Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:54 pm
hmm

Fear and Loathing
OFFICE SPACE
Super Troopers
Stripes
The Thing
Falling Down
Shit, I forgot office space. Great call.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

brewster

Re: The Great Movie Thread

Post by brewster » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:36 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:46 pm
brewster wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:36 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:07 pm
Didn’t know about the play.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0074958/
Just opened last week starring Bryan Cranston from Breaking Bad and Tatiana Maslany from Orphan Black.
Wow.. I’d pay to see that
Wait till it's close to end of the run and it'll be cheap, dramas don't play long on Bwy these days, not like big musicals.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:12 pm

Fife wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:31 pm
OK, I'm brainstorming and blegging. I'm getting some streaming movies together for my daughter for Christmas. She's a STEM college freshman in a very challenging program at a challenging college, and has a taste for 80s/90s comedy, horror, and cult favorites. I'm looking to drill deep for some good recommendations from the peanut gallery.

Other than the original Ghostbusters, all of the Back to the Future movies, Halloween, and A Fish Called Wanda, let me have it. I'm listing those as examples of what I'm looking for. She may already have seen what you have in mind, but I'm looking for all kinds of recommendations here.

So far I've got Big Trouble in Little China, They Live, and Slingblade for this year's stocking.

Lay it on me.
Tank Girl.
:royalty-queen:

katarn

Post by katarn » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:48 pm

Fife wrote:
OK, I'm brainstorming and blegging. I'm getting some streaming movies together for my daughter for Christmas. She's a STEM college freshman in a very challenging program at a challenging college, and has a taste for 80s/90s comedy, horror, and cult favorites. I'm looking to drill deep for some good recommendations from the peanut gallery.

Other than the original Ghostbusters, all of the Back to the Future movies, Halloween, and A Fish Called Wanda, let me have it. I'm listing those as examples of what I'm looking for. She may already have seen what you have in mind, but I'm looking for all kinds of recommendations here.

So far I've got Big Trouble in Little China, They Live, and Slingblade for this year's stocking.

Lay it on me.
Drilling quite deep here, and I'm not sure if it fits what you want, but Condorman is a good cult classic. It's from '81, but most of the humor stands I would say.
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:49 am

Fife wrote:

Lay it on me.

Repo man
The Princess Bride
City Slickers
Amadeus
Alien
Aliens
Hellraiser
Evil Dead
Evil Dead II
Army of Darkness
24 Hrs.
Trading Places
Beverly Hills Cop
The Terminator
Streets of Fire
The Warriors
The Hitcher
Blade Runner
Blue Velvet
Subway
Nikita (the French one)
Highlander
Mephisto
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Splash
Roxanne
The Hidden
The Fly

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:26 pm

The Captain. Loosely based on true events.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6763252/
The good, the true, & the beautiful

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:43 pm

Just watched Bird Box (not by choice). Interesting concept, but very hard to suspend disbelief. Dumb plot, and all the bad guys are white.

Social justice has fully infected the thriller/horror genre.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:28 am

Fife wrote:

Lay it on me.
:lol: Are you putting together a list of shit you like, or something she might like ?

OK, 80s/90s comedy, horror
Death Becomes Her
Little Shop of Horrors
Evil Dead
Creep Show
Gremlins
Fright Night
Beetle Juice
Lake Placid
and throw in Stalag 17...... no one remembers it, but its a Christmas flick and one of the most underrated movies in history. Has comedy and is a thriller all in one...……...Bill Holden can't be beat.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:20 am

If we are going 80s now you have to include American Werewolf in London.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:07 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:20 am
If we are going 80s now you have to include American Werewolf in London.
Great movie.