Woodworking thread

Okeefenokee

Woodworking thread

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:53 pm

Probably just gonna be me and DeO in here.

Steadily working on getting the garage cleared out to restart my shop.

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

SuburbanFarmer

Re: Woodworking thread

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:00 pm

This is one of those skills I wish I'd developed as a boy. Engage lurker mode.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:27 pm

It's an easy hobby to get into even if you didn't grow up with it.

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:32 pm

I've been working on some pallet projects, but I need a planer.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:18 am

I'm glad you started this thread. Now when I get stuck on a project I'll have somewhere to go :D

I haven't done any woodworking since my go-kart project this spring.

The kart was raffled off for my Rotary Club in October. I think I'll make another one next year, maybe use some color stains instead of paint just to bring out the natural beauty of the wood.

I got a DeWalt router over the summer and some Whiteside 1/2" bits but haven't started using it yet. I need to make new handrails for my deck, but ran out of time and winter came. Space in the garage is a major issue so I got this portable router table--which I also haven't used yet. Dammit!

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:13 pm

I've got a two car garage that will make a nice shop, but it's been filled to the ceiling with boxes since we moved in. I think back to when I joined the army and didn't own more than a bag of clothes... how did I get all this shit?

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:23 pm

de officiis wrote:I'm glad you started this thread. Now when I get stuck on a project I'll have somewhere to go :D

I haven't done any woodworking since my go-kart project this spring.

The kart was raffled off for my Rotary Club in October. I think I'll make another one next year, maybe use some color stains instead of paint just to bring out the natural beauty of the wood.

I got a DeWalt router over the summer and some Whiteside 1/2" bits but haven't started using it yet. I need to make new handrails for my deck, but ran out of time and winter came. Space in the garage is a major issue so I got this portable router table--which I also haven't used yet. Dammit!

Nice looking kart, British racing green too. Did it race in a soap box derby?
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:45 pm

You know what you can make out of wood?
One of these........

For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:24 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:I've got a two car garage that will make a nice shop, but it's been filled to the ceiling with boxes since we moved in. I think back to when I joined the army and didn't own more than a bag of clothes... how did I get all this shit?
I know the feeling. Amazing how stuff accumulates. My wife's kind of a purger, though, so I guess that's a plus (as long as she doesn't purge any of my stuff).

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:29 pm

Montegriffo wrote:Nice looking kart, British racing green too. Did it race in a soap box derby?
I thought that green color was great. It's just your basic Rustoleum color off the shelf at the local hardware store.

The kart was handed over pristine/unused to the lady who won the final drawing, so I have no idea what might have become of it since then.

I think it would be great to organize a community soap box derby. I know just the hill downtown that would work. Look how much fun these folks are having... (watch for the hot tub)