The Great Movie Thread

Penner

Re: The Great Movie Thread

Post by Penner » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:20 pm

Carrie Fisher's Dec. 27 death has left a disturbance in the Force. Her iconic Princess Leia is set to appear in the next two Star Wars films, and insiders tell The Hollywood Reporter that at least two key scenes are planned for Episode VIII (Dec. 15) and Episode IX (2019): a Leia reunion with Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) and a confrontation with Kylo Ren (Adam Driver), her son who killed Harrison Ford's Han Solo in 2015's The Force Awakens.

Details of where those scenes fit into the movies remain unclear, but insiders say Leia was to have been a bigger part of Episode IX than VIII. Episode VIII director Rian Johnson has finished shooting, but Episode IX doesn't have a start date; both Force Awakens and Episode VIII began production at the beginning of a year so it is very likely that Episode IX will begin shooting in early 2018 for a December 2019 release. And the status of its script, being written by Colin Trevorrow and Derek Connolly, is unknown. (Disney won't comment.)
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... ure-960849

Penner

Post by Penner » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:53 pm

I think that I mentioned this Star Wars theory once back in the day at the other place (DCF) and yes, it did come from Cracked.com:

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:33 pm

Penner wrote:I think that I mentioned this Star Wars theory once back in the day at the other place (DCF) and yes, it did come from Cracked.com:

I like it.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Penner

Post by Penner » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:17 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
Penner wrote:I think that I mentioned this Star Wars theory once back in the day at the other place (DCF) and yes, it did come from Cracked.com:

I like it.

Going back into my memories I realized that yeah, it's not quite the same fan theory that I heard in their podcast but it's similar. In that (in one of their really old podcast from like two years ago) someone mentioned that all the Star Wars films (including the Prequels) are just retellings of the Star Wars history, made hundreds if not thousands of years from that point, but that all of those films are just propaganda films because the Rebellion won and now they have to make sure that the Empire has to look really bad.

katarn

Post by katarn » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:07 pm

This doesn't even show up for me. Description?
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:26 pm

katarn wrote:This doesn't even show up for me. Description?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjChpHkXRZ8

Youtube is taking a while to play videos for me. Happened before. Just wait, it will play.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Penner

Post by Penner » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:20 pm

katarn wrote:

This doesn't even show up for me. Description?
The basic summary is that all six movies were R2's retelling of the events of movies (from his perspective). I would still watch the video because it goes into this idea deeper.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:59 pm

A couple things I stumbled across on Netflix.

Film
Riphagen: The Untouchable
Story of Dries Riphagen, the Dutch Al Capone of Amsterdam and Nazi Collaborator
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4969044/

Series
Frontier
The story of the North American Fur Trade Wars, mostly in Canada
Stars Jason Mamoa, looks pretty good
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4686698/
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Penner

Post by Penner » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:28 pm

I just saw Logan and I thought that it was one of the best X-Men movies ever made. It was certainly a good movie but it was a great X-Men movie.

Penner

Post by Penner » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:30 pm

I heard this on Reddit and I want to share it here. Recently, it has been reported that Topher Grace (that actor from That 70s Show) took the 3 Star Wars Prequels and condensed them into an 85-minute movie (with most of the bad parts either cut out entirely and/or just given it a shorter scene) and actually (supposedly) made the films watchable (and not something that I would put on my TV for background noise); also I forgot to mentioned that this was actually Grace's film editing lesson/experiment (since he does love a) Star Wars and b) is very interesting in film editing and is also trying to learn it himself.....
Last night I was invited to a secret showing of "Star Wars: The Editor Strikes Back". It was actually just an experiment spearheaded by actor Topher Grace, as he said in the intro that he has given terrible notes in "post" before and wanted to learn about the process. So he edited together all three of the Star Wars prequels into one, short 85-minute movie, focusing mostly on Anakin's arc and his path to the Dark Side, while retaining all the important details. It will probably never be shown again but was a fun look at how someone could re-cut the prequels for a much more satisfying experience. It was honestly pretty damn good.

The small, private screening was attended by about 50 people, mostly other actors, filmmakers and editors from the industry, very few press. After the screening we met up with Kyle Newman, director of Fanboys (who knows his Star Wars better than just about anyone), as well as Peter from SlashFilm and Frosty from Collider for a video blog discussion on the experience and this revised cut of the prequels. Of course, opening the book on a discussion about these prequels is almost a trap itself, as the debate will never end, but we get into it briefly. This is a fun one to watch, especially if you're a Star Wars fan (like all of us are)
http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/video- ... -prequels/

The only real thing that pisses me off is that we will never get to see this at all.