My 2017 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot

Ex-California

Re: My 2017 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot

Post by Ex-California » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:28 am

Fife wrote:
clubgop wrote:Yeah, I am a small hall guy and with 1B its a high bar. If I am setting up a team, I'd take McGriff over 90%-91% of 1st baseman but for me HOF has to be 95% or higher.
I did a google search this morning, and this Braves blogger has a pretty good recent take on McGriff's stats. Makes you think: http://tomahawktake.com/2016/11/28/the- ... d-mcgriff/

This guy makes a great point also about '94. We are just now getting enough perspective to see how deeply those idiots damaged the game. Crime Dog would be sitting at about 510 or so* but for that, and voted in several ballots ago. Nothing to be done about it now.

*He was the best HR guy in the bigs when the strike occurred. Bonds was a pretty distant second at that moment.
Bonds also was a base stealing machine and hit for average in the 90s. He had already gone 40/40 and 400/400 (still the only one to ever do that) before the earliest steroid allegations could be levied.
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:35 am

California wrote:Bonds also was a base stealing machine and hit for average in the 90s. He had already gone 40/40 and 400/400 (still the only one to ever do that) before the earliest steroid allegations could be levied.
No doubt; he lost out from the 94-95 strike also, so did Maddox, and who knows who else?

But the immense marginal cost to McGriff is what I'm just thinking of.

I just found this piece from a while back. Interesting stuff. http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/did-t ... l-of-fame/

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:43 am

Oh yeah, totally agree.

Matt Williams was on pace to shatter the home run record that year too. I don't think he was juicing at that point.
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:39 am

California wrote:Oh yeah, totally agree.

Matt Williams was on pace to shatter the home run record that year too. I don't think he was juicing at that point.
Well he could have been pure the whole time, still not a HoFer.

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:44 am

Fife wrote:
clubgop wrote:Yeah, I am a small hall guy and with 1B its a high bar. If I am setting up a team, I'd take McGriff over 90%-91% of 1st baseman but for me HOF has to be 95% or higher.
I did a google search this morning, and this Braves blogger has a pretty good recent take on McGriff's stats. Makes you think: http://tomahawktake.com/2016/11/28/the- ... d-mcgriff/

This guy makes a great point also about '94. We are just now getting enough perspective to see how deeply those idiots damaged the game. Crime Dog would be sitting at about 510 or so* but for that, and voted in several ballots ago. Nothing to be done about it now.

*He was the best HR guy in the bigs when the strike occurred. Bonds was a pretty distant second at that moment.
If he needed just one more half a season for election then to my mind that makes his case weaker not stronger. The players had every bit of blame for 94 as anyone else, thats not going to engender any sympathy with me.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:29 am

clubgop wrote:
California wrote:Oh yeah, totally agree.

Well he could have been pure the whole time, still not a HoFer.
No way is he an HoFer, just another tragedy of the strike

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:06 am

What's the post-mortem analysis, clubby?

I really think the dumbness of the HOF will become more pronounced as Schilling makes his way to the US Senate over the ashes of Fauxcahontas.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/poll- ... le/2612688

http://theweek.com/articles/673607/fool ... etsy-devos

The fact that Schilling doesn't really have HOF numbers, but is obviously a pariah among the moronically leftist media making up sports media generally, and the BBWAA specifically, will make it even more revealing.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:10 am

The fact that Bonds and Clemons aren't in the HOF is fucking ridiculous. PED's did not make them great players, to pretend otherwise is asinine. The baseball HOF is a complete joke of a HOF until they fix such egregious errors.

Seriously baseball fans, you need to get stop being so self-righteous about PED's, when most of y'all don't even know how they work. You sound like children crying the world isn't fair. Knock off the temper tantrum dummies.
*yip*