Is Bodybuilding a Sport?

Speaker to Animals

Is Bodybuilding a Sport?

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:58 pm

This has been bugging me. I don't deny the work, commitment, and discipline necessary to reach competition-level physique, but does that make bodybuilding a sport?

If bodybuilding is a sport, then shouldn't Miss USA pageant be considered a sport?

From my perspective, a sport would be something like a Strongman or powerlifting competition. A sport requires metrics that measure external progress whereas beauty contests like bodybuilding or Miss USA are subjective and aesthetic, like an art or baking contest. Even a hot dog-eating contest exhibits more traits of a sport as far as I can tell.

I wonder if bodybuilding might not be dangerous for men in that it teaches them to behave somewhat like women, seeking approval for how they look rather than what they can do. Strongman competitors measure success in how they can influence the external world with their strength. Martial artists like boxers and UFC fighters measure success in how many fights they win and lose.

Am I wrong?

MilSpecs

Re: Is Bodybuilding a Sport?

Post by MilSpecs » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:22 pm

Bodybuilding shares common elements with gymnastics, figure skating, and other sports that are judged on aesthetics as well as performance and set standards. The standards are Mass, Definition, Proportion, Symmetry, and Stage Presence. Also like any other elite athlete, you're born with the ability to attempt to achieve near perfection in those standards. No matter how much effort someone puts in, only someone born with the right genetic material can become an Arnold, achieving great mass, in proportion, in all muscles, on each side.

The rest of what you're saying is just silly. Men and women both bodybuild and powerlift. In both sports, most of the athletes are trying to beat the number(s) in their weight class and for their gender, not to be the strongest person ever or the best-looking person ever. They all require an incredible amount of discipline and athleticism. Like most athletes, they respect each other's accomplishments because they know what it takes to win. It's usually the non-athletes who attempt to denigrate their achievements.
:royalty-queen:

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:39 pm

The rest of what you're saying is just silly
Wtf? You basicaly just reiterated the point he was making.

Anyway, I don't consider body building a sport. I can appreciate the effort it takes to make yourself look like that but it's still weird. It's more like a "beauty" contest to my mind.

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:55 pm

Not at all. I laid out why it's considered a sport and what sports use similar judging standards. The crap about men behaving like women or seeking approval is silly.

You both may be confusing bodybuilding and bodysculpting (beachbody). They're not the same thing. Bodysculpting is tough but most people would find bodysculpters' physiques to be attractive. The look of a bodybuilder - much more mass - is not aesthetically pleasing to everyone.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:06 pm

Well that doesn't make sense. Where's the sport in bodybuilding? It's pageantry. Weight lifting is a sport yes. You seem to be conflating the two.

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:12 pm

You mean powerlifting - all three involve weightlifting. Powerlifting is like polevaulting in that you're trying to beat a number, but in your particular weight and gender division.

If bodybuilding isn't a sport, that would mean iceskating and gymnastics aren't sports. All three are judged by both standards and aesthetics.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:19 pm

Ok. Maybe I'm confused here. What's the one where literally all they do is get oiled up and flex on stage? Because that's not a sport anymore than runway modeling is.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:22 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Well that doesn't make sense. Where's the sport in bodybuilding? It's pageantry. Weight lifting is a sport yes. You seem to be conflating the two.
All sports involve some amount of pageantry. Pageantry being present within a competition does not effect whether said competition is a sport or not.
*yip*

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:31 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Ok. Maybe I'm confused here. What's the one where literally all they do is get oiled up and flex on stage? Because that's not a sport anymore than runway modeling is.
:lol:

Saying all they do is get oiled up and flex is like saying all a figure skater does is skate around. It takes 24/7 discipline and effort (and a lot of physical pain) to achieve those proportions. If you don't believe me, follow someone around who does it and try to do what they do. It's not just lifting heavy weights. It's a lot like gymnastics in that the diet is restricted, multiple workouts a day in a rigid schedule, and a high tolerance for pain. Like any other competitive sport, it's a totally enveloping lifestyle. The level of discipline required is astounding.

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:33 pm

All sports require sacrifice and devotion in addition to the urge to compete.

You all can't imagine the effort it takes me to get to the right BAC to throw darts, shoot pool, or golf.

:goteam: