The Octagon

StCapps

The Octagon

Post by StCapps » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:47 pm

As the MHF's foremost fight head, I figured it was up to me to provide a venue to discuss the past, present and future of unarmed hand to hand combat, within the context of prizefighting, combat sports and martial arts in particular. A place to discuss all things MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, Wrestling, Jiu-Jitsu, Judo, Sambo, etc.

Of course, being a prizefighting thread, as the first entry, it will require the hanging of a portrait of the biggest draw in combat sports, just to make it official.

Lovely.

Gentlemen, St. Conor.
*yip*

Haumana

Re: The Octagon

Post by Haumana » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:52 pm

StCapps wrote:As the MHF's foremost fight head, I figured it was up to me to provide a venue to discuss the past, present and future of unarmed hand to hand combat, within the context of prizefighting, combat sports and martial arts in particular. A place to discuss all things MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, Wrestling, Jiu-Jitsu, Judo, Sambo, etc.

Of course, being a prizefighting thread, as the first entry, it will require the hanging of a portrait of the biggest draw in combat sports, just to make it official.

Lovely.

Gentlemen, St. Conor.
Finally. I almost made this thread after the 206 card. I had to bite down and wait for you to get this ball rolling.

Max takes out Aldo?

Gall the real deal and gets by on Northcut this weekend? I think so. That kid is calculated.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:13 pm

Haumana wrote:Max takes out Aldo?
Where's Waldo?
:lol:
Brilliant fight promotion, well played Halloway.

Damn good fight. Think it will come down to the pace it's fought at. The slower the pace the more it would favor Aldo and plays to his power, defense and countering strengths, while the faster the pace the more it favors Halloway and plays to his cardio, creativity and volume strengths. Aldo has like a supernatural knack for slowing down the pace of fights and imposing his game, so I favor him but I'm not going to be too surprised if Halloway pulls off the upset.
Haumana wrote:Gall the real deal and gets by on Northcut this weekend? I think so. That kid is calculated.
Favor Gall. Northcutt might have success early on the feet but he's a front runner and once he faces adversity and gets dragged to the mat, it's all Gall's world. Gall by sub.
*yip*

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:28 pm

StCapps wrote:Damn good fight. Think it will come down to the pace it's fought at. The slower the pace the more it would favor Aldo and plays to his power, defense and countering strengths, while the faster the pace the more it favors Halloway and plays to his cardio, creativity and volume strengths. Aldo has like a supernatural knack for slowing down the pace of fights and imposing his game, so I favor him but I'm not going to be too surprised if Halloway pulls off the upset.
Agree but I have little doubt in Halloway getting that belt. If not now then next time. He is only 24 and has nothing but upside. If he does beat Aldo, I would love to see Connor dip back down and have a go. Although I am not sure that he would.

StCapps wrote:Favor Gall. Northcutt might have success early on the feet but he's a front runner and once he faces adversity and gets dragged to the mat, it's all Gall's world.
I want to see Gall's standup that he is so eagar to showcase. His confidence just oozes, so that makes me curious to see what he can do.

Ferguson Khabib is gonna be a fun one too.

I could talk for days on this shit. Deep in the weeds. Do you listen to any MMA podcasts?

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:59 pm

Haumana wrote:Agree but I have little doubt in Halloway getting that belt. If not now then next time.
Well I do. If he loses to Aldo by the time he gets his next title shot Mirsad Bektic could be standing in his way or already have the title.
Haumana wrote:He is only 24 and has nothing but upside.
Very true, he'll be an elite featherweight for years to come barring injury or change of weight class. High volume action fighter with solid finishing instincts, even if he never gets the title he's going to be a guy whose fights you always look forward to.
Haumana wrote:If he does beat Aldo, I would love to see Connor dip back down and have a go. Although I am not sure that he would.
I doubt we'll ever see Conor at 145 ever again.
Haumana wrote:I want to see Gall's standup that he is so eagar to showcase. His confidence just oozes, so that makes me curious to see what he can do.
Love that kid's attitude, gives a great post fight interview.
Haumana wrote:Ferguson Khabib is gonna be a fun one too.
I could talk for days on this shit. Deep in the weeds.
So could I. If it isn't for the interim title then it's going to be the greatest title eliminator in MMA history and it god damn better be five rounds. Get that shit signed already if Conor can't be talked out of a hiatus.
Haumana wrote:Do you listen to any MMA podcasts?
The Jordan Breen Show, Heavy Hands, Fury's Fight Picks Podcast, Beatdown (Roundtables for UFC Events and Beatdown After The Bell), Monday Morning Analyst, Promotional Malpractice.
*yip*

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:17 pm

[quote="StCapps"Do you listen to any MMA podcasts?[/quote]The Jordan Breen Show, Heavy Hands, Fury's Fight Picks Podcast, Beatdown (Roundtables for UFC Events and Beatdown After The Bell), Monday Morning Analyst, Promotional Malpractice.[/quote]

No Jack Slack Fights Gone By, Submission Radio, Anik and Florian, UFC Unfiltered, MMA Beat or MMA hour? No, Helwani love? HAHAHA

Gonna have to check out a few of those you listed. I routinely try to keep up on Luke's podcasts. Solid info. Heavy Hands is good as well.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:32 pm

Haumana wrote:No Jack Slack Fights Gone By, Submission Radio, Anik and Florian, UFC Unfiltered, MMA Beat or MMA hour? No, Helwani love? HAHAHA
You're right I forgot a couple, the one's in bold. Been meaning to check out Jack Slack's podcast at some point, I'll get around to it at some point.
Haumana wrote:Gonna have to check out a few of those you listed. I routinely try to keep up on Luke's podcasts. Solid info. Heavy Hands is good as well.
The Jordan Breen Show is where it's at, if you aren't listening to that one, you're really missing out.
*yip*

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:45 pm

StCapps wrote:The Jordan Breen Show is where it's at, if you aren't listening to that one, you're really missing out.
Jack Slack is for serious parties only. I am sure you will enjoy. Subscribing to Jordan Breen now. UFC Unfiltered is part UFC and part madcap. Norton and Serra make for a funny combo.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:22 pm

Good way for Urijah Faber to go out, one hell of a career. #wecneverdie

Sage and Page go down in a heap of flames, much to delight of my pocketbook and my sense of schadenfreude. #hypehatersunite

Shouts out to Michelle Waterson, Mickey Gall, Urijah Faber, Alan Jouban, Paul Craig, Mizuto Hirota and Alex Morono for contributing to the most profitable fight card I've ever live bet. Especially Paul "The Bear Jew" Craig, that dude was so money, tonight.
Cha-ching.

*yip*

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:35 am

Does Floyd destroy MacGregor?
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session