadillos still run around?
Are you doing Disney?

Penner

Post by Penner » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:53 am

de officiis wrote:Aren't there some swamps down there that are worth seeing?
Are you doing Disney?
I don't think nothing is around Tampa (it's too far north and on the West side of Florida) in terms of famous swamps. I do know that the Everglades and at least one other swamp is around Miami, Hollywood, FT. Lauderdale area but that is it. Although, I think they can drive to Orlando and visit the Magic Kingdom or at least Universal Studios which are damn fun to visit.

Personally, I would stay close to the coast since inland Florida can be scary- I mean scary.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:38 am

Armadillos are everywhere now. I think they will be in Canada by next year lol

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:14 pm

de officiis wrote:Aren't there some swamps down there that are worth seeing?
Are you doing Disney?

Yes. The inland lakes and swamps are interesting if you like to watch wildlife, or fish, or just kayak around. Armadillos still run around, but you should not ever play with them as they sometimes carry leprosy.

My advice: skip Disney altogether. Florida is amazing for the wildlife and many different biomes. Avoid the tourist areas if you can. Go to small towns and try to experience some of what Florida was before all the yankees moved down there and defiled it.