Vocabulary to help you understand the pretentious.

Cid

Re: Vocabulary to help you understand the pretentious.

Post by Cid » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:34 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:I did not attempt to establish myself as the authority of this topic by creating a silly thread to passively attack people. I posted an informative link from which a person reading this dumpster fire of a thread can learn more from a more reputable source.
I'd love to know if this was directed at me, but since you didn't say it explicitly I'll just assume you're talking to anyone that may have rolled their eyes at such words in the past.

Go ahead and nurse that persecution complex rather than having a sense of perspective or humor.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:35 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:I did not attempt to establish myself as the authority of this topic by creating a silly thread to passively attack people. I posted an informative link from which a person reading this dumpster fire of a thread can learn more from a more reputable source.
No need to disparage a thread because it doesn't fit your personal groupthink. If you don't like the thread move on.....
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Cid

Post by Cid » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:40 am

Dand wrote:
Cid wrote:Its an internet meme for special snowflakes, and being able to google it, like being able to google Rhodesia, doesn't mean it isn't. I never heard of groupthink or wrongthink, I just thought it was weird when people started using it rather speaking plainly, generally a sure sign that someone is letting another person think for them anyway.
"Wrongthink" and similar words are almost certainly used in reference to 1984, even if they aren't exactly the newspeak words used in that book. Maybe they should just be saying "thoughtcrime" instead but I recognize it is newspeak and being used ironically. "Groupthink" is a real word, I've heard it before this current SJW/internet reactionary conflict.
Sure, but its like saying gay or queer doesn't mean homosexual. Sure, those words have different older meanings, but their common usages is so fractured from their origins it really doesn't matter. I mean the wrongthink stuff especially is used by a crowd of people that just need an excuse to not believe evidence or reason. Fake moon landing flat earther stuff.

Dand

Post by Dand » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:49 am

Cid wrote:
Dand wrote:
Cid wrote:Its an internet meme for special snowflakes, and being able to google it, like being able to google Rhodesia, doesn't mean it isn't. I never heard of groupthink or wrongthink, I just thought it was weird when people started using it rather speaking plainly, generally a sure sign that someone is letting another person think for them anyway.
"Wrongthink" and similar words are almost certainly used in reference to 1984, even if they aren't exactly the newspeak words used in that book. Maybe they should just be saying "thoughtcrime" instead but I recognize it is newspeak and being used ironically. "Groupthink" is a real word, I've heard it before this current SJW/internet reactionary conflict.
Sure, but its like saying gay or queer doesn't mean homosexual. Sure, those words have different older meanings, but their common usages is so fractured from their origins it really doesn't matter. I mean the wrongthink stuff especially is used by a crowd of people that just need an excuse to not believe evidence or reason. Fake moon landing flat earther stuff.
I agree that those skeptical and/or paranoid people are the ones most often using these words but the meanings seem consistent to me. Big Brother and 1984 resonate strongly with people that distrust the government. It's kind of ironic that their (comedic) use of these words might become a jargon that keeps them from being understood.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:55 am

Wrongthink definitely rings of 1984.

Moon landing deniers and flat earthers? That's not who I would look to for the meaning of things.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Cid

Post by Cid » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:01 am

I think its distrust for government for the sake of distrusting government at this point, and its become comedic with the regularity with which Dems and the Reps swap. I thought Dan Carlin did a good job constantly reminding liberals that their dream president did jack all to dismantle that scary Bush Galactic Empire information collecting institution. Now we have Trump and I bet you dollars to pesos that the serious "wrong thinkers" are going to be pretty cool with the NSA doing "whatever it takes" for the next 8 years.

So yeah, I'd say that word has no meaning outside of the group that feels persecuted, which is about as Orwellian as it gets.

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:32 am

If there is anybody here actually interested in 1984 and Newspeak, check out the appendix to the novel. The novel is presented from a time much later than the year 1984, ultimately as a post-mortem of the inevitable death of the totalitarian state and Newspeak.

https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/o/orwell ... endix.html

There is some really interesting stuff in there, and it will help you deal with Wrongthink and Fakenews, &c., c. 2016, IMNSHO.

Cid

Post by Cid » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:08 am

The purpose of Newspeak was not only to provide a medium of expression for the world-view and mental habits proper to the devotees of Ingsoc, but to make all other modes of thought impossible.
Here's the thing, 1984 had official vocabulary in its world, and as much as I'd like for English to be able to be English, SJWs and their hate-fuckbuddies the Alt-Right have these official vocabularies. And I don't see an exchange of ideas when these terms are used with sincerity, I see people trying to see who is on their side.

And sure its a bit of fun for me, because asshats putting themselves in a container of words turns a competitive exchange via text into shooting fish in a barrel, but its not healthy for the mind.

Cid

Post by Cid » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:23 pm

Welp, Alt-Right crowd I think is winning (feel free to post a joke about the recent election.)

Cultural Marxism: "Political correctness is Cultural Marxism." "Cultural Marxists have taken over the institutions of the media, education, mainstream Christianity (conservative and liberal), law, and finance. Their goal is the annihilation of Western Civilization in general and white people in particular." -The shittier shitty part of the internet

The term is generally used by people who don't know what the fuck Marxism is, but nothing else gives the kind of retard license that is required to make the SJWs seem scary.