The Great Movie Thread

Okeefenokee

Re: The Great Movie Thread

Post by Okeefenokee » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:52 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:I don't know much about Star Wars, but I've heard the clones were the first batch, but later on they weren't clones anymore.
Nobody knows anymore. Disney wiped out 30 years of Expanded Universe, so it's all about what's in the movies now.
So Finn was a cloning mistake.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:55 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:I don't know much about Star Wars, but I've heard the clones were the first batch, but later on they weren't clones anymore.
Nobody knows anymore. Disney wiped out 30 years of Expanded Universe, so it's all about what's in the movies now.
What do you mean? I used to read some of those novels and comics as a kid. Did they pull them off the shelves?

KerningChameleon

Post by KerningChameleon » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:14 am

TheReal_ND wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Nobody knows anymore. Disney wiped out 30 years of Expanded Universe, so it's all about what's in the movies now.
What do you mean? I used to read some of those novels and comics as a kid. Did they pull them off the shelves?
Fine, I'll take the nerd bait. Disney declared almost all EU material non-canon. Star Wars Legacy, they refer to it now. You can still buy the stuff off Amazon or whatever, but the events therein have no bearing in the continuity they're building now. Like, no Luke Han and Leia squaring off against Thrawn or Chewie getting a moon dropped on his head or whatever. If it wasn't in the original six movies, it ain't canon. One of the few exceptions is, of all things, that CGI Clone Wars cartoon they did years ago. (and, as people like to joke, the Holiday Special, though I suspect Disney is silently making an exception in that case)

That said, they have no problem cribbing elements from the old stuff when it suits them. For example, in the pre-New Hope (and, pre-Rouge One, I suppose) Rebels cartoon they're doing now, they've got Thrawn as the arc baddie against the protagonists for the current season. And everything they put out now is now considered equally canon with the movies, none of that tiered crap the old EU had.
"Old World Blues.' It refers to those so obsessed with the past they can't see the present, much less the future, for what it is. They stare into the what-was...as the realities of their world continue on around them." -Fallout New Vegas

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:19 am

Yep

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:31 am

Okeefenokee wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
So Finn was a cloning mistake.
That's racist bro!
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:14 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
There are books that are accepted in the Canon
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:23 am

Star Wars Rebels isn't too terrible actually
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Kazmyr

Post by Kazmyr » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:30 am

I'll +1 the Rogue One comments. REALLY enjoyed it.

And Vader man.... daaaaaaamn. :twisted:

For those that have seen it - thoughts on the CGI characters?
Martin Hash wrote:Liberty allows people to get their jollies any way they want. Just don't expect to masturbate with my lotion.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:35 am

Kazmyr wrote:I'll +1 the Rogue One comments. REALLY enjoyed it.

And Vader man.... daaaaaaamn. :twisted:

For those that have seen it - thoughts on the CGI characters?
Didn't do anything for me really.. But WOW the scene with Vader was awesome... I really wish they could have showed his power more in the original 3.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Kazmyr

Post by Kazmyr » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:09 pm

We finally got to see the reason why Vader terrified the shit out of the galaxy. I think I might have actually let out a whispered "...holy fuck!" at the end of that scene.

I've seen people losing their shit over the CGI characters, running the gamut from "they looked TERRIBLE and it takes away from the movie!" to "It's not ethical and it takes away from the movie!" I don't know why some people are so hung up on them (the latter of those grievances is utter crap). I thought they were fine (even knowing about 1 of them in advance), and actually kind of cool to bring back a particular interpretation of a character. It wasn't overused, either.
Martin Hash wrote:Liberty allows people to get their jollies any way they want. Just don't expect to masturbate with my lotion.