Food and drink

Montegriffo

Re: Food and drink

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:31 pm

I wasn't sure whether to say bell peppers or capsicum. We just call them peppers but didn't want to confuse them with chillies.

For future reference we say courgettes for zuchini and aubergine for egg plant.
Divided by a common language indeed. :lol:
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:41 pm

:lol:

This actually happens in the U.S. as well, because we have regional differences in what we call some ingredients (and other things as well). Combine it with regional accents and changes in food references coming from someone's mother country to the U.S. and things can get confusing.
:royalty-queen:

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:48 pm

One thing I noticed when chatting with an American chef in Marrakesh was that he pronounced fillet the French way with a silent T where as we Anglocise it and don't.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:13 pm

Montegriffo wrote:One thing I noticed when chatting with an American chef in Marrakesh was that he pronounced fillet the French way with a silent T where as we Anglocise it and don't.
I did not know that. And I'm insanely jealous you visited Marrakesh.
:royalty-queen:

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:23 pm

Great place and I'm not usually a fan of cities. I did a tour which took in Fez,Cassablanca, Tangiers the Rif mountains and much more. My freind and I visited all the medinas ( medeaval town centres ) we could.
I'd like to go back some day.
Great food too.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:42 pm

mydogjesse wrote::lol:

This actually happens in the U.S. as well, because we have regional differences in what we call some ingredients (and other things as well). Combine it with regional accents and changes in food references coming from someone's mother country to the U.S. and things can get confusing.
Just remembered something funny which happened when I was in Egypt.
I was having a smoke when this American dude came and asked me if he could "bum a Camel" I replied "probably but you will have to pay it's owner for the pleasure" his blank face was priceless.
Be like me going to the States and asking if I could smoke a fag.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:55 pm

Xenophon wrote:I made a scrambled egg sandwich a few minutes ago. Had a small glass of caffeine free coke (my wife is pregnant, I'm not a wuss!) with it. Now I'm drinking my first dose of black coffee. :mrgreen:
Congrats, man! You got others, or is this your first? My happiest moments are throwing babies in the air like I'm training them for the trapeze.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:24 am

Okeefenokee wrote:
Xenophon wrote:I made a scrambled egg sandwich a few minutes ago. Had a small glass of caffeine free coke (my wife is pregnant, I'm not a wuss!) with it. Now I'm drinking my first dose of black coffee. :mrgreen:
Congrats, man! You got others, or is this your first? My happiest moments are throwing babies in the air like I'm training them for the trapeze.
This is my second. Our first daughter turned two this summer. "Proud Emoji"

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:12 pm

Xenophon wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
This is my second. Our first daughter turned two this summer. "Proud Emoji"
Congrats. We stopped at one. We figured we could do one at our best and it would be all downhill from there. :lol:

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:01 pm

It's a whole nuther level when they have a sibling around the same age. Our first four are in pairs, so we'll probably have another to even out the teams. Can't have the only girl all by herself.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751