Woodworking thread

Montegriffo

Re: Woodworking thread

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:11 am

Hastur wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:21 am
The movie describes an attempt to split a thirteen meter long log of pine tree. The riving was done by radial cuts. The original was found in the spire of the church of Hardemo southwest of Örebro city in the province of Närke. The church was built approximately between 1180 – 1220. These rafts are produced from the log by a method which never been documented before. One side of the rafts is raw sapwood which is rare in churches from the Middle age. All woodworking is done with tools that are modeled on archaeological findings. The felling and riving of the tree are performed with a few axes and tools.

The movie Medieval wood riven describes an experiment grounded from the medieval roofing project. The project is financed by the Swedish church- Strängnäs.
The movie was recorded 29 March until 1 April 2016 in Ryfors, Mullsjö, Sweden.
Cheers I enjoyed that.
Some great axe work, must take a while to become so accurate when hewing the final surface.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:38 am

Wow, that was neat.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:57 am

For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:02 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:57 am
https://imgur.com/gallery/lk75d0u

:whistle:
very cool!

I like those big siege crossbows as well.
Shikata ga nai

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:14 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:02 pm
Montegriffo wrote:

very cool!

Great effort considering the guy only had a week to design and build it.
Should last pretty well as there is not too much counterweight for the size of the timber. Gets a good distance too.
Nice little trigger mechanism he made.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:47 pm

Their newest stunt involves the building of a real, actual catapult. Or, really: a trebuchet. As they explain it:

Since the Trump administration is committed to using 12th-century military technology to protect our country from Mexican invaders, we have responded in kind by building a 30-foot trebuchet, a medieval catapult designed to destroy walls. We paid 300 gold to increase its attack damage, so it’s very powerful.

Furthermore, addressing the question of whether or not they're threatening the American government, they explain:

ARE YOU GOING TO KNOCK DOWN THE WALL WITH YOUR TREBUCHET?

For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. We cannot possibly overstate that we are not going to crush Trump’s twenty-billion-dollar wall with our totally badass trebuchet. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.
https://mashable.com/2017/12/04/cards-a ... urope=true

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:46 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:14 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:02 pm
Montegriffo wrote:

very cool!

Great effort considering the guy only had a week to design and build it.
Should last pretty well as there is not too much counterweight for the size of the timber. Gets a good distance too.
Nice little trigger mechanism he made.
Why are you so into trebuchets Monte? Are you really into Medieval history? Do you ever perform at Renassiance Fairs?
Shikata ga nai

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:16 pm

Why isn't everybody so into trebuchets? They're awesome.

I'm surrounded by medieval buildings from castles to cornershops, it would be a shame to not find them interesting.

We don't really have Renassiance Fairs here like you have.
We have rennactments of major Civil War or War of the Roses battles. Often on the site of the original battle.
I've not been to any of the major ones.

Tewkesbury is probably the largest.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:30 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:16 pm

I'm surrounded by medieval buildings from castles to cornershops, it would be a shame to not find them interesting.

We have rennactments of major Civil War or War of the Roses battles. Often on the site of the original battle.

That armor looks movie set quality. Pretty cool. Its probably an expensive hobby.
Shikata ga nai

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:55 am

heydaralon wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:30 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:16 pm

That armor looks movie set quality. Pretty cool. Its probably an expensive hobby.
Thousands of pounds for handmade armour. You can get wearable armour from £999 but whether you could fight properly in it is doubtful.

https://medieval-armour.com/medieval-ar ... nal-armour

Templar swords currently on offer down to £289 from £569
https://medieval-armour.com/swords/templar-swords