Vocabulary to help you understand the pretentious.

Cid

Vocabulary to help you understand the pretentious.

Post by Cid » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:02 pm

As would be befitting such a thread, I'll begin with my favorite wankery from my dear left,

mansplaining: a guy explaining something to a girl, or a white guy explaining something to anyone.

Tends to be used by anyone that feels that normal passive aggression is neither passive enough nor aggressive enough to convey their feelings.

Example: "Yesterday I was mansplained to by my boyfriend." "Oh so you stopped him and said he was being condescending right." "No you don't understand I was mansplained to. Let me explain what mansplaining is." "I know what..."

Haumana

Re: Vocabulary to help you understand the pretentious.

Post by Haumana » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:04 pm

Safe space- A place where college students can go if they have been subjected to ideas that differ from the progressive narrative. These safe spaces have pillows, soothing music and an understanding, sympathetic staff. Presumably, this allows them to recover from the trauma; free from any lasting damage resulting from exposure to ideas that conflict with their leftist professors.
I hear they have puppies and ponies to pet too if the presentation was too traumatic.

Cid

Post by Cid » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:49 am

Here's one the new boards made me look up,

wrongthink: the idea that a person is being attacked because they have the wrong ideas.

Tends to be used by the right to create a safe space where they can be a little bit Nazi but not be called Nazi (unless they're cool with that, I'll say the line has been substantially blurred as of late with asshats using lugenpresse rather than the less Nazi-like lying media.)

I'd list an example, but you can just search the boards I imagine :ugeek:

Also, fucking lugenpresse: lying press

Tends to be used by otherwise sane individuals whose younger selves would have been horrified they grew up to speak like a redneck Nazi.

Example:
"Hey did you see that story from that media group we don't like containing facts I'm uncomfortable with?"
"Yeah, lujenpresse."
"No, it's loogenpresse."
"Yeah, jewenpresse."
"No we're not Nazis."
"Hail our victory!"
"Why are you saluting like that?"
"Wrongthink!"

K@th

Post by K@th » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:59 am

:lol:
Account abandoned.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:13 am

That's not what it means.

Wrongthink is a corollary to what psychologists have named groupthink.
Groupthink, a term coined by social psychologist Irving Janis (1972), occurs when a group makes faulty decisions because group pressures lead to a deterioration of “mental efficiency, reality testing, and moral judgment” (p. 9). Groups affected by groupthink ignore alternatives and tend to take irrational actions that dehumanize other groups. A group is especially vulnerable to groupthink when its members are similar in background, when the group is insulated from outside opinions, and when there are no clear rules for decision making.
It's not some Internet meme.

Wrongthink refers to ideas that come from outside the groupthink consensus. It predates groupthink as a term, but in its original literary conrext, it associated with a state-enforced groupthink.

People who labor under the demands of groupthink might react to what they perceive as wrongthink with irrational anger and projection. ;)

Cid

Post by Cid » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:20 am

Its an internet meme for special snowflakes, and being able to google it, like being able to google Rhodesia, doesn't mean it isn't. I never heard of groupthink or wrongthink, I just thought it was weird when people started using it rather speaking plainly, generally a sure sign that someone is letting another person think for them anyway.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:23 am

Right. And used by social psychologists to describe a certain kind of cognitive dissonance.

Cid

Post by Cid » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:25 am

Yeah but you're not a social psychologist son, so I wouldn't get all authoritative on this. Its like the difference between knowing what a gun is and being a marksman.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:29 am

I did not attempt to establish myself as the authority of this topic by creating a silly thread to passively attack people. I posted an informative link from which a person reading this dumpster fire of a thread can learn more from a more reputable source.
Last edited by Speaker to Animals on Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dand

Post by Dand » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:30 am

Cid wrote:Its an internet meme for special snowflakes, and being able to google it, like being able to google Rhodesia, doesn't mean it isn't. I never heard of groupthink or wrongthink, I just thought it was weird when people started using it rather speaking plainly, generally a sure sign that someone is letting another person think for them anyway.
"Wrongthink" and similar words are almost certainly used in reference to 1984, even if they aren't exactly the newspeak words used in that book. Maybe they should just be saying "thoughtcrime" instead but I recognize it is newspeak and being used ironically. "Groupthink" is a real word, I've heard it before this current SJW/internet reactionary conflict.