The Family Thread - Letters from Home

Smitty-48

Re: The Family Thread - Letters from Home

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:55 pm

DrYouth wrote:Me mom was tough as nails too if you really crossed her.

She had a wooden spoon in a drawer that she wielded.

When you heard the drawer open you ran for cover.

But as the golden boy... rarely did she make contact...

But I knew enough to play my role and take cover... never thought to do otherwise.
Isn't she a Spaniard? I mean, my mother was tough, but she wasn't Spaniard tough, my best friend's mother is Spanish, was a little girl in the civil war, she loves me, but I wouldn't cross her, she used to say to her son "if you do this, I will kill you, and my heart will be broken; but you will be dead!"
Nec Aspera Terrent

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:59 pm

Smitty-48 wrote: Isn't she a Spaniard?
Nope she's a Kraut.

German toughness is pretty much unparalleled in the world of mothers.

When I heard Carlin talk about the women in the Germanic tribes who killed the men who ran away from battle I knew we were talking about my ancestors.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:07 pm

DrYouth wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote: Isn't she a Spaniard?
Nope she's a Kraut.

German toughness is pretty much unparalleled in the world of mothers.

When I heard Carlin talk about the women in the Germanic tribes who killed the men who ran away from battle I knew we were talking about my ancestors.
Nah, I don't think they're tough as the Spanish, never seen more kids getting beat downs from old ladies, then when I was in Spain, just beating them over the head at random, right there on the street.

My inlaws are Germans, and my wife's grandmother was pretty tough, but more sarcastic than beat downs.

Was a bit of a Nazi tho, grew up in Nazi Germany. I remember when I told the kids that the origin of Christmas was the Feast of Saturnaulia, and she went literally Hitler on me "You've ruined Kristmass!!!" Everybody just laughed tho, the kids most of all.
Nec Aspera Terrent

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:37 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:Nah, I don't think they're tough as the Spanish, never seen more kids getting beat downs from old ladies, then when I was in Spain, just beating them over the head at random, right there on the street.
My Spanish aunties were all softies.
My Grandmother was the softest of them all.
Laissez faire parenting all around. We ran around town and came home at whatever time we wanted.
No drinking age... we were partying at the discos from 15 years old.
Spain was was where I came of age.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:01 pm

DrYouth wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:Nah, I don't think they're tough as the Spanish, never seen more kids getting beat downs from old ladies, then when I was in Spain, just beating them over the head at random, right there on the street.
Laissez faire parenting all around. We ran around town and came home at whatever time we wanted.
Yeah, I partied hard in Spain, but I also saw them teaching kids to swim, by throwing them in the deep end, and then stepping on their hands when they tried to grab the sides, so drinking age has nothing to do with Spanish tough love.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:06 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
DrYouth wrote:
Yeah, I partied hard in Spain, but I also saw them teaching kids to swim, by throwing them in the deep end, and then stepping on their hands when they tried to grab the sides, so drinking age has nothing to do with Spanish tough love.
Sounds like Mississippi when I was a kid.

:goteam: :drunk:

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:09 pm

I grew up playing around the swamps and lakes. There wasn't much to do back then. Gators can be fun to fuck with, though. Helicopter parents would freak the fuck out if they saw how I grew up. Not joking either. I had natural alligator land behind the house.

Behind my father's house I instead had dolphins and manatees. Manatees can actually be dangerous if you get in the water with them.

I just realize this might explain a few things.
Last edited by Speaker to Animals on Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:12 pm

Yeah I meant that Mississippi was like going to the resort when I was a kid.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:20 pm

Actually wasn't hard for us to party all night underage in the 6ix when I was growing up, but then the nanny state cranked the fines up exponentially and suddenly everybody started taking carding very seriously. Nowadays it's absurd, my wife is still getting carded and I would probably get carded too if I didn't have grey hair.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:31 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:Actually wasn't hard for us to party all night underage in the 6ix when I was growing up, but then the nanny state cranked the fines up exponentially and suddenly everybody started taking carding very seriously. Nowadays it's absurd, my wife is still getting carded and I would probably get carded too if I didn't have grey hair.

But is it gray on the top? If it's just the sides, go zero to fade, man.