The Great Movie Thread

brewster

Re: The Great Movie Thread

Post by brewster » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:57 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:53 pm
I knew lots of scrawny soldiers who were stone cold killers.
It's all in the mind, the predatory instinct.
Sure, but doing it with a broadsword is a hell of a lot different than an ArmaLite rifle that was invented so scrawny kids could carry it. That kid would get murdered in a rink, on the gridiron, or on the medieval battlefield. Size matters, eh?
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:12 pm

Penner wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:44 am
Did anyone else go to see the crapfest that was Rise of Skywalker?
i didnt think it was a total disaster, it salvaged episode 8 well enough to be an improvement. granted there were a lot of stupid moments (the old dagger with the ancient sith runes that luke searched for post-episode 6 somehow lines up perfectly with the ruins of the crashed death star when viewed from a random spot on a random cliff even though the death star was thoroughly and completely exploded at the end of jedi??) and logistical complaints (how did kylo ren get off the death star ruins without a ship? why was there a MASSIVE fleet of star destroyers with millions of stormtroopers but only FOUR stormtroopers sent after rey and company on the burning man planet? why the fuck did lando abandon cloud city to stay on that burning man planet for 30 years? etc etc), but ive gotten good over the years at setting that nerd shit aside and trying to just enjoy the movie for what it is. whatever. D+

good CG on old leia, i couldnt tell if those scenes with her were real or not. young leia looked rough but visually everything else was great

brewster

Post by brewster » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:11 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:06 pm
I absolutely said the same... until episodes 6&7. Now I can’t wait to see more. Something changed - either writing or directing, or something.

EDIT - yeah, they’ve used 5 directors already, and 5 writers. Hopefully they stick with this one.
I've seen episode 6 and it was just a predictable caper of double-crosses and hackneyed criminal archetypes. Basically a 'procedural' at heart. What did you see in it that was interesting? Do the criminals do something shocking and surprising like a vendetta that spans episodes? Never seen that! /s

Maybe I am just a pain in the ass and hard to please, I disliked Firefly too, and people couldn't stop gushing about that one.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:57 pm

brewster wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:11 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:06 pm
I absolutely said the same... until episodes 6&7. Now I can’t wait to see more. Something changed - either writing or directing, or something.

EDIT - yeah, they’ve used 5 directors already, and 5 writers. Hopefully they stick with this one.
I've seen episode 6 and it was just a predictable caper of double-crosses and hackneyed criminal archetypes. Basically a 'procedural' at heart. What did you see in it that was interesting? Do the criminals do something shocking and surprising like a vendetta that spans episodes? Never seen that! /s

Maybe I am just a pain in the ass and hard to please, I disliked Firefly too, and people couldn't stop gushing about that one.
It's a big departure in tone and flavor from the rest. They brought in some actual acting chops, for one, and a little bit of world-building, with the Resistance prison ship, and fighters.

Much better dialog too - "I wasn't a stormtrooper, asshole!" made me lol.

7 is where the main plot kicks off though. :)
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Penner

Post by Penner » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:07 pm

pineapplemike wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:12 pm
Penner wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:44 am
Did anyone else go to see the crapfest that was Rise of Skywalker?
i didnt think it was a total disaster, it salvaged episode 8 well enough to be an improvement. granted there were a lot of stupid moments (the old dagger with the ancient sith runes that luke searched for post-episode 6 somehow lines up perfectly with the ruins of the crashed death star when viewed from a random spot on a random cliff even though the death star was thoroughly and completely exploded at the end of jedi??) and logistical complaints (how did kylo ren get off the death star ruins without a ship? why was there a MASSIVE fleet of star destroyers with millions of stormtroopers but only FOUR stormtroopers sent after rey and company on the burning man planet? why the fuck did lando abandon cloud city to stay on that burning man planet for 30 years? etc etc), but ive gotten good over the years at setting that nerd shit aside and trying to just enjoy the movie for what it is. whatever. D+

good CG on old leia, i couldnt tell if those scenes with her were real or not. young leia looked rough but visually everything else was great
This movie didn't anger me like Episode 8 did (especially with making Luke an attempted murder ) but didn't leave me depress. Like they could've had a much better ending than what we ended up with and instead not repeat Jedi and also not say that the Emperor was alive.

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:07 pm

A pain in your ass does please you. Merry Pissmas!

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:43 pm

Mortal Kombat was the shit. Gang gang

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:36 pm

doc_loliday wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:43 pm
Mortal Kombat was the shit. Gang gang
The Mandalorian was the shit.

Truth.

Not a movie... but better than anything from the franchise since episode 6.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:36 pm

Watching Nomadland right now on Disney+. Powerful stuff. Gobsmacked.
My old lady's tired so we'll have to finish it tomorrow.

Pretty fucking far from Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Oscars well deserved, for once.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck