The Official Martin Hash Video Game Thread

Dand

Re: The Official Martin Hash Video Game Thread

Post by Dand » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:29 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
Dand wrote:I played the Roller Coaster Tycoon games ~15 years ago but haven't in a long time. The only sim game I play lately is called Banished and it's an extremely chill town-creating game. No enemies or combat, just setting up a little settlement and growing until you screw up and run out of firewood early in winter or your town becomes so big that the game can't figure out what to do and your little people all start starving to death because they want to live on one side of the town but run a farm across the map that takes 8 hours to walk to :x At that point it's stressful but until then it's all chill and relaxing.
A guy I work with plays this. We were just talking about it again today. The quick downward spiral is frustrating, he tells me.
Cool! Everything can go smoothly and zenlike for a hours then suddenly you don't have enough tools for your miners (or any other resource for anyone) and it's a slow motion trainwreck as you run out of everything that relied on tools, or relied on those goods, etc, until you starve or freeze. The quick downward spiral is real but somehow it works.

adwinistrator

Post by adwinistrator » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:26 am

Currently wrapping up my first Witcher 3 playthrough.

Leveled up to 34, so I can upgrade to the mastercrafted Witcher gear.

Completed the "Collect 'Em All" quest, collecting every single Gwent card in the game.

Completed "The Tower Outta Nowheres", what a fun quest, quite the cheeky writing. Had to disable the “Defensive Regulatory Magicon” (DRM) using Gottfried’s Omni-oppening Grimoire (GOG). :lol:

Time to finish the fist-fighting quests in Skellige, and then on to the end-game.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:30 am

adwinistrator wrote:Currently wrapping up my first Witcher 3 playthrough.

Completed the "Collect 'Em All" quest, collecting every single Gwent card in the game.

Completed "The Tower Outta Nowheres", what a fun quest, quite the cheeky writing. Had to disable the “Defensive Regulatory Magicon” (DRM) using Gottfried’s Omni-oppening Grimoire (GOG). :lol:

Time to finish the fist-fighting quests in Skellige, and then on to the end-game.
I have heard nothing but good about that game. It looks a bit daunting to jump into though, being an OCD completionist like I am... ;)
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

skankhunt42

Post by skankhunt42 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:43 am

adwinistrator wrote:Currently wrapping up my first Witcher 3 playthrough.

This freaking game. Man... It's sooooo goooooood. I never finished it because of bad timing. I bought Battlefield 1, Gears 4, Deus Ex, and FF15 all in the last month but I'm like half way through Witcher 3. At some point I need to go back and finish, if anyone hasn't played it and is thinking about it you will not be disappointed.
"just realize that our Welfare states are also propped up by your Warfare. You're not actually defending us from threats, but you are propping us up by fabricating threats to maintain the Perpetual War." - Smitty

adwinistrator

Post by adwinistrator » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:46 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:I have heard nothing but good about that game. It looks a bit daunting to jump into though, being an OCD completionist like I am... ;)
It's the same problem I have. I blasted through about 50% of the game, took a break for a few months, completed another 30%, took a break, and am now trying to finish.

It's not like some of the games <cough>Ubisoft</cough> that have you spending hours collecting 100 little objects to get the box ticked to get the trophy.

I will say this, it is not filled with fluff. All the quests have a story, characters, and some sense of purpose, even if small and unimportant. It adds to the background of the different areas, towns, and people.

The Witcher 3 is the most impressive world, in the narrative sense, I've ever seen created in a game. The script ended up being over 450,000 words, 950 speaking roles, and over 300 hours of vocal dialogue.

adwinistrator

Post by adwinistrator » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:48 am

skankhunt42 wrote:This freaking game. Man... It's sooooo goooooood. I never finished it because of bad timing. I bought Battlefield 1, Gears 4, Deus Ex, and FF15 all in the last month but I'm like half way through Witcher 3. At some point I need to go back and finish, if anyone hasn't played it and is thinking about it you will not be disappointed.
I still need to finish Metal Gear Solid V, that game just got a bit too difficult for me. I'm not very good at 1st or 3rd person shooters...

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:12 am

There is also Space Engineers..

I am unsure if, like StarMade, you can run a persistent game server that would let us all play in the same sandbox whenever we want.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:24 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:There is also Space Engineers..

I am unsure if, like StarMade, you can run a persistent game server that would let us all play in the same sandbox whenever we want.
I do have that game, and bounced off it hard. No gameplay, no point - at least when I tried it out. Maybe they've added more since, but at the time, it was just building stuff and ramming it into each other for lulz.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Cid

Post by Cid » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:44 am

Currently back in WoW with the Legion expac. I like Overwatch, love the Fallout series, civ series, Supreme Commander (1 not 2, supreme commander 2 is an abomination) and perhaps my favorite game of all time is Freelancer. Played and enjoyed mass effect series, played Dragon Age Origins, Helldivers, Medieval 2 Total War... Yeah I've gamed a lot.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:46 am

I wonder whether this thread should be a sub thread to the psych ward one.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.