What show are you watching right now?

K@th

Re: What show are you watching right now?

Post by K@th » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:35 pm

StCapps wrote:
Kath wrote:Black Mirror - we watched Nosedive last night. Quite apropos - hecka social commentary.
If you haven't seen White Christmas or Fifteen Million Merits yet, then you're in for a treat.
Looking forward to all of them. Nice surprise.
Account abandoned.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:27 pm

I just saw the netflix movie Gerald's Game. It was pretty good. Didn't think I'd like it, but I did quite a bit. The twist at the end makes the movie. Never read the Stephen King book (because by and large he is a shit author imo) but when he writes understated stuff that doesn't involve telepathic powers or apocalyptic scenarios, he can be decent. An exception to the rule is the 2007 movie The Mist. That one was good, though it deviated from his ending. The ending for that movie was truly shocking.
Shikata ga nai

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:07 pm

I hear that Babylon Berlin is real good, set in 20's Weimar Germany, might have to give that a watch. Apparently the cinematography is better than Boardwalk Empire and it's drawing some comparisons to The Wire thematically, and that sounds awesome. Never seen a real good German TV show, hope it lives up to the praise I've been hearing.
*yip*

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:40 pm

StCapps wrote:I hear that Babylon Berlin is real good, set in 20's Weimar Germany, might have to give that a watch. Apparently the cinematography is better than Boardwalk Empire and it's drawing some comparisons to The Wire thematically, and that sounds awesome. Never seen a real good German TV show, hope it lives up to the praise I've been hearing.
Watch Waco and American Crime Story. You will like them both. Second season of ACS is pretty good dude, and Waco is off the wall!
Shikata ga nai

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:47 pm

heydaralon wrote:
StCapps wrote:I hear that Babylon Berlin is real good, set in 20's Weimar Germany, might have to give that a watch. Apparently the cinematography is better than Boardwalk Empire and it's drawing some comparisons to The Wire thematically, and that sounds awesome. Never seen a real good German TV show, hope it lives up to the praise I've been hearing.
Watch Waco and American Crime Story. You will like them both. Second season of ACS is pretty good dude, and Waco is off the wall!
I've been watching ACS, just need to watch yesterday's episode.
*yip*

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:51 pm

StCapps wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
Well, the first four episodes pretty much covered the dudes crimes. This is a crazy case, which I had never heard about before the show, but this episode falls into the trap of american horror story, which is to turn into a progressive soap opera. I'm optimistic because I liked the OJ season in spite of this, but so far this episode has been underwhelming. Leave it to Ryan Murphy to try to pigeonhole every liberal cause imaginable into otherwise great Tv. Oh well...
Shikata ga nai

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:46 pm

Just watched the first episode of Here and Now. What can I say? It’s Alan Ball unleashed. If you miss Six Feet Under you must give it a try. I could make a long list of trigger warnings for our not so progressive members but I know you’re all big boys.

I have a good feeling about this one.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:41 pm

StCapps wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
Babylon Berlin looks interesting. Is it dubbed better than Dark was?...that almost made it unwatchable for me.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:54 pm

Netflix has an Altered Carbon adaptation, Richard K. Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs trilogy, not bad actually, they don't stay absolutely loyal to the book, they change it up a bit for the screen, but I'm a Richard K. Morgan fan and they haven't changed it in any way that bothers me, I kind of like the changes actually.
Nec Aspera Terrent

brewster

Post by brewster » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:04 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:Netflix has an Altered Carbon adaptation, Richard K. Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs trilogy, not bad actually, they don't stay absolutely loyal to the book, they change it up a bit for the screen, but I'm a Richard K. Morgan fan and they haven't changed it in any way that bothers me, I kind of like the changes actually.
Didn't read the books, but the lack of backups of a little disk for all but the superich seems implausible. In John Varley's Eight Worlds series if you die you wake up in a new clone with your last memory laying down on the backup couch. Fun series, aliens have kicked humans off Earth so they won't bother the real intelligent inhabitants: whales.

Otherwise I like it so far, I'm on like E5, but I don't see the big picture yet of where it's going. But since it doesn't have time travel or amnesia and has only dipped it's toe in "evil twin" with the mother-daughter thing it's better than 99% of TV SF. But I see huge potential for big time Evil Twin abuse, so we'll see...

Also currently watching Westworld for the 3rd time because I started my 15 yo daughter on it. Still damn enjoyable.
Last edited by brewster on Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND