Woodworking thread

heydaralon

Re: Woodworking thread

Post by heydaralon » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:24 pm

I think all those medieval weapons are pretty cool. Monte, could a longbow arrow pierce through that armor? Also, how common was the morning star flail as a medieval weapon? Is that a movie thing, or was it widely used on the battlefield?
Shikata ga nai

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:34 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:24 pm
I think all those medieval weapons are pretty cool. Monte, could a longbow arrow pierce through that armor? Also, how common was the morning star flail as a medieval weapon? Is that a movie thing, or was it widely used on the battlefield?
As I understand it, armour's main job was to disperse the energy of a missile or weapon blow. The layers of quilted material underneath it were what stopped the penetration. A bodkin arrowhead could penetrate cheaper wrought iron armour at shorter ranges but was mostly ineffective against high quality steel plate. Longbows were very effective against horses and poorly armoured infantry though.

The flail was a weapon which could get around a shield and was cheap to produce so I imagine it was fairly common.
The spear and other forms of polearm were the most commonly used weapons on the battlefield.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:02 pm

Hastur wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:21 am
The movie describes an attempt to split a thirteen meter long log of pine tree. The riving was done by radial cuts. The original was found in the spire of the church of Hardemo southwest of Örebro city in the province of Närke. The church was built approximately between 1180 – 1220. These rafts are produced from the log by a method which never been documented before. One side of the rafts is raw sapwood which is rare in churches from the Middle age. All woodworking is done with tools that are modeled on archaeological findings. The felling and riving of the tree are performed with a few axes and tools.

The movie Medieval wood riven describes an experiment grounded from the medieval roofing project. The project is financed by the Swedish church- Strängnäs.
The movie was recorded 29 March until 1 April 2016 in Ryfors, Mullsjö, Sweden.
Pretty damn cool.
I've used a Broad Axe, should say I tried to use a Broad Axe. It's tricky as hell, not intuitive at all and has to be learned, it's a real skill. Same with using and Adze. You have to be able to duplicate the same exact swing, accurately every time. Broadaxes and Adzes vary greatly in size, weight and length because the tool has to fit the person, their range of motion and how they stand addressing the log.............. it's one of the hardest tools I've ever tried to use.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:42 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:02 pm
Hastur wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:21 am
The movie describes an attempt to split a thirteen meter long log of pine tree. The riving was done by radial cuts. The original was found in the spire of the church of Hardemo southwest of Örebro city in the province of Närke. The church was built approximately between 1180 – 1220. These rafts are produced from the log by a method which never been documented before. One side of the rafts is raw sapwood which is rare in churches from the Middle age. All woodworking is done with tools that are modeled on archaeological findings. The felling and riving of the tree are performed with a few axes and tools.

The movie Medieval wood riven describes an experiment grounded from the medieval roofing project. The project is financed by the Swedish church- Strängnäs.
The movie was recorded 29 March until 1 April 2016 in Ryfors, Mullsjö, Sweden.
Pretty damn cool.
I've used a Broad Axe, should say I tried to use a Broad Axe. It's tricky as hell, not intuitive at all and has to be learned, it's a real skill. Same with using and Adze. You have to be able to duplicate the same exact swing, accurately every time. Broadaxes and Adzes vary greatly in size, weight and length because the tool has to fit the person, their range of motion and how they stand addressing the log.............. it's one of the hardest tools I've ever tried to use.
I noticed that they seem to have shin protectors to stop them chopping their legs when they are swinging the axe towards themselves.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:58 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:42 pm
C-Mag wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:02 pm

Pretty damn cool.
I noticed that they seem to have shin protectors to stop them chopping their legs when they are swinging the axe towards themselves.
Yeah, both tools you swing toward yourself, for me that was a big deal trying to use the Broad Axe. What I learned is you work really deliberate and easy, let the tool do all the work, very methodical.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:37 pm

You see directly the effect of carbon taxes on European citizens. They have to use primitve axes to fell trees, and forgo the use of modern technology like chainsaws. Many of them are forced to drink water out of the same container their defecate in, because indoor plumbing is a curiosity in that part of the world. I pray every day for that continent, and hope that one day they will learn the ins and outs of things like boiling water to kill cholera or using toilet paper instead of a handful of pine needles.
Shikata ga nai

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:08 am

Nice little project.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:30 pm

Made a good start to my dresser, I'm very slow at cabinetry though and I'm easily distracted so it's taking a while.

The antique oak worktop came out of a skip (dumpster) at the 14th century manour house I worked at a couple of years ago.

It took me the best part of a day to line up the two pieces of worktop and get them level and square so that the join was neat.

The oak took a lot of sanding and countless layers of natural hard wax oil.

The pine frame will be hidden behind planed oak planks like the one sat on the top so only the oak will be visible. If I can find the planks a bit cheaper in the city I'll use them to panel the sides as well, if not I'll paint the plywood a nice Morrocan red to match the other side of my kitchen.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:43 am

Woh, nice one dude
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:49 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:43 am
Woh, nice one dude
Cheers, I'm looking at oak flooring now because I can't face the front of the dresser till I know the thickness of the floor.
I am undecided between these two...

Leaning more towards the first.