Wintertime Hobbies

de officiis

Wintertime Hobbies

Post by de officiis » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:10 pm

Got any?

I finally finished my Tamiya StuG III Ausf. B model. It's been sitting around the house for a dog's age (> 10 years!) so I finally decided I'd better build it, since it was a birthday gift and I'd feel guilty building a model I bought more recently before tackling it.

Other than making it a little muddy and worn, I really didn't do to much with the exterior. The model does have a partial interior which I finished out and painted, even though with most of the hatches closed, you really can't see it. It looks more or less like this one.

The Sturmgeschütz III (StuG III) assault gun was Germany's most produced armoured fighting vehicle during World War II. It was built on the chassis of the Panzer III tank, replacing the turret with a fixed superstructure. It was initially intended as a armoured light gun for direct-fire support for infantry.

The Ausf. B model was produced by Alkett from June 1940-May 1941 and mounted the 75 mm KwK 37 L/24 short-barreled tank gun for close support, firing a high-explosive shell.

This guy in the UK has been rebuilding a StuG III Ausf. C/D. Imagine trying to find parts for something like this. :shock:

Xenophon

Re: Wintertime Hobbies

Post by Xenophon » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:45 pm

I usually make it a point to play Battlefield a lot when it gets close to Christmas. I'm not sure why.

I also like to light scented candles and frolic through the house like a Christmas elf. I guess it comes from growing up with a poverty stricken redneck version of Ebenezer Scrooge.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:51 pm

de officiis wrote:Got any?
I'm boarding some executive's dogs for the winter, while their owners are in Europe, at a premium of course, so more of a paid hobby, but they're not big dogs, and I like dogs, so can hardly call it work.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:57 pm

Breaking ice in the dark at 0530 in order to get the duck boat launched is a pretty good hobby.

:D

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:03 pm

Fife wrote:Breaking ice in the dark at 0530 in order to get the duck boat launched is a pretty good hobby.

I tried to get out onto the broad where I kept my boat once when it was frozen solid. Two of us smashing ice managed to get our canoe about 40yds in half an hour before we gave up.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:54 pm

Fife wrote:Breaking ice in the dark at 0530 in order to get the duck boat launched is a pretty good hobby.

It is. Sometimes I wish I didn't live so far away from our family's spots
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:55 pm

My wintertime hobbies are the same as my summertime hobbies. Just takes more neoprene
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:09 pm

Scotch.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:14 pm

Dink. Sleep. Shit post.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:23 pm

I think my hobby this winter is going to be posting trebuchet memes....

For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.