The Psych Ward

DrYouth

Re: The Psych Ward

Post by DrYouth » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:26 pm

You have done a pretty good job of describing "the hero's journey", an analysis of myth that illustrates the Western ideal of individuation as captured in myths dating back to ancient mesopotamia. Carl Jung and Joseph Campbell popularized this analysis of myth and dreams. The fool is called and takes up the hero's quest, he is granted protection or gifts, descends to the underworld, confronts a shadow version of the masculine or feminine or both, and emerges with new potential that is then brought back to the kingdom. This journey of renewal is a cycle or growth and development that renews meaning and purpose and leads to increasing integration and wholeness. It is beloved in western tradition, less so in eastern traditions that emphasize individuation from the collective considerably less than we do.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:29 pm

I've noticed this. Their anime shows devoted to heros are really all the same and very unoriginal. The hero must collect a bunch of stuff then goes on to fight the big boss fighting lesser ones on the way. That's literally almost all of anime.

Dand

Post by Dand » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:41 pm

DrYouth wrote:You have done a pretty good job of describing "the hero's journey", an analysis of myth that illustrates the Western ideal of individuation as captured in myths dating back to ancient mesopotamia. Carl Jung and Joseph Campbell popularized this analysis of myth and dreams. The fool is called and takes up the hero's quest, he is granted protection or gifts, descends to the underworld, confronts a shadow version of the masculine or feminine or both, and emerges with new potential that is then brought back to the kingdom. This journey of renewal is a cycle or growth and development that renews meaning and purpose and leads to increasing integration and wholeness. It is beloved in western tradition, less so in eastern traditions that emphasize individuation from the collective considerably less than we do.
Thanks, I will read something by Campbell next. After enjoying reading mythological stories as a kid I can't deny the attraction of reading about comparative mythology. It seems like an obvious problem though that I live in in the West and have to view them all from that perspective.
TheReal_ND wrote:I've noticed this. Their anime shows devoted to heros are really all the same and very unoriginal. The hero must collect a bunch of stuff then goes on to fight the big boss fighting lesser ones on the way. That's literally almost all of anime.
I definitely notice that too, but optimistically I think that describes most "shonen" and maybe not all manga/anime.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:16 am

When this formula is followed without creativity, as it often is, it can be extremely monotonous...

Same can be said of any formula that gets copied.

Creativity involves introducing something original...

Obviously anime is not different in this respect - there is some great stuff and a lot of crap.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:19 am

Worth mentioning that Darryl Cooper and John Ebert's podcast "The Decline of the West"... that seems to have hit some kind of early hiatus... was taking off from Campbell's work... as interpreted by Oswald Spengler and others.

I hope they resurface one of these days...

Haven't picked up this Spengler guy yet... gonna have to get on that.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:24 pm

DrYouth wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtPP ... L5C8fcI1Fv
The Power of Nightmares (2004) by Adam Curtis
Adam Curtis Documentary
The film compares the rise of the neoconservative movement in the United States and the radical Islamist movement, drawing comparisons between their origins, and remarking on similarities between the two groups.
That's 3 hours of media you just posted there Nuke...

Maybe throw out a summary for discussion....

How Neocons parallel radical Islamists?

A lot to unpack there.

Really, that is not a straightforward parallel... the two groups are in many ways opposites, analogous only in the fervour of their assertions.

Neocons are extreme liberals in many ways... they believe in the liberal story of the western world and believe they are liberating the "backwards barbarians" bringing them freedom.

They believe in "free markets" and "liberty"... imposed perhaps in coercive ways... but this is the peoples own good, and they will thank us later.

Islamists are of course conservative in their view of strict Islam, Liberty is nowhere in their world view. They advocate complete submission to the teachings of Islam and to the cultural institutions of Islam as they imagine them.

Whatever similarities there are - they are perhaps in the conviction with which the beliefs are held. The willingness to go to war for ones beliefs. THe feeling that the ends justify the means... But the average radical Islamist is certainly farther along this spectrum than all but the most fanatical neocon.
I was going to start watching this but I got one minute in and realized I don't really care about whatever he's talking about :|

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:27 am

TheReal_ND wrote:I was going to start watching this but I got one minute in and realized I don't really care about whatever he's talking about :|
Ah well...

Seeing as you dropped by... why not stay a while?

How's that trade school thing going?

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:33 pm

This belongs here;

If you Google MHF this is what you get

https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/
Charity improving the lives of those with mental health problems or learning disabilities. Research, service development and information to increase ...
Mental Health Foundation.
Sounds about right......
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:12 pm

8-)

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:22 am

More like Mental Health Fakers.