The case for states' rights

nickle7

The case for states' rights

Post by nickle7 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:35 am

Thought I'd start a thread for informative discussion on the benefits and drawbacks of this common topic. I'm generally tend to advocate for a smaller, more localized government but also realize the logistical drawbacks to this general policy. So, what are the best arguments for and against states' rights?
Seek how to think, not what to think.

TheReal_ND

Re: The case for states' rights

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:19 am

I was just talking to someone that is far more learned on the subject that seems to maintain the Articles of Confederation were superior to the Constitution. I'm still a bit sceptical because the Constitution only mandates a few federalist proponents, those being mainly marshal in character to my knowledge.

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:51 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:I was just talking to someone that is far more learned on the subject that seems to maintain the Articles of Confederation were superior to the Constitution. I'm still a bit sceptical because the Constitution only mandates a few federalist proponents, those being mainly marshal in character to my knowledge.
If you don't care about effectiveness, the Articles are great! If you're all in for extreme decentralization, then the Articles would work fine. If you want a cohesive government that can enforce its laws, go with the Constitution.

nickle7

Post by nickle7 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:02 pm

Xenophon wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote:I was just talking to someone that is far more learned on the subject that seems to maintain the Articles of Confederation were superior to the Constitution. I'm still a bit sceptical because the Constitution only mandates a few federalist proponents, those being mainly marshal in character to my knowledge.
If you don't care about effectiveness, the Articles are great! If you're all in for extreme decentralization, then the Articles would work fine. If you want a cohesive government that can enforce its laws, go with the Constitution.
Yeah, so if the bulk of the nations' laws were dictated by individual states, logistically, how would that work? If potentially every law was different in potentially every state, movement between states would be so difficult as to limit mobility between them. Maybe I've just gotta read all the Articles together...
Seek how to think, not what to think.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:11 pm

I've read arguments in defense of the articles. There are some valid points. For one, for all of the talk about how ineffectual the articles were, we did win independence under them.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:14 pm

I never read a good argument against them. I usually encounter the official narrative as we read here, which does not contain any evidence to support it.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:23 pm

Xenophon wrote:
Pretty much.

If you want a lose confederation of states, like looser than the EU, go for the Articles.

There's no way the US would have gained global hegemony without the Constitution, nor would have Manifest Destiny been realized. We'd be a hodgepodge of semi-losers like South America
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:39 pm

AndrewBennett wrote:
Xenophon wrote:
Pretty much.

If you want a lose confederation of states, like looser than the EU, go for the Articles.

There's no way the US would have gained global hegemony without the Constitution, nor would have Manifest Destiny been realized. We'd be a hodgepodge of semi-losers like South America
That's not a certainty. We're a lot different than them culturally and always have been.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751