The Great Movie Thread

Ex-California

Re: The Great Movie Thread

Post by Ex-California » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:39 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Star Wars Rebels isn't too terrible actually
Its great
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:12 am

California wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Star Wars Rebels isn't too terrible actually
Its great
Now you are stretching. They rely on the good characters created in CW to be interesting outside of the main cast.

Kazmyr

Post by Kazmyr » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:51 am

Penner wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Yeah, they still aren't there with the technology yet. And I hope they never are, honestly.
Yeah, that would be a good thing to not to be there. I mean I guess I can see why they wanted to do it, for this time only, but the whole CGI-ing dead famous actors into roles probably shouldn't be widespread or even 100% realistic. There is the whole ethical issues but also the fact that if we can do it then there won't be any need for new actors to come up.
I heard doing a CGI Tarkin was extremely labor-intensive, so there's one barrier to doing it.

I have no problem with it if it's going to be for a minor, supporting part (a la Tarkin, with maybe 5 minutes or so of screen time?). If they decided to say, do a CGI Heath Ledger Joker for half the movie, then yeah... not gonna work.

Plus, Cushing's estate approved it. I see no ethical concerns with it. If studios start going rogue and trying to use dead actor's likenesses without permission, then they can expect lawsuits.

If Hollywood continues on the trend of sequels, prequels, and movies in-between on the timeline, then yeah, you might see it some. I think only for a select few iconic roles (e.g. Carrie Fisher and Episode IX, if she isn't just written out), but other than that, I don't see it being used. For example, there's no CGI young Billy Dee Williams for the Han Solo movie, instead, it's Donald Glover.

Although, we talk about everyone else losing their jobs to automation.... why not actors too? :whistle:
Martin Hash wrote:Liberty allows people to get their jollies any way they want. Just don't expect to masturbate with my lotion.

katarn

Post by katarn » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:32 pm

Penner wrote:
katarn wrote:
Penner wrote:
But didn't the Prequels state that all Strom Troopers were Boba Fett clones??? :o
I saw this was somewhat answered earlier, but I'm a nerd. The Clone Troopers of the Republic were clones of Jango Fett, but were also altered to grow quicker and be better, more compliant soldiers (Boba was unaltered, hence he is special). By the time of A New Hope, the growth acceleration has placed many of these clones, those who survive the Clone Wars, off active duty because of their body age being about double their linear age. So, the Empire has at some point in btewwen III and IV transitioned to non-clone, human soldiers.

Thanks for clearing that up and it does make sense.IMO, the whole clone thing was so wrong on many levels and I just wish that it would go away.
Also, (unless Disney has changed this) Stormtroopes actually aren't the stock unit of the Empire, they're the Immortals.
What, so according to the old EU, those guys in red are actually Boba Fett clones and called Immortals? I thought they were called the Emperor's Royal Gaurd?

Sorry, Immortals was an intended reference to Persian elites. The Imperial/Royal Guard are mostly not going to be clones of Jango Fett, if at all. THey are specifically the best stormtroopers selected for their extreme talent and loyalty as proven in battle.
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:27 pm

katarn wrote: Sorry, Immortals was an intended reference to Persian elites. The Imperial/Royal Guard are mostly not going to be clones of Jango Fett, if at all. THey are specifically the best stormtroopers selected for their extreme talent and loyalty as proven in battle.
NuCanon source?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:45 pm

Somebody really should redo the film from the perspective of the Empire. Lots of people now see the Rebel Alliance as the villains now.

Penner

Post by Penner » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:07 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:Somebody really should redo the film from the perspective of the Empire. Lots of people now see the Rebel Alliance as the villains now.

Nah, most of the Empire did no wrong stuff predates today by like 20+ years- well, I would guess 20+ years. I think that once you remove the idea that the Empire was just Space Nazi, it becomes easier to say that the Rebels weren't all the good. Plus, you also have a lot of the members of the Greatest Generation dying off and having a direct memory of what true horrors the Nazi were to the world.

Plus, you also have the nihilism of Generation X plus the first batch of Millenials growing up with looking up to Gen X. Also, the Prequels were horrible and made you like the Empire because the Jedis in that movie were, IMO, total assholes.

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:03 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:Somebody really should redo the film from the perspective of the Empire. Lots of people now see the Rebel Alliance as the villains now.
Got numbers?

kybkh

Post by kybkh » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:29 am

In Order:

1. Lawrence of Arabia
2. Dr Zhivago
3. The Godfather 1&2

Those 3 rise far above the rest.

Movies I can watch on repeat in order:

Spaceballs
Hobbit 1 (the first hour entertains me to no end, even the singing and shit)
The Big Lewinsky (shit auto-corrected; no need to correct)
Kingpin
“I've got a phone that allows me to convene Americans from every walk of life, nonprofits, businesses, the private sector, universities to try to bring more and more Americans together around what I think is a unifying theme..." - Obama

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:36 am

kybkh wrote:The Big Lewinsky

I don't think I want to see that one.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751