The Official Martin Hash Video Game Thread

DBTrek

Re: The Official Martin Hash Video Game Thread

Post by DBTrek » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:09 pm

Spore has good potential, good customization, but kinda weak gameplay. Developing the last stage of spore I to a more well-rounded civilization builder would’ve made it epic.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:12 pm

Spore was not a true evolutionary simulation at all, though.

There was one back in the 90s I played on Macs. I think it was called something obvious like Evolution.

SimLife was a bit closer in that it allowed you to tweak the environment, but it was macro stuff, not true evolution either.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:52 am

I've been playing Anthem, and it may not be a Destiny Killer, but it is sure going to give it a server black eye.
If we take the demos alone Anthem is a more polished game, it has more to do in it, the open world really does seem open and the game itself it really using the 4K render engine to its advantage.

EA did start off rough, but so does most games when they are demoed, logging in and getting the "infinite loading screen" are somewhat of a turnoff, but once the bug is fixed, and the logging issues are fixed, this game out of the box seems more sold, and well flushed out.

Flying takes a bit to get used to, and you can't fly forever, as shown in the demo in E3, but once you get the hang of it, it's fun, and it will save your bacon if you use it smartly.

The environment is beautiful, they spent a lot of time on details, the quality of people, and the environment as a whole. If you play with headphones on you can hear fine details that are hidden with normal speakers unless they are surround sound.

Firefights, while playing in a team is great, it feels natural, you can pick up your teammate if they fall, and you will become incapacitated quickly if you think you are going to go into a matchmaking session by yourself at a low level.
The creatures are smart, they will recoup and come after you in force if they realize they are going to get their butts handed to them. At least the ones I dealt with did. They fight smart too, they will not come after you either if they know you will school them, they will also bait you into a trap as well.

The weapons aren't overpowered, or underpowered, you will need help taking out some of the larger shielded, or heavily armored enemies... or "bosses". If an enemy flies, you can knock them out of the sky with a rocket, which will stun them. The super kicks ass, enemies actually react to it as well.

What I don't like about the game is little, but the NPCs aren't interactive in the demo, which I wish they gave them more than a blank stare when you interacted with them and have a screen that comes up saying not in the Demo.
I wish things were a little more intuitive when it came to changing weapons, etc... but again, for a demo I don't think you can ask for everything at once...

Overall though, this looks to be a very solid game, and I can see myself sinking a lot of time into this game just flying around and looking for random enemies to fight... or just to sit and enjoy the environment...which is as dangerous as it is beautiful.

The VIP Demo is running on a build that is almost if not older than a month, why I don't know but it was probably because they were running patches and fixes on the issues we complained about during the demo originally that it would look like a Windows OS update list and would have driven all of us crazy.

Also, people who have played the demo, you need to realize one thing, this is a single mission with a "tough medium level boss" and a "stronghold" which is challenging if you have a fireteam that doesn't work together, and yes... there are those in the game.

I've had some "issues" where you've had some Storm Javelin pilots think they are all that and can leave a downed Colossus and not think they are going to get schooled (which they did) but no, I'm not salty at all ;) Yes, you will get those people who are "god's among men" that will be able to solo something, but in reality, the balancing matrix they have in the game seems to be sold. It will be interesting to see how it works in competitive gameplay or high-level gameplay will work in the future, as long as you play as a team.

I also couldn't leave Freeplay after playing it for several hours, I lost a lot of things, but none are going to be in my character when the game releases, I just hope they fix the bug, if it's not fixed already.

https://youtu.be/S74hr3IwL9M

That being said, I've had contact with someone who has some information from a Bioware developer (I will not say who) that the gameplay you are playing in the demo is not even close to being 1% of the game. The game is going to be in depth like their old games such as Neverwinter Nights, where there will be a ton of side missions that will help you continue through the game with a little more ease. This game will not be one you can push through fast, even speedrunners will find that they will have to push through some of the side missions to continue through. Which is great, it means that there is a story in the game to be discovered, and for those who want to, will be rewarded.

Also, people complained about enemy appearing and disappearing randomly, this has been fixed as far as I have been told. The problem is that games that have been out for years, using even their own game engines have these issues. As proof here:

https://youtu.be/YJlM8CPHHdc

Destiny has been my goto game for quite some time, and players like me have tolerated the issues and bugs such as this for months if not years, D2 is no different.

I say we give Bioware a chance to resolve the issues, EA is the one we need to put pressure on, they have bought companies and let them go belly up so that EA has been able to use the technology of said companies as their own. Bioware is a good, solid company, or was until EA got their claws into them. We need to make sure that we put pressure on EA to make sure Bioware doesn't go the same way as Bullfrog and other game companies.

Bioware is attempting to fix the mistakes of the past, and I say good for them. I say we give Anthem a chance, and let's see what happens in three months time, if the bugs have been fixed, or not. Let's not ignore the 800lbs gorilla in the room though. EA needs to keep a distance from Bioware to allow them to make what looks like a good game great and redeem themselves from the Mass Effect debacle.

Here is hoping for a good launch and a better game, I have high hopes on this game... because as much as I like Destiny, this game to me may take over as my go-to game if it does what Destiny promised to do, which was a "space opera". A story to be discovered, and to be rewarded by looking everywhere and doing everything. Feeling bad or good when characters lived or died, etc... I just don't feel that except for when they offed Cayde-6, the one character of the game next to The Drifter, that had some personality.

I wanted Destiny to be a great game, an in-depth story... it wasn't. Unless you read the background story of the items you found or used, you didn't make the story, the story was already written. It has taken a lot of my money with nothing really to show for it, hopefully, Anthem will put a fire under Bungie's butt, because as I said before Anthem looks to be what Destiny was meant to be.

Anthem looks to be all it has been hyped up to be and possibly more, my only worry is that they have learned from their past, and will not make this a pay to play game, I also hope there is more than one way to get to the end of a game.
#NotOneRedCent

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:19 pm

Fife wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:10 am
I don't know anything about these modern vidya games, but this looks like a strong review:

No one bought it:
EA turns in bummer fiscal report: “We’re disappointed in our underperformance”

EA's latest quarterly fiscal report included a stark admission: Battlefield V's sales fell way below expectations. This, combined with a severe drop in mobile-gaming revenue, led EA's executives to admit that they were "disappointed in our underperfomance" in fiscal Q3 2019.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/02/ ... rformance/

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:22 pm

I guess SJWs are broke communist faggots who cannot play games for shit anyway. Maybe marketing to them was a mistake??

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:22 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:19 pm
Fife wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:10 am
I don't know anything about these modern vidya games, but this looks like a strong review:

No one bought it:

EA's latest quarterly fiscal report included a stark admission: Battlefield V's sales fell way below expectations. This, combined with a severe drop in mobile-gaming revenue, led EA's executives to admit that they were "disappointed in our underperfomance" in fiscal Q3 2019.

Ummm. We are in 2020?
#NotOneRedCent

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:23 pm

EA has been coasting for a decade. They went corporate stupid, and that was a wrap.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:30 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:22 pm
DBTrek wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:19 pm
No one bought it:

Ummm. We are in 2020?
I guess their accounting is as good as their game marketing.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:32 pm

Q3: Jul-Sep

We are in Q1 2019 right now.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:37 pm

Oh, I remember, fiscal year not julian year.

I just had a flashback to accounting. I need meds now.