The Official Martin Hash Video Game Thread

Speaker to Animals

Re: The Official Martin Hash Video Game Thread

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:02 am

The fun in the game is landing on another planet and getting back alive. With the mobile processing unit, you can leave behind a lot of the science equipment now. That's going to be cool.

For Jool, I will just have a huge processing ship in a stable orbit (if I can find one this time), send my landers out to the various moons, collect sample, return samples to the processing ship to be processed, repeat. When I fill out all the tech tree, my three kerbels will get into the smaller return ship after transmitting everything, and head back to kerbin. Need to factor in relay networks now, but I probably can get away with a lander that drops from a little driver that goes into orbit around the moon while the lander goes down to collect science. The driver can act as a relay as well. If I want to do manned landings on those moons, probably don't even need relays.

Getting the logistics right, building the little tugs, refuelers, etc., is part of the fun. You are missing out. At least go to Duna. That's not difficult.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:07 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:The fun in the game is landing on another planet and getting back alive. With the mobile processing unit, you can leave behind a lot of the science equipment now. That's going to be cool.

For Jool, I will just have a huge processing ship in a stable orbit (if I can find one this time), send my landers out to the various moons, collect sample, return samples to the processing ship to be processed, repeat. When I fill out all the tech tree, my three kerbels will get into the smaller return ship after transmitting everything, and head back to kerbin. Need to factor in relay networks now, but I probably can get away with a lander that drops from a little driver that goes into orbit around the moon while the lander goes down to collect science. The driver can act as a relay as well. If I want to do manned landings on those moons, probably don't even need relays.

Getting the logistics right, building the little tugs, refuelers, etc., is part of the fun. You are missing out. At least go to Duna. That's not difficult.
Omg dude.. a 3-part system? That's a kickass idea, actually. Main station in orbit around the planet, mothership to the moon, and lander from there.. Badass, if you can make it all work.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:09 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:The fun in the game is landing on another planet and getting back alive. With the mobile processing unit, you can leave behind a lot of the science equipment now. That's going to be cool.

Omg dude.. a 3-part system? That's a kickass idea, actually. Main station in orbit around the planet, mothership to the moon, and lander from there.. Badass, if you can make it all work.
I already did that a few years ago. A lot has changed, though. I like the new stuff. Before I had to haul all the samples back to get the full science.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:13 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

I already did that a few years ago. A lot has changed, though. I like the new stuff. Before I had to haul all the samples back to get the full science.
Honestly, I've never understood the science lab stuff. I just bring it all back when the capsule is full. I understand that you lose like 1/3 of the science points for processing it in the lab, and another 1/2 for transmitting? Sounds like a huge waste to me...

My big project has always been getting a good SSTO that I can refuel in kerbin orbit, go off somewhere, transfer crew to an on-site station, and take landers down from there. I've had a few awesome designs, but none of it works in the stock aero system. :evil:

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:17 am

SSTO is not too difficult. But that isn't going to get you out of Kerbin's orbit cheaply. Good for moving small parts of a larger ship you assemble in orbit.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:20 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:SSTO is not too difficult. But that isn't going to get you out of Kerbin's orbit cheaply. Good for moving small parts of a larger ship you assemble in orbit.
Well, the idea was to (hopefully) coast it down and land on planets with atmo. Should save a whole shitload of fuel, I think. Like I said, I never quite got that far though.
It's a whole lot cheaper to get off a planet sideways than vertically.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:25 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:SSTO is not too difficult. But that isn't going to get you out of Kerbin's orbit cheaply. Good for moving small parts of a larger ship you assemble in orbit.
Well, the idea was to (hopefully) coast it down and land on planets with atmo. Should save a whole shitload of fuel, I think. Like I said, I never quite got that far though.

Oh, you can do that in on a few worlds. Wouldn't try it on Duna. But the thing about planets with heavy atmo.. you can just use parachutes for even more efficient landing. I have dropped a spaceplane into Jool (unmanned) to collect atmosphere pressure. That's about it for that.

For planetary exploration, I'd recommend focusing on rovers.

I had a cool design where I would drop a rover down with it's own little propulsion mounted above it. When it was down just above the ground, I could release that and the rover would drop down safely. Worked mainly on moons.

A rover can eventually drive to new biomes, which makes it a far better investment in time and resources, in my opinion.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:27 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

Oh, you can do that in on a few worlds. Wouldn't try it on Duna. But the thing about planets with heavy atmo.. you can just use parachutes for even more efficient landing. I have dropped a spaceplane into Jool (unmanned) to collect atmosphere pressure. That's about it for that.

For planetary exploration, I'd recommend focusing on rovers.

I had a cool design where I would drop a rover down with it's own little propulsion mounted above it. When it was down just above the ground, I could release that and the rover would drop down safely. Worked mainly on moons.

A rover can eventually drive to new biomes, which makes it a far better investment in time and resources, in my opinion.
:lol: I successfully got 2 rovers onto Mun, after many, many embarrassing failures. when I finally started driving, it promptly flipped around, flew half a mile, and smashed into a rock. That shit is really hard to make stable.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:06 pm

I put my science farm on a simple rover frame to test it out. You can collect data from the Science Jr. Process it in the mobile processing lab, and when complete, select "clean" to reset the lab and repeat. That's freaking awesome. The more experienced your scientists, the fast they process the data. So I might leave them out here processing data a little to gain experience.

Extrapolating that to a Jool mission, you don't need to haul out like six science jr labs. You need only one on your lander. When you are docked, you move that stuff to the processing lab and wait till the research completes. Then reset the science experiments to repeat on another moon or biome.

Cid

Post by Cid » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:10 pm

Those of you looking to build a new rig in the near future, keep your eyes open for AMD news. Word is they're going to thread competitive with Intel, which is very exciting. My first rig I built was an athlon, and I loved that damn thing. Been running on the same intel i5 for four years and I'm still happy, but I just hate that outside of the gpu market AMD has been sucking it down.