SuburbanFarmer

Re: The Great Movie Thread

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:10 am

C-Mag wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:07 am
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:00 pm
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

7 short stories by the Coen Brothers, set in the old west. Combination of tall tales and, maybe, a more 'real' West than you've ever seen. It's very, very good.
I watched it last night, it was enjoyable.

The Cohen Bros really know how to let a good story tell itself on the screen. They don't out think the story, they just focus on the story.

The Walking Dead is a prime example of a show that is no longer telling a story. The execs behind that show, years ago, thought it should all be about character development and interesting characters, leaving the story to become a zombie. It's a big problem right now in the industry.
Yeah that show was great for 2-3 seasons. Then it died.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:16 am

The opening Buster Skruggs short was fantastic, I could have watched a 90 minute story of that guy.

I thought what the Coens got right and were very patient about was allowing the various pieces to have nothing happen at all. Broken up with periods of intense action. Very well done, spoke to the West very well.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:28 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:16 am
The opening Buster Skruggs short was fantastic, I could have watched a 90 minute story of that guy.

I thought what the Coens got right and were very patient about was allowing the various pieces to have nothing happen at all. Broken up with periods of intense action. Very well done, spoke to the West very well.
If you interested this guy has put out good higher level analysis on the mythology of the West. He's a Masters candidate currently. He has a good voice, storytelling ability, and solid documentation.
https://inwardempirepodcast.wordpress.com/
The good, the true, & the beautiful

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:48 pm

GoG
found this awesome old news commentary at the link, I love it
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:06 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:16 am

Yeah it was a good movie for sure. The opening with those violent musicals were great!
Shikata ga nai

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:07 pm

Very often when I think of the Western frontier, pioneering, gun slinging etc. of I have images of Clint Eastwood and classic movies etc. but from an experiential / personal level I always think of my adopted father's father. He was a three sport athlete in high school that went on to play major league baseball. Long story shorter, he blew his shoulder out and never made it far into the professional levels. But my memories of him are filled with going with him to VMI watching him coach young men there, shooting his many guns on his ranch, looking at all his weapons all about his old farm house, seeing the Blue ridge Mountains in the background, and hearing about his many hunting trips. He was a large mountain of a man himself. Real knife fights, bar room brawls etc. and allegedly killing a man in a fight in Hondorus or some other central American place where he was at for baseball for some reason. Anyway, he passed away in his early 50s from a heart attack (one of his brothers died in his late thirties from the same thing). I always envision him as a gun slinger/cowboy. I still have the Budweiser can he shot right in the middle of the emblem with his revolver one day I was visiting as a little kid.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:13 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:07 pm
Very often when I think of the Western frontier, pioneering, gun slinging etc. of I have images of Clint Eastwood and classic movies etc. but from an experiential / personal level I always think of my adopted father's father. He was a three sport athlete in high school that went on to play major league baseball. Long story shorter, he blew his shoulder out and never made it far into the professional levels. But my memories of him are filled with going with him to VMI watching him coach young men there, shooting his many guns on his ranch, looking at all his weapons all about his old farm house, seeing the Blue ridge Mountains in the background, and hearing about his many hunting trips. He was a large mountain of a man himself. Real knife fights, bar room brawls etc. and allegedly killing a man in a fight in Hondorus or some other central American place where he was at for baseball for some reason. Anyway, he passed away in his early 50s from a heart attack (one of his brothers died in his late thirties from the same thing). I always envision him as a gun slinger/cowboy. I still have the Budweiser can he shot right in the middle of the emblem with his revolver one day I was visiting as a little kid.
You should write a book or longform article about his life. I'd like to hear the Honduran fight to the death and the bar brawl/knife fights he got into.
Shikata ga nai

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:16 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:13 pm
GloryofGreece wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:07 pm
You should write a book or longform article about his life. I'd like to hear the Honduran fight to the death and the bar brawl/knife fights he got into.
That's a good idea! Thanks. He's quite the myth in my mind and soul. Fortunately, his former wife and son are still alive and provide anecdotes, reflections, and actual documentation as well. Even for nothing else it would help me integrate him more fully into my own life.

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:26 am

Marvel Studios' Black Panther has earned three Golden Globe nominations, including a "Best Motion Picture - Drama" nod.

In the "Best Motion Picture - Drama" category, Black Panther is in contention with BlacKkKlansman, Bohemian Rhapsody, If Beale Street Could Talk, and A Star Is Born.
lol

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:40 pm