If you were the President, how would you eliminate gangs?

TheReal_ND

Re: If you were the President, how would you eliminate gangs?

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:14 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:Gangs rise up because the legitimacy of the state declines. Where gangs exist, the state's power diminishes.

Gangs represent the natural state of man. When civilization fails us, we resort to gangs. Nor does this phenomenon exist only in poor communities. Gated communities and private security are forms of gang behavior that only exist because the state failed to protect people to the extent they felt necessary, or at best you can argue their perceptions were such.

When America possessed a strong nation state, people didn't live in these modern medieval gated communities. Gangs in poor urban areas were quite limited.

But if you go back to the time of westward expansion, the Frontier was rife with gang behavior because no strong state power existed out there.
Somebody has been listening to William Lind.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:23 am

More like Jack Donovan.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:16 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:Gangs rise up because the legitimacy of the state declines. Where gangs exist, the state's power diminishes.
Good post...

And +1 to legalization...

Engage local population in community building and local gangs lose legitimacy.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:28 pm

It's all about loyalty. If gangs can be the base board for your community's values there isn't much the state can do to counter act that, being a hostile entity as they are.

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:19 pm

If I were the President and gangs were my top priority I would institute a draft and make all the gang members join my gang, no?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:04 pm

pineapplemike wrote:If I were the President and gangs were my top priority I would institute a draft and make all the gang members join my gang, no?
Really, really bad idea. Do NOT let gang members into the armed forces, ever.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:59 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
pineapplemike wrote:If I were the President and gangs were my top priority I would institute a draft and make all the gang members join my gang, no?
It's already a problem. Hood mentality in the Army is rife in support. In combat arms they fight it in TRADOC. You'll see it bubbling up in the first few weeks, but it seems drill sergeants are trained to recognize and counter it.

I saw it called out in front of the whole Troop in formation.

I'm in a gang too. Our color is green, and we're a whole lot bigger than you.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Cid

Post by Cid » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:09 am

I find it odd that the state won't colonize gang areas. Might be Machiavellian, but I'd have forced relocation and separation if I was a tyrant that wanted to get rid of gangs. Change laws to be monetary punishment instead of incarceration for all but the most brutal of offenses, then kick them to the hinterlands. State can reposes, sell and colonize the area. Liberals won't do anything against that because they want their hipster coffee bars and bike lane neighborhoods, and conservatives will just get it done so the liberals won't have to feel bad about it since religion won't ease their conscience.

Also this is me being straight up evil.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:33 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:
It's already a problem. Hood mentality in the Army is rife in support. In combat arms they fight it in TRADOC. You'll see it bubbling up in the first few weeks, but it seems drill sergeants are trained to recognize and counter it.

I saw it called out in front of the whole Troop in formation.

I'm in a gang too. Our color is green, and we're a whole lot bigger than you.
Isn't that exactly what boot camp is designed to get rid of? It's not as if gangs are a new thing. Plenty of gangsters would have been drafted into the WWs.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:42 pm

Boot camp tears everyone down to a common denominator however once you are serving things clique right back up. So I've heard at least. I've heard of everything from Filipino supply side gangs to white nationalist front side gangs. But even in jail, I can attest that being in a gang is in no way indecitave that you aren't going to work with a rival gang (not that I would know about this personally.) Point being is that gangs are formed in lieu of a strong hierarchy that would otherwise override it. The military is probably to some extent the overriding hierarchy, well it is, but there are still scores of niches left for gangs or cliques to exploit and in fact it's not even discouraged among the troops.