The Great Movie Thread

SuburbanFarmer

Re: The Great Movie Thread

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:49 pm

The Dirt on Netflix. Written by and about Motley Crue. That shit was legendary.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:15 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:37 pm
Hastur wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:28 pm
Finally watched The Death of Stalin. I'm a bit stunned. It's to good to be possible today. It's up there with Dr Strangelowe and Brazile. It should be mandatory viewing in every school.
It's also impossibly funny. That's the greatness of it. I'll watch it again just for the laughs.
IRL Beria was a rapist and monster but was actually extremely moderate compared to Stalin. Wanted to pardon some Gulag prisoners, give more autonomy to countries in the USSR. A monster, an absolute monster, but more nuanced than you'd think. Kruschev also came off as moderate, but like Beria he was intimately involved in the mass murders, purges, and deportations that Stalin ordered, to say nothing of the incompetence that occured during WW2. Decent movie imo. I like how the last 10 minutes shit went from comedy to serious as fuck. In a way I think it sort of broke the fourth wall. Its like, "You laughed for 90 minutes at the absurdities of Stalinism and we had a good time. Now, let me show what it was actually like to have a kangaroo court and summary execution. Its fucked. Your former "friends" are screaming at you and you are crying and soiling yourself. Then you get killed without ceremony and your corpse desecrated."

Of course, Beria was a piece of human filth, so no tears shed, but you really felt his fear. I thought that scene was incredible. He got more and more frantic and it felt real to life.
Why do you think most Netflix original movies are mostly so subpar? Is it really that bad production/directing potential or is it more they are just pumping out a higher clip so its quantity over quality same as it ever was type of thing?
The good, the true, & the beautiful

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:21 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:15 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Hastur wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:28 pm
Finally watched The Death of Stalin. I'm a bit stunned. It's to good to be possible today. It's up there with Dr Strangelowe and Brazile. It should be mandatory viewing in every school.
It's also impossibly funny. That's the greatness of it. I'll watch it again just for the laughs.
IRL Beria was a rapist and monster but was actually extremely moderate compared to Stalin. Wanted to pardon some Gulag prisoners, give more autonomy to countries in the USSR. A monster, an absolute monster, but more nuanced than you'd think. Kruschev also came off as moderate, but like Beria he was intimately involved in the mass murders, purges, and deportations that Stalin ordered, to say nothing of the incompetence that occured during WW2. Decent movie imo. I like how the last 10 minutes shit went from comedy to serious as fuck. In a way I think it sort of broke the fourth wall. Its like, "You laughed for 90 minutes at the absurdities of Stalinism and we had a good time. Now, let me show what it was actually like to have a kangaroo court and summary execution. Its fucked. Your former "friends" are screaming at you and you are crying and soiling yourself. Then you get killed without ceremony and your corpse desecrated."

Of course, Beria was a piece of human filth, so no tears shed, but you really felt his fear. I thought that scene was incredible. He got more and more frantic and it felt real to life.
Why do you think most Netflix original movies are mostly so subpar? Is it really that bad production/directing potential or is it more they are just pumping out a higher clip so its quantity over quality same as it ever was type of thing?
Dude idk. I've wondered this myself. I think that part of it is that they are trying to draw in as much people as they can to up their viewership. If you think about it, the stuff that appeals to the most people is usually not very impressive in terms of media. How many Americans watch SNL? How funny is it? How many Americans watch the Avengers movies? A lot. Is this stuff good? Not really, but it makes money. You can see this in their show models too. They had like 6 superhero shows at the same time. That stuff probably funds their more "artistic" endeavors. But yeah, I'm with you, Netflix movies tend to be shit. The Irishman looks good though.
Shikata ga nai

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:24 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:21 pm
GloryofGreece wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:15 pm
heydaralon wrote:

Dude idk. I've wondered this myself. I think that part of it is that they are trying to draw in as much people as they can to up their viewership. If you think about it, the stuff that appeals to the most people is usually not very impressive in terms of media. How many Americans watch SNL? How funny is it? How many Americans watch the Avengers movies? A lot. Is this stuff good? Not really, but it makes money. You can see this in their show models too. They had like 6 superhero shows at the same time. That stuff probably funds their more "artistic" endeavors. But yeah, I'm with you, Netflix movies tend to be shit. The Irishman looks good though.
"Dark" wasn't good really but "Triple Frontier" looks decent possibly even entertaining.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:29 pm

Triple frontier had the Margin Call director who has some talent. I saw the first 10 minutes. Boasted a very hokey looking CGI/Michael Bay gunfight. I stopped. Maybe it was a good movie idk.
Shikata ga nai

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:44 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:29 pm
Triple frontier had the Margin Call director who has some talent. I saw the first 10 minutes. Boasted a very hokey looking CGI/Michael Bay gunfight. I stopped. Maybe it was a good movie idk.
most gunfights in movies are unrealistic, as long as it isn't straight cartoonish and all the time im good with it. What about "Highwaymen"? Im watching that today or tomorrow.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:52 pm

some are pretty good. Michael Mann's gunfights seem way more real than most of them. A lot of movies and shows have done a fairly good job imo. Band of Brothers/Saving Private Ryan all had combat that looked a lot like those WW2 in color docs I've seen. Generation Kill had some great scenes that weren't utterly ridiculous. That scene in Munich when they storm the PLO headquarters in Beirut is one of my favorite action scenes of all time. Fucking brutal and gritty.

Usually when I see a shitty action sequence in movies it makes me lose interest. There are exceptions, but hollywood has beaten that horse to death. I love it in movies when someone throws a grenade and you see this huge slowly moving fireball that the main character can outrun. The Long Kiss Good Night is probably the worst example of this lol. Or when the suppresor just makes the gun sound like bubble wrap. Its like the people who made the film didn't even take 5 minutes to watch a youtube video showing a real grenade or suppressor go off, and they are just like fuck it, lets make this as terrible as possible.
Shikata ga nai

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:10 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:52 pm
some are pretty good. Michael Mann's gunfights seem way more real than most of them. A lot of movies and shows have done a fairly good job imo. Band of Brothers/Saving Private Ryan all had combat that looked a lot like those WW2 in color docs I've seen. Generation Kill had some great scenes that weren't utterly ridiculous. That scene in Munich when they storm the PLO headquarters in Beirut is one of my favorite action scenes of all time. Fucking brutal and gritty.

Usually when I see a shitty action sequence in movies it makes me lose interest. There are exceptions, but hollywood has beaten that horse to death. I love it in movies when someone throws a grenade and you see this huge slowly moving fireball that the main character can outrun. The Long Kiss Good Night is probably the worst example of this lol. Or when the suppresor just makes the gun sound like bubble wrap. Its like the people who made the film didn't even take 5 minutes to watch a youtube video showing a real grenade or suppressor go off, and they are just like fuck it, lets make this as terrible as possible.
Im going to see the Burton "Dumbo" and Im actually kind of excited...haha. Do you think good ol Walt was a positive or net negative for us?

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:20 pm

IMHO there's a lot of stuff touted as "great" today that just makes me think of this...

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:24 pm

Ph64 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:20 pm
IMHO there's a lot of stuff touted as "great" today that just makes me think of this...

I use that line a lot. Josey Wales is better than the wop westerns imo. Though not better than unforgiven.
Shikata ga nai