The Great Movie Thread

Zlaxer

Re: The Great Movie Thread

Post by Zlaxer » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:51 am

brewster wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:00 pm
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:09 pm
I might have to see Joker next month when the Incel threat dies down. Already made the huge mistake of paying for Ad Astra.

Ad Astra *could* have been a great movie if the writers talked to literally anyone with a science degree.
Which is basically why I've stopped watching "SF" movies and most TV. They make me too mad. They're rarely written by actual SF writers, but Hollywood writers who say " how hard could it be, it's only science fiction", dig out a few tired tropes, and there it is on the screen. Yawn. I was just arguing about Interstellar with dinner guests. Great visuals do not great SF make. We need more like Moon, well executed simple idea on a shoestring budget. A few holes, like the railgun acceleration would kill him, but other than that...
The Moon is white suprematist propaganda intended to further the myth that White males drive technological advances.

Everyone knows Neil only got the job because of his privilege of being born a White male.

We need to limit the number of roles in entertainment available to white males so that other voices can be heard.

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:35 am

moon was great i remember that one

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:36 am

Written and directed by David Bowie's son.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

brewster

Post by brewster » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:42 am

Zlaxer wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:51 am
brewster wrote:
I might have to see Joker next month when the Incel threat dies down. Already made the huge mistake of paying for Ad Astra.

Ad Astra *could* have been a great movie if the writers talked to literally anyone with a science degree.
Which is basically why I've stopped watching "SF" movies and most TV. They make me too mad. They're rarely written by actual SF writers, but Hollywood writers who say " how hard could it be, it's only science fiction", dig out a few tired tropes, and there it is on the screen. Yawn. I was just arguing about Interstellar with dinner guests. Great visuals do not great SF make. We need more like Moon, well executed simple idea on a shoestring budget. A few holes, like the railgun acceleration would kill him, but other than that...
The Moon is white suprematist propaganda intended to further the myth that White males drive technological advances.

Everyone knows Neil only got the job because of his privilege of being born a White male.

We need to limit the number of roles in entertainment available to white males so that other voices can be heard.
If you're going to thread crap with snarky nonsense, at least get the movie right, you're thinking of First Man.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:46 am

brewster wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:42 am
Zlaxer wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:51 am
brewster wrote:

If you're going to thread crap with snarky nonsense, at least get the movie right, you're thinking of First Man.

Fair enough. :banana-stoner:

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:08 pm

brewster wrote:

Interstellar was dogshit too.

I never saw Moon. Is it this one? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_(film)

edit: oh, shit. It's got Guy playing as the starring role!

Amusing that zlaxer missed his iconic Hollywood double yet again.

brewster

Post by brewster » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:56 pm

Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:08 pm
I never saw Moon. Is it this one? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_(film)
That's it. Give it a shot, I could poke holes in the the plot, but it's so far above most other SF offerings, and far from the "pew pew" stereotype. It's slow and psychological, more of a story of one man trying to solve a puzzle. Don't knock Rockwell, he won a fucking Oscar last year.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:36 pm

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:47 am

This looks right up my street.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:02 pm

Ford/Ferrari was great

Jojo Rabbit was good