Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:33 am

Dark

Fife

Re: RIP

Post by Fife » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:28 am

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:31 am

On the bright side, he can now make good on his promise to sign no new taxes into law.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:27 am

For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:52 am

I know old man Bush isn't Dick Nixon but I like reading Hunter Thompson's Nixon obituary after other former presidents die, just for the lulz
He Was a Crook

Richard Nixon is gone now, and I am poorer for it. He was the real thing -- a political monster straight out of Grendel and a very dangerous enemy. He could shake your hand and stab you in the back at the same time. He lied to his friends and betrayed the trust of his family. Not even Gerald Ford, the unhappy ex-president who pardoned Nixon and kept him out of prison, was immune to the evil fallout. Ford, who believes strongly in Heaven and Hell, has told more than one of his celebrity golf partners that "I know I will go to hell, because I pardoned Richard Nixon."

I have had my own bloody relationship with Nixon for many years, but I am not worried about it landing me in hell with him. I have already been there with that bastard, and I am a better person for it. Nixon had the unique ability to make his enemies seem honorable, and we developed a keen sense of fraternity. Some of my best friends have hated Nixon all their lives. My mother hates Nixon, my son hates Nixon, I hate Nixon, and this hatred has brought us together.

Nixon laughed when I told him this. "Don't worry," he said, "I, too, am a family man, and we feel the same way about you."
If the right people had been in charge of Nixon's funeral, his casket would have been launched into one of those open-sewage canals that empty into the ocean just south of Los Angeles. He was a swine of a man and a jabbering dupe of a president. Nixon was so crooked that he needed servants to help him screw his pants on every morning. Even his funeral was illegal. He was queer in the deepest way. His body should have been burned in a trash bin.

These are harsh words for a man only recently canonized by President Clinton and my old friend George McGovern -- but I have written worse things about Nixon, many times, and the record will show that I kicked him repeatedly long before he went down. I beat him like a mad dog with mange every time I got a chance, and I am proud of it. He was scum.
Some people will say that words like scum and rotten are wrong for Objective Journalism -- which is true, but they miss the point.
full: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... ok/308699/

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:47 pm

You're welcome, then.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:19 pm

I am too young to personally remember Herbert Walker, but there are few quotes from him that were quite prescient. He wasn't right on everything, but he actually had a better idea of what was coming, particularly after the Cold War ended, than most Americans did. We have had far worse in the Oval Office since then. RIP
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:29 pm

He was a garbage globalist that established the groundwork for post-Reagan neoconservatism and kicked off the globalist cancer that has almost destroyed America with his NWO bullshit.

Fuck that guy. Sorry for the dog, though.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:58 pm

Maybe so, but he didn't buy into all the globalist shit.

While Francis Fukuyama types were celebrating the end of history, Bush correctly saw that post USSR history would lead to a resumption of the same sectarian/religious/nationalist conflicts that plagued the world before it became artificially separated into 2 ideologies.

Desert Storm was also handled far better than other conflicts post WW2. Whatever one thinks of the justification of this war, less than 200 Americans were killed in combat, and Bush did not take Baghdad, correctly surmising that it would lead to a shitshow. America went to war, achieved its stated objectives, and ended the war. There were some serious problems that happened from this conflict, but I think it was far better handled than our later Iraq war.

Additionally, Bush Sr. was an actual fucking war hero. Reagan talked a big game, but his service was basically acting in morale boosting Hollywood propaganda films during WW2. Nothing wrong with that at all, but Reagan fronted like he was in the shit. Said he saw firsthand the concentration camps being liberated etc. Thats fucked up. Bush Sr. was in the Pacific for this conflict, and he actually behaved heroically and saved the lives of others. He didn't bring this up a lot either or use it to his political advantage the way Reagan did btw.

There's a lot to dislike about the guy, but the things I mentioned earn him some points in my book, not that my book matters. Just my $.02.
Shikata ga nai

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:03 pm

I'm sad about Bush Sr. passing, but I'm a really big Eisenhower fan. He's one of my favorite presidents. If he passed away I would be devastated and still in mourning.

Seriously Ike handled Suez like a fucking boss. He saw the big picture, played the press like a fiddle, and even his fuckups kept his enemies like Nasser second guessing. We don't get too many Ikes now.
Shikata ga nai