Your Comedy Mount Rushmore

heydaralon

Re: Your Comedy Mount Rushmore

Post by heydaralon » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:35 pm

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:06 pm
Back in the good old 90s, the populace thought the alt-comedy group was impenetrable and unfunny nonsense.

Perhaps elevating absolute blandness to an art form is the new comedic world to conquer.

Swings and roundabouts, I suppose.
Who would you put in the alt comedy group? Also, who is your favorite comedian of all time?
Shikata ga nai

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:28 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:35 pm
Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:06 pm
Back in the good old 90s, the populace thought the alt-comedy group was impenetrable and unfunny nonsense.

Perhaps elevating absolute blandness to an art form is the new comedic world to conquer.

Swings and roundabouts, I suppose.
Who would you put in the alt comedy group? Also, who is your favorite comedian of all time?
I guess people like Marc Maron and David Cross, shows like Mr. Show, etc. At least, that was 'alt' coming into the 90s. It found its way into more traditional stand up with people who do more story telling and less straight punch-line jokes. That is how it is usually described, I think, but I am not an expert.

I don't know if I have a favorite comedian of all time. I don't think stand up comedy ages very well. Like, I never really understood what people thought was funny about George Carlin's act, but he is often put near the top of all time greats.

People getting hit in the crotch is pretty much universally funny though... so I think my favorite all time comedy is that.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:00 pm

Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:28 pm

People getting hit in the crotch is pretty much universally funny though... so I think my favorite all time comedy is that.
Women getting punted in the pussy is funny? Maybe you should emend your statement to men getting kicked in the balls. Media does not generally show women getting hit in the pussy as a joke.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:03 pm

One of the biggest paradoxes of modern comedy that I have found is that female comedians are a joke, but they are not funny. The most well known ones at the moment are joke thieves.
Shikata ga nai

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:06 pm

David Cross' standup sucks, but Todd Margaret is one of the funniest shows I've ever seen. Tobias in arrested development was also amazing. Never liked Marc Maron. George Carlin also sucks imo.

And yes, I agree with you that standup comedy has a shelf life. It seems like everyone with a pulse is getting a standup special on Netflix now. Its weird. My girlfriend used to love all that lowest common denominator middlebrow bullshit and I would watch it, and be confused as to what the appeal was. Many of these folks Like Isis Ansari and others are literally just using their standup as a way to beat their audience over the head with their SJW ideals. Its like 20% comedy 80% ideology. Louis CK was a master of doing that, though he was exponentially funnier than any of these current folks.
Shikata ga nai

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:42 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:00 pm
Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:28 pm

Women getting punted in the pussy is funny? Maybe you should emend your statement to men getting kicked in the balls. Media does not generally show women getting hit in the pussy as a joke.
Crotch ain't a gender specific term. Groin attacks, always funny. Although, women carrying their gear inside does make it less ripe for slapstick, oh well, take it up with god.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:48 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:06 pm
David Cross' standup sucks, but Todd Margaret is one of the funniest shows I've ever seen. Tobias in arrested development was also amazing. Never liked Marc Maron. George Carlin also sucks imo.

And yes, I agree with you that standup comedy has a shelf life. It seems like everyone with a pulse is getting a standup special on Netflix now. Its weird. My girlfriend used to love all that lowest common denominator middlebrow bullshit and I would watch it, and be confused as to what the appeal was. Many of these folks Like Isis Ansari and others are literally just using their standup as a way to beat their audience over the head with their SJW ideals. Its like 20% comedy 80% ideology. Louis CK was a master of doing that, though he was exponentially funnier than any of these current folks.
Yeah, David Cross is not my favorite stand up, but it was text book 'alt' comedy in a lot of ways. Not a lot of punchlines, ranting, and the like.

I'll always think his 'squagles' bit was funny, though. But the fact that square bagles are such a pointless and stupid idea did most of the heavy lifting for him.
HAIL!

-Hwen

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:58 pm

Good standup last a good long time, dude.

Of course, that was targeting a society where most men had military service in their past. That shit is funny, though, if you've been processed.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:57 am

Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:48 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:06 pm

Yeah, David Cross is not my favorite stand up, but it was text book 'alt' comedy in a lot of ways. Not a lot of punchlines, ranting, and the like.

I'll always think his 'squagles' bit was funny, though. But the fact that square bagles are such a pointless and stupid idea did most of the heavy lifting for him.
Patrice O'Neal used to have some pretty funny standup. He was able to discuss racial stuff without being too preachy either. His opie and anthony movie analysis stuff is on youtube still and it is pretty great stuff.
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:05 pm

Did you ever listen to the time Bill Burr performed in Philly, only to be insulted by the crowd, whereupon he proceeded to berate and shit on the city of Philadelphia for about an hour straight?