Replace the American Anthem

Hwen Hoshino

Replace the American Anthem

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:38 am

How would it have changed the American psyche if in 1900 they abandon the anthem? Instead you recite the First, Second and Fourth Amendments and shoot a gun into the air after reciting the Second.

Haumana

Re: Replace the American Anthem

Post by Haumana » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:23 am

Are you American?

nickle7

Post by nickle7 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:01 am

Interesting questions, not really sure I have an answer. I suppose the response would be dependent on the reasons why it was removed/replaced. Do you see the possibility of that happening in the future or the near future?

I have a hard time imagining this coming to pass. The idea and perception of America, within America and internationally, has I think shifted. It's almost popular to not be patriotic now. But I don't think the Anthem is all that tied to people's understanding of what patriotism means. In other words, there's no connection between (and thus no disdain for) the anthem and America's nation-building, interventionist tendencies.
Seek how to think, not what to think.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:21 am

My suggestion for an appropriate national anthem:

Penner

Post by Penner » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:27 am

Well originally (before March 3,1931) our anthem was called, Hail Columbia and later it changed to the Star Spangled Banner (which is the current anthem). In order to change the anthem there had to be a congressional resolution (46 Stat. 1508, codified at 36 U.S.C. § 301), which was signed by President Herbert Hoover on March 3, 1931.

Here is Hail Columbia and what it sounded:

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:30 am

Pah, yours isn't so bad. I would like to replace that god awful dirge written by a bloody German that we use with Land of Hope and Glory or Jerusalem.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:32 am

Montegriffo wrote:Pah, yours isn't so bad. I would like to replace that god awful dirge written by a bloody German that we use with Land of Hope and Glory or Jerusalem.
You would replace your national anthem with something more Semitic wouldn't you?

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:38 am

TheReal_ND wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:Pah, yours isn't so bad. I would like to replace that god awful dirge written by a bloody German that we use with Land of Hope and Glory or Jerusalem.
You would replace your national anthem with something more Semitic wouldn't you?
Semitic? which one? Jerusalem is the only hymn I ever liked and is clearly Church of England and Land of hope and glory is what England used to use at the commonwealth games before they decided to use God save the Queen a decade or so ago without even asking if I minded.
Both written by Englishmen, fuck the Scots.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:41 am

I see....

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:47 am

You know I can't watch that, at least tell me what it is, Inspector gadget?