The Official Martin Hash Video Game Thread

skankhunt42

The Official Martin Hash Video Game Thread

Post by skankhunt42 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:51 am

What have you been playing?

I'm in the midst of NBA2K17, and the new Deus Ex...

But as soon as those are in my rear view I plan on jumping into FF15 for about as many hours as my brain can withstand.

Anyone currently playing FF15? Any thoughts on it? It looks great. Love JRPG's.
"just realize that our Welfare states are also propped up by your Warfare. You're not actually defending us from threats, but you are propping us up by fabricating threats to maintain the Perpetual War." - Smitty

Xenophon

Re: The Official Martin Hash Video Game Thread

Post by Xenophon » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:45 am

I'm switching back and forth between Battlefield 1 and Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 on my PS4. I was thinking about picking up FFXV, but I'd rather not get it if it's just a thousand fetch quests like FFXII. I'm not a fan of anything that over-emulates WoW.

skankhunt42

Post by skankhunt42 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:25 am

Xenophon wrote:I'm switching back and forth between Battlefield 1 and Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 on my PS4. I was thinking about picking up FFXV, but I'd rather not get it if it's just a thousand fetch quests like FFXII. I'm not a fan of anything that over-emulates WoW.
I also picked up Battlefield 1. I've been playing with a group of friends on BF4 for years so we all made the transition...A transition that was similar to ours here! So far BF1 has my attention, I'm not sure if it's better than 4 yet.

I liked 12, but yea, it's Final Fantasy so fetch quests are going to be a plenty. I'm just excited to play a JRPG so I'll be picking it up next week.

Is anyone going to pick up Watchdogs 2? I feel like I'm the only person I know who beat the first one and liked it. But I'm also from Chicago originally so I'm biased towards that I guess.
"just realize that our Welfare states are also propped up by your Warfare. You're not actually defending us from threats, but you are propping us up by fabricating threats to maintain the Perpetual War." - Smitty

adwinistrator

Post by adwinistrator » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:36 am

I play a bit too much of Paradox Interactive's Europa Universalis IV, Hearts of Iron IV, and Victoria II.

Enjoyed playing around with Civilization VI, will wait for the better game rebalancing mods to get sorted out before playing again.

On the PS4 I've been enjoying Assassin's Creed: Unity (while relistening to the Revolutions podcast's episodes on the French Revolution).

Still have to finish up Witcher 3 and Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.

Heraclius

Post by Heraclius » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:15 am

adwinistrator wrote:I play a bit too much of Paradox Interactive's Europa Universalis IV, Hearts of Iron IV, and Victoria II.

Enjoyed playing around with Civilization VI, will wait for the better game rebalancing mods to get sorted out before playing again.

On the PS4 I've been enjoying Assassin's Creed: Unity (while relistening to the Revolutions podcast's episodes on the French Revolution).

Still have to finish up Witcher 3 and Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.
Damn, I've got a bit under 1200 hours in EU4 and thought I was getting too into it. I've also got about 300 hours in Crusader Kings 2, but never played much of HOI4 and VIC2.

Recently I've spent most of my time playing two games. The first is Town of Salem, which is a free browser game where you get put in a game with 15 players and get assigned a role. The three (or 4) sides are mafia, town, neutrals, and sometimes vampires. The mafia are an "informed minority" that know who their teammates are and can communicate with one another privately at night in order to kill off the town members to win the game. The town are the uninformed majority and do not know who is evil and who are their allies. So the normal game could have 9 town members, 3 mafia, and 3 neutral roles. They need to clue together who is town and who is not and kill the people that are evil during the jail trials. Obviously each town role has special abilities, but it would take too much to get into all of that. The neutral roles are basically independent of both the town and the mafia and have to win on their own or win by making the town lose. For example, a serial killer can't win with the mafia or town and must kill everyone to win. A witch can win with any neutral or mafia team as long as the witch survives to the end and sees the town lose. A survivor just has the survive to the end of the game.

The second game I've spent a lot of time on is Supreme Commander. That one is way too difficult to explain and would best be summarized with videos. I guess the video also tangentially relates to politics? :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YEQEL9kNUw&t=4342s

skankhunt42

Post by skankhunt42 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:24 am

To be sure, this forum has EXCELLENT taste in gaming! Love it.

katarn

Post by katarn » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:59 pm

I played civ (5) a bit once at a friends, but never tried getting it on my own stuff, but I get it recommended a lot. On PC total war (older versions) is good, as is age of empires. I also used to to a lot of Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast from the Dark Forces series. Nintendo's Fire Emblem can be good for some things (currently on 3DS, but does switch platform occasionally).
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

skankhunt42

Post by skankhunt42 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:11 pm

I just started playing Deus Ex Mankind Divided and wow, I love this game. I've played all of the previous versions, so I'm well aware of what I'm getting into, but man, this is great. I'd recommend it to anyone who's a fan of a great Action-RPG.

adwinistrator

Post by adwinistrator » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:28 pm

skankhunt42 wrote:I just started playing Deus Ex Mankind Divided and wow, I love this game. I've played all of the previous versions, so I'm well aware of what I'm getting into, but man, this is great. I'd recommend it to anyone who's a fan of a great Action-RPG.
I feel like I missed out on the window for enjoying the original Deus Ex, the graphics are just too old and blocky for me to enjoy the narrative today. I've watched a few clips about it though, and it sounds like an awesome story that really hit the bulls-eye on 21st century political conspiracy thrillers.

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:45 pm

This year in gaming has mostly been spent on Shadowrun: Hong Kong, Crusader Kings 2, the Dragon age series and currently I'm getting at the start of the end of the Mass Effect series.

Oh, and my nephew introduced me to Clash of Clans. Nice, little free game (though you can buy the gems that speed up build times) that doesn't require much gaming time (indeed, it has a "forced break" feature... no real reason to spend alot of time in there).
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.