The Great Movie Thread

pineapplemike

Re: The Great Movie Thread

Post by pineapplemike » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:34 pm

i'm nervous for how politicized this film could be but it looks harmless, any takers?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:53 pm

Joker is going to be a huge deal.

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:27 pm

I gotta get out my 1974 DC collection now. Anybody wanna make an offer?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:08 pm

Comics are worthless, dude. Huge scam.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:11 pm

Should I just put my Superman number one in the recycling then?
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:25 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:11 pm
Should I just put my Superman number one in the recycling then?
Okay, if there is only a small run of them (before they were popular), sure.

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:02 pm

about halfway through the new Breaking Bad movie, enjoying the shit out of it, definitely worthy of the great movie thread so far

also i enjoyed Joker a lot

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:09 pm

I might have to see Joker next month when the Incel threat dies down. Already made the huge mistake of paying for Ad Astra.

Ad Astra *could* have been a great movie if the writers talked to literally anyone with a science degree.

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:56 pm

joker was a much better movie with the threat of being shot tbh, really enhanced the tension

everyone got fat in the breaking bad universe lol. after finishing it, the movie was pretty unnecessary but it was great to revisit the universe, lots of cool scenes and cinematography. i saw a quote where vince was trying to say that breaking bad wasn't required viewing but he's high as shit, half the scenes only make sense if you know the established characters. maybe there were some better call saul references that i missed but whatever, a fitting end to a series that already had a fitting end

brewster

Post by brewster » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:00 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:09 pm
I might have to see Joker next month when the Incel threat dies down. Already made the huge mistake of paying for Ad Astra.

Ad Astra *could* have been a great movie if the writers talked to literally anyone with a science degree.
Which is basically why I've stopped watching "SF" movies and most TV. They make me too mad. They're rarely written by actual SF writers, but Hollywood writers who say " how hard could it be, it's only science fiction", dig out a few tired tropes, and there it is on the screen. Yawn. I was just arguing about Interstellar with dinner guests. Great visuals do not great SF make. We need more like Moon, well executed simple idea on a shoestring budget. A few holes, like the railgun acceleration would kill him, but other than that...
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND