Is Bodybuilding a Sport?

K@th

Re: Is Bodybuilding a Sport?

Post by K@th » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:46 am

StCapps wrote:It's not my definition, it's monte's. Take it up with him, I agree with you whether an activity is a sport has nothing to do with objectivity or subjectivity of the rules, I have been pointing that out this entire thread.
It was your quote.

Regardless, classifying what is or is not a sport is very subjective. :lol: I don't consider driving cars a sport, for example, though many people do.

Also, if everything is a sport than nothing is.
Account abandoned.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:50 am

Kath wrote:It was your quote.
I was talking monte's voice describing his criteria for what he considers a sport. If you read the rest of the thread and saw my arguments about subjective and objective scoring criteria not having anything to do with whether a physical activity is considered a sport.
Kath wrote:Regardless, classifying what is or is not a sport is very subjective. :lol: I don't consider driving cars a sport, for example, though many people do.
Driving is clearly a sport, whether you consider it so or not. What is an isn't a sport is not subjective, people just think it is because they don't understand the objective definition.
Kath wrote:Also, if everything is a sport than nothing is.
I never said everything is a sport.
Last edited by StCapps on Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:50 am

StCapps wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:Then with that loose definition anything from ballroom dancing to juggling is a sport.
Competitive ballroom dancing and juggling are indeed sports. Why does the definition need to be narrower?
Well by your hastily Googled definition if I play table tennis with a friend with nobody watching and neither of us is entertained it is not a sport however enjoying a game of poker makes it a sport.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:52 am

Montegriffo wrote:
StCapps wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:Then with that loose definition anything from ballroom dancing to juggling is a sport.
Competitive ballroom dancing and juggling are indeed sports. Why does the definition need to be narrower?
Well by your hastily Googled definition if I play table tennis with a friend with nobody watching and neither of us is entertained it is not a sport however enjoying a game of poker makes it a sport.
No poker would not be a sport, no physical exertion. Card games, board games and video games aren't sports for that reason.
Last edited by StCapps on Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:54 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:So PUA is a sport?
Second fastest growing sport in 2016. Right behind shitposting.

K@th

Post by K@th » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:54 am

StCapps wrote: No poker would not be a sport, no physical exertion.
Define physical exertion. You certainly have to shuffle and deal cards, pick them up, lift chips, scoop chips....

A hot dog eating competition... sport by your definition.
Account abandoned.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:56 am

There is as much physical exertion in poker as there is in a game of darts especially when you take into account the endurance required for a long session into the night.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:59 am

Kath wrote:Define physical exertion. You certainly have to shuffle and deal cards, pick them up, lift chips, scoop chips....
If that qualified as physical exertion why would they even mention it in the definition? If everything is physical exertion, than nothing is physical exertion. Moving chess pieces and shuffling cards clearly does not meet the criteria if one isn't being obtuse.
Last edited by StCapps on Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:00 pm

Montegriffo wrote:There is as much physical exertion in poker as there is in a game of darts especially when you take into account the endurance required for a long session into the night.
Nah darts requires far more physical exertion. Poker requires no athletic skill whatsoever, Darts clearly does on the hand eye coordination front.
*yip*

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:05 pm

Actually poker takes a bit of fortitude. Pits sweaty stomach a mess ac blazing and you're trying to bluff. You would be surprised if you've never played in vegas.