Woodworking thread

Speaker to Animals

Re: Woodworking thread

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat May 26, 2018 1:31 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 1:07 pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephilim
The Nephilim /ˈnɛfɪˌlɪm/ (Hebrew: נְפִילִים‬, nefilim) were the offspring of the "sons of God" and the "daughters of men" before the Deluge, according to Genesis 6:1–4 of the Bible.

A similar or identical biblical Hebrew term, read as "Nephilim" by some scholars, or as the word "fallen" by others, appears in Ezekiel 32:27.[1][2]

When people began to multiply on the face of the ground, and daughters were born to them, the sons of God saw that they were fair; and they took wives for themselves of all that they chose. Then the Lord said, “My spirit shall not abide in mortals forever, for they are flesh; their days shall be one hundred twenty years.” The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went in to the daughters of humans, who bore children to them. These were the heroes that were of old, warriors of renown.
— Genesis 6:1–4, New Revised Standard Version

Christian and Jewish tradition equate that to the children of Seth and the children of Cain. There exists a minority of people who believed the sons of God implied angels, and the apocryphal book of Enoch states this. But that is not how tradition interprets it.

It makes more sense to understand it in the orthodox sense. The giants are an admixture of two different kinds of humans.

The character Grendel is based on this as well. Most not Christian/Jewish accounts of them are of a similar nature. The Indians speak of them kidnapping women, for instance. The Apache hate them more than even the Hebrews did.

Other commonalities are that they eat humans. They are violent. Interactions with them bring about mutual feelings of animosity (mark of Cain analog).

If they still exist, we probably need to kill them.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:47 am

Well gents, it was that time of year again, so I built another go-kart to raffle off for my Rotary club.

Got $75 bucks for it!
Last edited by de officiis on Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:56 am

Thanks for posting all those construction photos. I looked at each of them closely a couple times. When I was a kid, a friend of mine lived in a neighborhood that made go-karts and had a race. It’s one of my memories that sticks out. The winning one looked like yours.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:26 am

Beautifully made but why such a tall seat?
Not great for downhill racing.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:55 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:26 am
My guess is that it serves as a rudimentary roll cage.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:10 am

Hastur wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:55 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:26 am
My guess is that it serves as a rudimentary roll cage.
Yes, also gives mom and dad something to push.🙂

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:16 am

What it really needs is an attachment for a beer keg behind the seat so you can connect drinking hoses straight to the driver.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:19 am

From all us Unconquered Seminole Tribe,Hard Rock,Millions of our customers,Vets,Current Seminole serving,Seminole American Top Team MMA.Defeat liberal left May 10,1842Pres.John Taylor,1,500troops defeat.We never sign peace treaty.Constitution our constitution never to be changed

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:21 am

The movie describes an attempt to split a thirteen meter long log of pine tree. The riving was done by radial cuts. The original was found in the spire of the church of Hardemo southwest of Örebro city in the province of Närke. The church was built approximately between 1180 – 1220. These rafts are produced from the log by a method which never been documented before. One side of the rafts is raw sapwood which is rare in churches from the Middle age. All woodworking is done with tools that are modeled on archaeological findings. The felling and riving of the tree are performed with a few axes and tools.

The movie Medieval wood riven describes an experiment grounded from the medieval roofing project. The project is financed by the Swedish church- Strängnäs.
The movie was recorded 29 March until 1 April 2016 in Ryfors, Mullsjö, Sweden.
Last edited by Hastur on Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:51 am

Carving a chip bird from fresh aspen wood. Third generation artist Thord Mellgren.