bye, felicia

Zlaxer

Re: bye, felicia

Post by Zlaxer » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:15 pm

MilSpecs wrote:That said, regardless of politics I'll miss having a first family we can be proud of. Good kids and the Obamas clearly have a successful marriage and are still in love after all these years
You look like a man in need of a good deal on a bridge.....

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:23 pm

GOP was the majority party between the Reconstruction era (1865) until the Great Depression era (1932). The issue of slavery broke the democratic party, and caused them to start a war with the federal government when they lost power. They remained a minority party after that, until the republicans royally fucked up the economy and their response to the Great Depression. The result of that fuck-up is the famous realignment election of 1932 (the most sweeping realignment election of our history). The democrats again became the majority party in the aftermath of that realignment until last November.

Once you lose major demographics like the democrats just lost, it takes several generations to change the game itself and thus the dynamic. This new state of affairs could easily continue for 80 years.

These are the weird cycles of American politics that historians try to explain, but nobody really gets right. Our nation runs like the Sun, with these cycles, punctuated by rapid reversals we call realignment elections.

In our history, the big realignment elections were:

1828 -- Andrew Jackson and a democratic party domination.

1864 -- Birth of GOP and beginning of GOP domination (possibly greatly lengthened by outcome of Civil War).

1932 -- FDR and the birth of the New Deal, sweeping redirection of American politics that lasted until last November.

2016 -- Trump and the reassertion of nationalism and economic expansionism of the GOP. New Deal has failed and was rejected.

People like to compare this to Reagan's election. This is much bigger than that.

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:35 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:GOP was the majority party between the Reconstruction era (1865) until the Great Depression era (1932). The issue of slavery broke the democratic party, and caused them to start a war with the federal government when they lost power. They remained a minority party after that, until the republicans royally fucked up the economy and their response to the Great Depression. The result of that fuck-up is the famous realignment election of 1932 (the most sweeping realignment election of our history). The democrats again became the majority party in the aftermath of that realignment until last November.

Once you lose major demographics like the democrats just lost, it takes several generations to change the game itself and thus the dynamic. This new state of affairs could easily continue for 80 years.

These are the weird cycles of American politics that historians try to explain, but nobody really gets right. Our nation runs like the Sun, with these cycles, punctuated by rapid reversals we call realignment elections.

1864 -- Birth of GOP and beginning of GOP domination (possibly greatly lengthened by outcome of Civil War).

1932 -- FDR and the birth of the New Deal, sweeping redirection of American politics that lasted until last November.

2016 -- Trump and the reassertion of nationalism and economic expansionism of the GOP. New Deal has failed and was rejected.

People like to compare this to Reagan's election. This is much bigger than that.
Not so sure.....DNC still has demographics on their side....I think this last election was more akin to one last stand by the middle/working class....the non-working class will propel the DNC back to power...

K@th

Post by K@th » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:45 pm

I don't know if I can agree. We'll see what happens, but my take is that this was the country rejecting Clinton more than accepting Trump. His approval ratings are not very high for a PEOTUS. It's at 39% or something right now. If everyone was all excited, that would be much higher.
Account abandoned.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:46 pm

Zlaxer wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:GOP was the majority party between the Reconstruction era (1865) until the Great Depression era (1932). The issue of slavery broke the democratic party, and caused them to start a war with the federal government when they lost power. They remained a minority party after that, until the republicans royally fucked up the economy and their response to the Great Depression. The result of that fuck-up is the famous realignment election of 1932 (the most sweeping realignment election of our history). The democrats again became the majority party in the aftermath of that realignment until last November.

Not so sure.....DNC still has demographics on their side....I think this last election was more akin to one last stand by the middle/working class....the non-working class will propel the DNC back to power...

I disagree. I think the nonworking Americans helped propel Trump to power.

And if the democrats do somehow manage to recover power in this generation, it will be unprecedented. They really are only metropolis/regional party now. They still retain control of California and New York, but even there, it's only going take their own policies ruining those states as they did in Michigan and Illinois to begin the process there too.

More likely, in my opinion, is that in the aftermath of the forthcoming midterm elections, and the GOP gaining a supermajority (total, unassailable control of the federal government), and even more states fall under the GOP's control, an attempt will be made to seriously reform the democratic party. It will fail in following years, and made manifest if Trump wins a reelection in an even stronger performance than last November. At that point, the democratic party as we know it will be dead. The only way forward is through a new party representing the left.

Problem is.. if you actually look at what the left is about today, they are going to lose most Americans with their new platform. The democratic party has been kind of holding it together by marginalizing the crazies like the feminists and social justice warriors, but there is no hiding them, and they quickly are becoming the dominate electorate for the left. The new party is not going to be appealing at all.

Take it or leave it. Some of you guys said I was crazy like five years ago when I told you a realignment was coming. Even though it was obvious at the time what was happening.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:52 pm

I will say this: during the 2012 election, I was really uncertain about how this realignment would go down, because it seemed to me the GOP was doomed to keep putting forward more Mitt Romneys and cucks like Jeb Bush. For a long time, I thought maybe the social energy that was building up would result in a new party capitalizing on that realignment, or something weird like that.

I did NOT foresee an economic nationalist like Trump actually taking over the GOP with hostility and reforming it from the outside. That was quite amazing.

One thing this election has showed me is that these forces are damned near unstoppable. The energy was there and the realignment happened despite all this inertia and establishment controls to keep it from happening. The establishment never had that much control on the electorate.

It's almost like we are in Hari Seldon territory now.

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:20 am

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:31 pm

Kath wrote:I don't know if I can agree. We'll see what happens, but my take is that this was the country rejecting Clinton more than accepting Trump. His approval ratings are not very high for a PEOTUS. It's at 39% or something right now. If everyone was all excited, that would be much higher.
If there is one thing this election has taught me, it's that pollsters are either biased or bad at their jobs. I can't help but take those kind of statistics with a grain of salt in our current political climate.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:55 pm

Trump's aggregate approval rating is actually 42.7%, highest was 51%, the country is basically split down the middle, thus, the only thing that matters at this point is; just win, baby.

Obama's average approval is 54%, highest is 55%, so the opposition is hardly in a position to claim a mandate.

Liberals and Cucks don't like Trump, this we know, unfortunately for them, they blew themselves up in the election, screeching about how unelectable and unpopular Trump was, as he cruised right by them and knocked their Blue Wall down.

Really just comes down to the economy, if the economy picks up, Trump's numbers will go up, if it slows down, Trump's numbers will go down, the "loyal" opposition, it totally irrelevant for all intents and purposes.
Nec Aspera Terrent

K@th

Post by K@th » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:18 pm

Xenophon wrote:
If there is one thing this election has taught me, it's that pollsters are either biased or bad at their jobs. I can't help but take those kind of statistics with a grain of salt in our current political climate.
Valid point. Time will tell. It's too early to declare an 80-year Republican reign, though.
Account abandoned.