The Great Movie Thread

Okeefenokee

Re: The Great Movie Thread

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:49 pm

I haven't seen it yet. I don't like theaters. I rarely see a movie in a theater. After Independence Day, it'll probably be ten years before I go back. What a pile of shit.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Kazmyr

Post by Kazmyr » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:58 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:I haven't seen it yet. I don't like theaters. I rarely see a movie in a theater. After Independence Day, it'll probably be ten years before I go back. What a pile of shit.
The new one?
Martin Hash wrote:Liberty allows people to get their jollies any way they want. Just don't expect to masturbate with my lotion.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:59 pm

Kazmyr wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:I haven't seen it yet. I don't like theaters. I rarely see a movie in a theater. After Independence Day, it'll probably be ten years before I go back. What a pile of shit.
The new one?
yeah
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Kazmyr

Post by Kazmyr » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:07 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
Kazmyr wrote:
The new one?
yeah
I almost went to see it, thank God I didn't. I enjoyed the first one (so bad as to be entertaining).

Yeah, theaters suck. I think I've seen 4 movies in theaters in the past 8 years. The Showcase cinema recliner deal makes it slightly more appealing, but not more appealing than being at home in my underwear with copious amounts of liquor store (read: reasonable) priced beer.
Martin Hash wrote:Liberty allows people to get their jollies any way they want. Just don't expect to masturbate with my lotion.

Penner

Post by Penner » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:51 pm

Kazmyr wrote:I'll +1 the Rogue One comments. REALLY enjoyed it.

And Vader man.... daaaaaaamn. :twisted:

For those that have seen it - thoughts on the CGI characters?
Peter Cushing wasn't bad too look at, and at times did feel like he was really being filmed, but if you stare at his mouth it felt weird, like an uncanny valley type of weird. Also, the CGI Princess Leia was just weird.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:03 pm

Yeah, they still aren't there with the technology yet. And I hope they never are, honestly.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Penner

Post by Penner » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:57 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Yeah, they still aren't there with the technology yet. And I hope they never are, honestly.
Yeah, that would be a good thing to not to be there. I mean I guess I can see why they wanted to do it, for this time only, but the whole CGI-ing dead famous actors into roles probably shouldn't be widespread or even 100% realistic. There is the whole ethical issues but also the fact that if we can do it then there won't be any need for new actors to come up.

katarn

Post by katarn » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:53 pm

Penner wrote:
Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:
Penner wrote:
Have you ever been to this subreddit before? There is some pretty shocking stuff there about the Rebellion!

https://www.reddit.com/r/EmpireDidNothingWrong/
Come on! It is a guerrilla force fighting against her own, technically legitimate state. Obviously they are terrorists.

Did ya'll think the rebellion never did anything morally questionable in their fight to bring down a galactic empire? And unless the Empire has full, lifetime conscription or something, the rebels definitely hurt imperial civilians.
But didn't the Prequels state that all Strom Troopers were Boba Fett clones??? :o
I saw this was somewhat answered earlier, but I'm a nerd. The Clone Troopers of the Republic were clones of Jango Fett, but were also altered to grow quicker and be better, more compliant soldiers (Boba was unaltered, hence he is special). By the time of A New Hope, the growth acceleration has placed many of these clones, those who survive the Clone Wars, off active duty because of their body age being about double their linear age. So, the Empire has at some point in btewwen III and IV transitioned to non-clone, human soldiers.

Also, (unless Disney has changed this) Stormtroopes actually aren't the stock unit of the Empire, they're the Immortals.
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

katarn

Post by katarn » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:56 pm

KerningChameleon wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Nobody knows anymore. Disney wiped out 30 years of Expanded Universe, so it's all about what's in the movies now.
What do you mean? I used to read some of those novels and comics as a kid. Did they pull them off the shelves?
Fine, I'll take the nerd bait. Disney declared almost all EU material non-canon. Star Wars Legacy, they refer to it now. You can still buy the stuff off Amazon or whatever, but the events therein have no bearing in the continuity they're building now. Like, no Luke Han and Leia squaring off against Thrawn or Chewie getting a moon dropped on his head or whatever. If it wasn't in the original six movies, it ain't canon. One of the few exceptions is, of all things, that CGI Clone Wars cartoon they did years ago. (and, as people like to joke, the Holiday Special, though I suspect Disney is silently making an exception in that case)

That said, they have no problem cribbing elements from the old stuff when it suits them. For example, in the pre-New Hope (and, pre-Rouge One, I suppose) Rebels cartoon they're doing now, they've got Thrawn as the arc baddie against the protagonists for the current season. And everything they put out now is now considered equally canon with the movies, none of that tiered crap the old EU had.
That heirarchy was pretty weird. The convolution put the 6 movies on top, the any other thing Lucas said below that, followed in some descending order by the novels, comics, etc. Its no wonder the main continuity ended up rather confusing if you didn't take pains to learn it.
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

Penner

Post by Penner » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:06 pm

katarn wrote:
Penner wrote:
Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:
Come on! It is a guerrilla force fighting against her own, technically legitimate state. Obviously they are terrorists.

Did ya'll think the rebellion never did anything morally questionable in their fight to bring down a galactic empire? And unless the Empire has full, lifetime conscription or something, the rebels definitely hurt imperial civilians.
But didn't the Prequels state that all Strom Troopers were Boba Fett clones??? :o
I saw this was somewhat answered earlier, but I'm a nerd. The Clone Troopers of the Republic were clones of Jango Fett, but were also altered to grow quicker and be better, more compliant soldiers (Boba was unaltered, hence he is special). By the time of A New Hope, the growth acceleration has placed many of these clones, those who survive the Clone Wars, off active duty because of their body age being about double their linear age. So, the Empire has at some point in btewwen III and IV transitioned to non-clone, human soldiers.

Thanks for clearing that up and it does make sense.IMO, the whole clone thing was so wrong on many levels and I just wish that it would go away.
Also, (unless Disney has changed this) Stormtroopes actually aren't the stock unit of the Empire, they're the Immortals.
What, so according to the old EU, those guys in red are actually Boba Fett clones and called Immortals? I thought they were called the Emperor's Royal Gaurd?