Is Bodybuilding a Sport?

StCapps

Re: Is Bodybuilding a Sport?

Post by StCapps » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:55 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:No, capps. You are grasping. It's not a sport. Even a Mr. Olympia will tell you this.

And you are committing ad hominem by attacking Rich Piana while ignoring his argument.
I attacked his argument. I am not attacking him, are you daft? You are appealing to authority I am pointing it out, that isn't a personal attack on him. You are ignoring my issues with his argument and just saying "he says I'm wrong and he's an expert" is a logical fallacy. Experts on bodybuilding are not experts on what is and isn't a "real sport" anyway so double fail.
*yip*

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:14 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:It's not a sport. Even a Mr. Olympia will tell you this.
"Bodybuilding is much like any other sport." - Seven-time Mr. Olympia
:royalty-queen:

K@th

Post by K@th » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:50 pm

StCapps wrote: Only if they participate in eating competitions would they be an athlete.
If eating, darts & beer pong are physically taxing, then chess is too. Also, piano competitions. (All musical competitions, really.)

Knitting contest? Sport.

Pie baking competition? Sport.

Again, if everything is a sport, nothing is. The term is meaningless.
Account abandoned.

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:53 pm

Bro, do you even lift???

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:32 pm

Kath wrote:
StCapps wrote: Only if they participate in eating competitions would they be an athlete.
If eating, darts & beer pong are physically taxing, then chess is too. Also, piano competitions. (All musical competitions, really.)

Knitting contest? Sport.

Pie baking competition? Sport.

Again, if everything is a sport, nothing is. The term is meaningless.
Physical Exertion and Skill,
Displayed In Competition by competitors,
For Entertainment...
That's a sport.

Not all entertainment is a sport, not all competitions are a sport, not all entertaining competitions are sport, and not all skill based entertaining competitions are sports. The combination of all four of the above attributes in one activity is what makes said activity a sport. The definition is simple and specific, hardly a vague and meaningless definition as you imply.
*yip*