Food and drink

Montegriffo

Food and drink

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:55 am

Always found the cooking thread to be a nice safe refuge to run to after I got handed an ass kicking so I thought I would reinstate it.
Christmas is coming so hopefully it will get off the ground.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Montegriffo

Re: Food and drink

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:01 am

By the way, My dog Jesse, meatballs were a real winner with those American students I was feeding. Various types of curry all went well too, hotter the better.
I never really got them to eat many puddings, in the end I just put that down to them being pretty healthy eaters, who knew?
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:21 am

That's good to hear - meatballs are pretty much universally liked in the U.S. I'm surprised about the popularity of curry - I worked for an Indian owned company for years and the yearly Diwali feast was my only exposure to curry. The owner used to laugh at my culinary cowardice. He told me his 3 year old can eat hotter food than me. I'm not a fra diavolo kind of a gal.

I find puddings interesting but know nothing about them. Pudding is a dessert in the U.S. and usually made out of a box. Although I would really like to make a bread pudding from Martha Stewart's recipe - say what you want about the woman, she's an incredible cook. I haven't gotten around to the bread pudding because only two of us are likely to eat it and we don't need pudding in our lives. :)
:royalty-queen:

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:30 am

Traditional British puddings tend to be carb high stodgy comfort food served with custard over here. They are about the only British food the French admit to liking.
I did have more success with lighter desserts such as cheesecakes, jelly (jello?) and cream,mousse etc so I put it down to Californian carbophobia from the youngsters (mostly 17 year olds)

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:37 am

Curries suprised me too. I did some fairly exotic ones as well, including a Malaisian style sweet peanut and coconut chicken satay with mango chutney which was chosen by about 25 of the 31 students with many coming back for seconds.

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:23 am

I would really like the recipe for the Malaysian satay if you don't mind.

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:39 am

I made a scrambled egg sandwich a few minutes ago. Had a small glass of caffeine free coke (my wife is pregnant, I'm not a wuss!) with it. Now I'm drinking my first dose of black coffee. :mrgreen:

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:36 am

mydogjesse wrote:I would really like the recipe for the Malaysian satay if you don't mind.
Happy too, got to nip out for tobacco now but will write you one when I get back.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:44 pm

Ok bear in mind I use the word style advisably, this is my version and should not be considered authentic.
I use ingredients more readily available to me in this country.
for a more authentic recipe try google
http://rasamalaysia.com/recipe-chicken-satay/2/

Serves 4 generous portions
First fry off 4 chicken fillets (marinaded in lemon grass, chillies,tumeric,fresh ginger,garlic and corriander for a couple of hours) to a nice colour but not cooked through, remove from pan and set aside.

Start sauce by frying chillies, garlic and spring onions in a little oil in the pan/wok. Add batons of bell peppers to soften then add half a spoon of Thai curry paste which is pretty hot ( or substitute a spoon of dried Chinese 5 spice or Thai 7 spice for less heat)
Then add a couple of tablespoons of crunchy peanut butter, half a tin of coconut milk, half a spoon of tomato paste, a tablespoon of mango chutney and a cup of chicken stock.
Whilst that is simmering slice your chicken fillets and add them to pan and cook out. When chicken is cooked add some mange tout and give a couple more mins.
Check flavour, If it is too hot you can cool it down with a little sugar or more chutney.
You can add more peanut butter at any stage if the flavour is not strong enough.

Serve with noodles or rice.

Treat it as a stirfry recipe and try not to overcook the chicken.

Vary the spices to suit your taste, should be hot and sweet but if you want it milder you can cut out some of the chillies. Five spice has the aromatic flavour without any heat so you can use more of that instead.

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:16 pm

Printed, thank you. I'll try the 5 spice version since I can't take the heat.

I had to run some of your ingredients through a translator. :) I had no idea what mange tout is - we call them snow peas.