RIP

Speaker to Animals

Re: RIP

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:04 pm

1. He was the main voice of globalism before Ross Perot fucked his legacy. Go listen to his New World Order speech on YouTube.

2.a. He helped create Desert Storm by sending his diplomats to privately approve of the invasion of Kuwait only to declare war when Saddam did it.

2.b. They turned Iran into the dominant regional power, and Saddam was our God damned ally against them until Bush threw him under the bus.

3. He was the only war hero I know of with a camera crew standing by to pluck him from the ocean when he crashed, killing his navigator.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:14 pm

All good points,

However, I still like Bush sr. more than Clinton, his son, and Obama. Also, the Iraq thing with our "approval" is a bit murky. I believe when Saddam asked the diplomat their opinion on Kuwait, they said something like, "we have no opinion on the matter." You can interpret that multiple ways. One way is a tacit approval. Another way is that it was a way for the diplomat to avoid getting nailed down with any commitments or promises. I am not sure what to think. However, I also read that Herbert did not initially even want to get involved with Iraq, but Thatcher and others allegedly encouraged it. I have no idea if that is true or not.

As for the war hero stuff, even if he had a rich ass father, he still fought, and actually put his life in danger. Surely that is deserving of respect, no? I can't stand the Kennedy's, but JFK's PT boat service is still honorable, despite his dad's shameless angling after the fact and his purchasing his son a Pulitzer Prize.
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:29 pm

Fighting is honorable. I think to call it being a war hero is a stretch.

Jimmy Doolittle was a real hero.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:50 pm

The Doolittle Mission was fucking awesome.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:00 pm

HW had problems like McCain.

Even if you respected what they did early in life, when you look at the entire package it appears the honourable service was the anomaly, not the overriding personality trait.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:42 am

Bush Sr was in the thick of it for a long time. A CIA guy through and through. Steve Pieczenik remembers.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:29 pm

Rip in Valhalla my brother.

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:23 pm

Cartoonist Stephen Hillenburg, 57, died this week from ALS. Animator and creator of Spongebob Squarepants, he also majored in marine biology and seemed to be an all-around good person. Hard worker, quiet, married, father of one, played guitar with his son, named a character in his show after his wife, that type of stuff. He wasn't a war criminal or pedophile or advocate for globalism or anything like that, as far as I can tell. I drew this as a small tribute for the hours I spent watching Spongebob Squarepants and other cartoons in my pre-teen years

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:33 pm

They shut the fucking post office down. Even in death this motherfucker is an inconvenience.

Fife

Post by Fife » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:39 pm

Some hot takes on the dead POTUS:

Brion McClanahan:

The Elected King

George H.W. Bush is dead, long live George H.W. Bush. Might as well say it. We have an elected king. The overkill in our public mourning proves it. This was created and now perpetuated by the Republican Party, and we have strayed so far from our republican principles the founding generation would be spinning in their graves. I discuss this headlong rush to monarchism in this episode of The Brion McClanahan Show.

Tom Woods:

Ep. 1298 George H.W. Bush: His Presidency Assessed

With the passing of former president George H.W. Bush, we’ve heard much talk of his having been an underrated president. Daniel McCarthy joins me to offer his assessment.

Dave Smith:

Dave Smith brings you the latest in the world of politic! In the wake of the death of the former President and C.I.A. this week Dave weighs in on the deification of leaders after their passing, and how H.W. instrumental in the wartime economy that we have been in for over a decade!