The Great Movie Thread

heydaralon

Re: The Great Movie Thread

Post by heydaralon » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:29 pm

I am really excited about the film The House that Jack Built. It is an art house film about a serial killer, except it doesn't offer a happy ending. There is supposed to be all sorts of graphic indefensible violence in this film. It made audience members walk out. It looks awesome! Probably another masterpiece by Lars Von Trier. That dude knows how to piss people off and alienate his own fans. Guy is a great troll and he takes his trolling up a notch from what I've read. This might be the movie of the year for all we know. It has that potential.

Consider me intrigued!
Shikata ga nai

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:08 pm

Just watched Pompeii.

Not very historically accurate or realistic but it was a great romp with some good sets, excellent SFX and I liked the central message. Don't fuck with the Brit or everyone dies. ;)
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:43 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:08 pm
Just watched Pompeii.

Not very historically accurate or realistic but it was a great romp with some good sets, excellent SFX and I liked the central message. Don't fuck with the Brit or everyone dies. ;)

That movie looks like it sucks man.
Shikata ga nai

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:53 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:43 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Just watched Pompeii.

Like I said, not the movie for you if you want historical accuracy or even geological correctness but it was more fun than the usual comic book crap which normally attracts all the big SFX money. The main characters were likeable, the fight scenes were good and the sets believable.
For a bit of brain-dead entertainment, I would recommend it. Better than that Gladiators shite with the wooden Russel Crow.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:55 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:53 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
Just watched Pompeii.

Like I said, not the movie for you if you want historical accuracy or even geological correctness but it was more fun than the usual comic book crap which attracts all the big SFX money normally. The main characters were likeable, the fight scenes were good and the sets believable.
For a bit of brain-dead entertainment, I would recommend it. Better than that Gladiators shite with the wooden Russel Crow.
What is your favorite film monte?
Shikata ga nai

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:14 pm

watched these two back to back this week

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:15 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:55 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:53 pm
heydaralon wrote:

Like I said, not the movie for you if you want historical accuracy or even geological correctness but it was more fun than the usual comic book crap which attracts all the big SFX money normally. The main characters were likeable, the fight scenes were good and the sets believable.
What is your favorite film monte?
That's like asking what my favourite song is.
Really hards to narrow it down to one but for a long time I would have answered ''One flew over the cuckoo's nest''.
The film I've watched the most times has to be ''the Blues Brothers''.
The film that made me think about it afterwards the most in the last few years was ''perfect sense'' with Ewan McGreggor.
If you've never seen the last one (most people haven't) I thoroughly recommend it.
That film certainly belongs in this ''Great'' movies thread.

Pompeii really doesn't and to be honest I wrote the review mostly for the pleasure of writing ''don't fuck with the Brit or everybody dies'' ;)

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:18 pm

pineapplemike wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:14 pm
watched these two back to back this week

Great review Mike, a picture says a thousand words right? So that's like a two thousand word essay. ;)

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:03 am

I watched the all-girl Ghostbusters film last night.
As you all know, I hate to be contrarian but it wasn't all that bad. I laughed a few times and enjoyed the satirical content. The dumb blonde secretary being a man for a change was a good example of this.
7/10

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:31 pm

OK, I'm brainstorming and blegging. I'm getting some streaming movies together for my daughter for Christmas. She's a STEM college freshman in a very challenging program at a challenging college, and has a taste for 80s/90s comedy, horror, and cult favorites. I'm looking to drill deep for some good recommendations from the peanut gallery.

Other than the original Ghostbusters, all of the Back to the Future movies, Halloween, and A Fish Called Wanda, let me have it. I'm listing those as examples of what I'm looking for. She may already have seen what you have in mind, but I'm looking for all kinds of recommendations here.

So far I've got Big Trouble in Little China, They Live, and Slingblade for this year's stocking.

Lay it on me.