Meme Thread for Memes and other assorted Lulz

Montegriffo

Re: Meme Thread for Memes and other assorted Lulz

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:50 pm

BjornP wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:29 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:48 am

Yes, I paid off a couple of thousand pounds from a family loan as well.
I haven't worked out exactly what I earned last year but it was probably around 10k in total. Nor have I worked out how many days I actually worked but it was probably fewer than 30.
Obviously not everybody can live off what I earn without completely changing their lifestyles but that's not the point I was trying to make.
The point is that we can all make some adjustments to our lifestyles without having a serious drop in living standards. I managed two trips to my house in France last year without having to get on a plane probably using less fuel than the average person would have used to commute during the 6 or 7 weeks I was there.
You don't have to live in a cave as a hunter-gatherer to make a difference.
Looks like we made around the same last year, then. Which, if you can find a place to live that inexpensive enough and don't live beyond your means, won't put you on or near the poverty line. As for your larger point, just the amount of food supermarkets throw out each year is astronomical, and add how much clothes and shoes get thrown out (and slashed so no one can wear it, and food gets bleach thrown over it), and it's clear the "never-ending" growth economy is both ecologically, but also economically unsustainable. And then you have planned obsolescence, where companies deliberately design products to fail early despite being able to design them as just as sturdy as alot of our grandparents mechanics and even electronic devices were back in the day.
I'm surprised you earn so little, you're a curator or archivist at a museum if I remember correctly aren't you? I'd have thought that would be a better paid job but you are obviously doing something worthwhile that you enjoy and that's worth more than money IMO.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:15 pm

For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:17 pm

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:26 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:50 pm

I'm surprised you earn so little, you're a curator or archivist at a museum if I remember correctly aren't you? I'd have thought that would be a better paid job but you are obviously doing something worthwhile that you enjoy and that's worth more than money IMO.
Part time (because I got chronic pain issues), and for the last four years, it's only been seasonal (May-September). Five years ago I exclusively did curating and archival work for the museum (a super-museum, one museum that manages nine museums in the North Jutland region), with my hiring funded by a municipal employment program. They were on the cusp of hiring me, but their funding was slashed that year. Instead they asked me if I was interested in working as the... dunno the job description in English, but guy who handles pretty much everything from ticket sales, to gift shop to everyday maintenance of the museum grounds, at four of their twelve museums. I said yes, and then I asked them if they still needed some help registering some of the historical objects and/or archival requests, and they said that would probably bring trouble (a curator or archival assistant gets a different hourly wage than my official job description does...). Next year, though, they started giving me a little. Got a short part time contract gig in the winter of 2017 to curate some items for a small museum to break the monotony and which was pure curating work (and some manual assisting to set up an exhibition). In 2019, I got such a big workload of historical paintings, I didn't manage to finish cataloguing them.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:01 am

BjornP wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:26 am
Montegriffo wrote:

Part time (because I got chronic pain issues), and for the last four years, it's only been seasonal (May-September). Five years ago I exclusively did curating and archival work for the museum (a super-museum, one museum that manages nine museums in the North Jutland region), with my hiring funded by a municipal employment program. They were on the cusp of hiring me, but their funding was slashed that year. Instead they asked me if I was interested in working as the... dunno the job description in English, but guy who handles pretty much everything from ticket sales, to gift shop to everyday maintenance of the museum grounds, at four of their twelve museums. I said yes, and then I asked them if they still needed some help registering some of the historical objects and/or archival requests, and they said that would probably bring trouble (a curator or archival assistant gets a different hourly wage than my official job description does...). Next year, though, they started giving me a little. Got a short part time contract gig in the winter of 2017 to curate some items for a small museum to break the monotony and which was pure curating work (and some manual assisting to set up an exhibition). In 2019, I got such a big workload of historical paintings, I didn't manage to finish cataloguing them.
Sounds like you taken some hits and kept on trucking. Good man.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:05 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:01 am
BjornP wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:

No doubt TC would call him a welfare sponger living in his mother's basement.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:15 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:05 am
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:01 am
BjornP wrote:

No doubt TC would call him a welfare sponger living in his mother's basement.
Chronic pain is different than your case. You are a leech. He is dealing with something you can't phantom.
#NotOneRedCent

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:39 am

What excatly do you imagine Monte is leeching from and how, TC? From what I've read of his posts over the years, nothing has indicated he ever recieved welfare benefits. Not that that'd be wrong even if he's perfectly healthy.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:17 am

BjornP wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:39 am
What excatly do you imagine Monte is leeching from and how, TC? From what I've read of his posts over the years, nothing has indicated he ever recieved welfare benefits. Not that that'd be wrong even if he's perfectly healthy.
Rent-free... seriously? You don't live rent-free anywhere without either providing a service or leaching... and he doesn't provide a service by the sounds of it.
#NotOneRedCent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:56 am

BjornP wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:39 am
I remember being attack by DB back in the DCF days for living in a truck and having an ''alternative'' lifestyle.
I couldn't understand it at first but after seeing the van and tent ghettos they have in places like California and Seattle where he lives I can see why he mistook me for someone like that.
That isn't how I live though. I live on a friend's land with his permission and pay my own way in life. I think DB came around to understanding the difference between me and a filthy welfare sponge but TC is clinging to his ignorant view of me because he sees only in black and white and can't see shades of grey.
No amount of information is going to dissuade him from his belief in how he thinks I live.
I do take on full-time jobs on occasion, I worked 60-70 hour weeks at a local Christian conference centre a couple of years ago and earned about 20k that year. I wasn't really any better off though. My quality of life was certainly worse and I just spent a lot more money on port and hash. I even missed most of my own juggling festival due to working 15 hr shifts most days.
Last year I was lucky enough to get just enough film work to survive and only had to do 2 days of agency chef work just before the job I did in a WWI film in the trenches which I described last November.
That was only 3 days filming and a day to shop for food (50-60 hrs) but I made more than I could earn in about 2 months of agency work.
That leaves me free to get on with living an actual life.
As Smitty says ''jobs are jails''.
Work to live don't live to work.