Food and drink

SuburbanFarmer

Re: Food and drink

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:04 am

Alexander PhiAlipson wrote:
California wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:What do Mexican restaurants serve then if not dishes flavoured with chillies? Some sort of bland Americanised food covered in cheese?
It depends on where you're at. If you're in a state that was part of Mexico before the Treaty of Guadalupe HIldago, you're safe. The further away you get from those areas the shittier the Mexican food is.

And don't believe anything you read about "gourmet" Mexican food in NY or Chicago. All of it is crap compared to what you can get from a taco truck or sketchy taqueria in California
That's not really true--there are four basic types of Mexican food in the US: there's your strictly commercial Taco Bell type; California fish taco type; Tex-Mex, which is closest to traditional Mexican food, but with the addition of beef, cheese and rice, which weren't available to pre-Columbian Americans; lastly, there's corn, potato, beans and chilli based stuff, with little or no conquistador introduced elements.
I've eaten "Mexican" food in Austin, Guadalajara, LA, NYC and London (among other places), and it seems "Mexican" better describes the decour and the music than anything on the menu.
Let's talk about Italian Marinara, French Fries, and General Tsao's Chicken now, shall we?
:doh:
You're forgetting the 5th type of Mexican food here - bland, quickie shit. It's somewhere between Taco Hell and Tex-Mex. I'm talking about food that comes out in 2 minutes or less, and the plate is scorching hot from reheating it, despite (literally) 100+ options on the menu. You receive nicely separated piles of probably-bean-mush, flour-tortilla-wrapped canned chicken, and some canned sauce, covered lovingly with shredded cheddar - which, of course, still looks shredded because it came out of a fucking bag.

Fortunately, the decor is distracting from the food, with it's subtle mix of Trailer Park and Key West, "brick pattern" wallpaper, mardi gras beads, and all. I cannot communicate to Ohioans how sad this shit looks to me.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:35 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:23 pm

katarn

Post by katarn » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:39 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Image
This is unrelated to that picture, but I'm always upset when some (usually) Northerner calls a soup with beans chili. Chili is closer to stew in its more proper form.
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:06 pm

If we are just going to post pictures of canned food it must be time for some Andy Warhol

For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:15 pm

Neat

Calculus Man

Post by Calculus Man » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:04 pm

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:33 pm

Not sure if you are suggesting your favorite food or have forgotten which cabinet belongs in the pantry...

Calculus Man

Post by Calculus Man » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:00 pm

I was kinda hoping GrumpyCatFace would get confused and do us all a favor, but you killed that dream.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:06 pm

I heard it's a great way to kill some time though