What Are You Listening To?

Montegriffo

Re: What Are You Listening To?

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:04 pm

I remember the odd Barber, Ball and Bilk amongst all the dreary James Last albums. I would put them on the Bang and Olufsen and crank it up.
Good shit...
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:07 pm

Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:20 pm

For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:22 pm

Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:53 pm

Just watched Outlaw King on Netflix. That was a cool flick too, way better than Braveheart.

Tell you what, that Florence Pugh is a cutie patootie, smokin' hot.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:47 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:53 pm
Just watched Outlaw King on Netflix. That was a cool flick too, way better than Braveheart.

Tell you what, that Florence Pugh is a cutie patootie, smokin' hot.
Everything is better than Braveheart. Outlaw King lacked something. It didn't suck me in. I never got to care about the outcome. Great costumes, acting, cinematography and that so it had to be the script I guess. I was disappointed. Could also be that my expectations were too high after Hell or High Water. That one was a perfect fit for me.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:48 am

Listening to The Beatles Abbey Road 50th Anniversary Edition 2019 Remix.

It's almost a new album. So much more pronounced.

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:00 am

What's the opinion around here on The Highwomen?

Stephen Thomas Erlewine, Rovi wrote:The Highwomen are the rarest of country supergroups: a quartet who came together at the height of their popularity and creative powers, not when they were settling into their legacy. In that regard, the quartet of Brandi Carlile, Maren Morris, Amanda Shires, and Natalie Hemby differ from their knowing namesake the Highwaymen, a band Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, and Kris Kristofferson formed in 1985, just as they started to drift down the charts. When the Highwomen appeared in 2019, every member of the quartet was at a peak in her respective roots niche. Singer/songwriter Carlile was fresh off winning three Grammy Awards and Morris was at the vanguard of country-pop, while Shires' cult was growing thanks to the atmospheric Americana of To the Sunset and Hemby's reputation as a country songwriter was at a peak, thanks to her contributions to Kacey Musgraves' Golden Hour and Miranda Lambert's The Weight of These Wings.

The origins of the Highwomen lie with Shires, who noticed how few women she heard on country radio while she was on a cross-country tour. Producer Dave Cobb, who was working with Shires on To the Sunset, suggested Shires contact Carlile, who quickly agreed to form a group with the singer/songwriter. Morris was the next to join. The trio initially hinted at the Highwomen in the press and social media during late 2018, with Shires making the band's name public during a radio interview in January 2019. Shires claimed the Highwomen was a play on the Highwaymen, but the name was meant as "exalted, not stoned." The fourth member of the group was kept secret until the Highwomen played Loretta Lynn's 87th birthday concert at Nashville's Bridgestone Arena. At the concert, Hemby was unveiled as the band's fourth member.

"Redesigning Women," the first single from the group's eponymous Cobb-produced debut album, arrived July 19, 2019, a week before the full quartet played their first full set at the Newport Folk Festival. Low Country Sound/Elektra released The Highwomen on September 6, 2019. Among the album's songs was a new version of "Highwaymen," which was revised with the assistance of its original author, Jimmy Webb.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:21 am

Hastur wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:47 am

Everything is better than Braveheart. Outlaw King lacked something. It didn't suck me in. I never got to care about the outcome. Great costumes, acting, cinematography and that so it had to be the script I guess. I was disappointed. Could also be that my expectations were too high after Hell or High Water. That one was a perfect fit for me.
Well I didn't say it was Kubrick, it's just an action movie, but I thought it was fun.

I guess I was sucked in by Florence Pugh, what a hottie

I liked the 14th c. recreation too, I thought it was pretty good.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:23 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:21 am
Hastur wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:47 am

Well I didn't say it was Kubrick, it's just an action movie, but I thought it was fun.

I guess I was sucked in by Florence Pugh, what a hottie

I liked the 14th c. recreation too, I thought it was pretty good.
My expectations were too high. Have you seen Hell or High Water?