NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

StCapps

Re: NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

Post by StCapps » Wed May 24, 2017 1:08 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:It's not "snake him", Shanahan didn't have to give permission, Shanahan's just a class act, he's not going to hold the kid back, and besides, I think Lou is having a good time up here, he's not going anywhere, and we've got Hunter too, so Dubas is pretty far down in the line of succession, I'm confident that Shanny could go out and find the next Dubas anyways, that's how the model franchises do it, they find the talent which other teams come to covet, wash, rinse, repeat.
You're right. I should rephrase, it's not the Leafs that we are snaking Dubas from, it's the other teams looking for a GM right now who we'd be snaking him from.
Smitty-48 wrote:But indeed, Dubas is exactly what the Av's need, Joe shouldn't let him get away when he has the chance, he's ready now, just give him the GM job, don't punk him off with a "front office position".

The Advanced Stats Leaf fans are all bitter that Shanahan didn't deny permission just to hold Dubas in the fold, but they're missing the forest through the trees, Shanahan is the key; the top people want to work for him, if he was a dick, that wouldn't be the case.
I was pretty happy to hear we are even smart enough to ask for permission to talk to Dubas quite frankly, and props to Sheriff Shanny for being cool about it. I'd love to have Kyle Dubas as our GM, exactly what we need indeed, I just hope some other franchise doesn't get him instead.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed May 24, 2017 1:15 pm

Well they already denied once, but now the kid is being pursued by half the league, you can't keep denying him over and over, you don't want to burn your bridges, he will be a GM, we will be wanting to do business with him in the future, if Dubas goes to the Av's, then we will have a working relationship with Avs, the more of those you have the better.

Right now, the Leafs still need Lamoriello, he runs the tightest of the tightest ships, the cone of silence, the media in check, the whole organization with heels clicked together high and tight, the Capo di Tutti Capi, that's what you need in Toronto, to keep the circus at bay.

I think Dubas is ready to run a team, but I don't think he's ready to run the 6ix, in this market here, respect is not enough, you have to have the juice, and they all have to fear to cross you.

I mean; Lupul? Robidas? Lou just made them go away, $8.25 million in cap room, shifted on to LTIR, he bent the league rules to the limits, and he made people do what the Leafs needed them to do, he turned that liability into an asset, just by having the juice to get people to dance to his tune, you need a Lamoriello to pull these sorts of things off.

The biggest problem with the Leafs, for decades, was that the inmates were running the asylum, and the circus was being permitted to run amok, as soon as Lou took over, things got locked down tight, and that was overnight, nobody leaks, nobody chirps, nobody steps out of line, nobody is so foolish as to think that they can get away with crossing Lamoriello, so they don't even try.

Seriously; Lou Lamoriello should be President of the United States.
Nec Aspera Terrent

SilverEagle

Post by SilverEagle » Thu May 25, 2017 8:48 am

Big game tonight. My guess is Pens 2-1.

Anybody else have a prediction?
There is a time for good men to do bad things.

For fuck sake, 1984 is NOT an instruction manual!

:character-bowser: __________ :character-mario: :character-luigi:

SilverEagle

Post by SilverEagle » Thu May 25, 2017 1:36 pm

This is what I've been bitching about. If the Sens beat the Pens tonight then the ratings for the finals will blow monkey nuts and the NHL only has themselves to blame. Not calling playoff games like regular season games allows shit teams to reach the finals. Make the correct calls and neither the Preds or Sens would be sniffing the Cup finals. While I will upset if the Pens lose I will also be laughing at the NHL at the same time.

http://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/post ... ot-matchup

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu May 25, 2017 2:04 pm

SilverEagle wrote:This is what I've been bitching about. If the Sens beat the Pens tonight then the ratings for the finals will blow monkey nuts and the NHL only has themselves to blame. Not calling playoff games like regular season games allows shit teams to reach the finals. Make the correct calls and neither the Preds or Sens would be sniffing the Cup finals. While I will upset if the Pens lose I will also be laughing at the NHL at the same time.

Even when the correct calls get made, the best team on paper doesn't always win. That's hockey, if you don't like it, go watch basketball. In Basketball the best team usually wins the series and there is hardly ever any surprises. The refs are not the reason the Sens could beat the Pens in a 7 game series, and they aren't the reason that Preds are in the finals either. If anything the refs were out to get the Preds last round, not the other way around.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu May 25, 2017 2:12 pm

Yeah, basketball is shit, it all just amounts to Cavs v. Golden State, and you already know that before the first tip off of the season, what is even the point of the NBA? Just cut straight to finals and skip the whole season. Then just skip the whole game and cut to the last five minutes.

I literally only have to watch five minutes of basketball a year, to find out everything I need to, for the whole league for that season, which is actually a blessing, because basketball is so fuckin' lame.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu May 25, 2017 2:21 pm

The only NBA matchup worth tuning in for, is Shaq v. Barkley.

Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu May 25, 2017 6:24 pm

Brutal pinch by Methot to give up that 2 on 1, next level dumb-dumb. Dirty dish from Karlsson and an even better snipe from Stone, just when you thought the first goal was going to be absolutely huge, and then 20 seconds later.....
*yip*

SilverEagle

Post by SilverEagle » Thu May 25, 2017 6:51 pm

StCapps wrote:
SilverEagle wrote:This is what I've been bitching about. If the Sens beat the Pens tonight then the ratings for the finals will blow monkey nuts and the NHL only has themselves to blame. Not calling playoff games like regular season games allows shit teams to reach the finals. Make the correct calls and neither the Preds or Sens would be sniffing the Cup finals. While I will upset if the Pens lose I will also be laughing at the NHL at the same time.

Even when the correct calls get made, the best team on paper doesn't always win. That's hockey, if you don't like it, go watch basketball. In Basketball the best team usually wins the series and there is hardly ever any surprises. The refs are not the reason the Sens could beat the Pens in a 7 game series, and they aren't the reason that Preds are in the finals either. If anything the refs were out to get the Preds last round, not the other way around.
Like fuck they aren't! Even the goddamn commentators on NBC are bitching about. The refs absolutely stole game 6 from the Pens and are in the verge of stealing game 7 as well! You're fucking lying if you say otherwise! I mean Ottawa must have played flawlessly hockey for two period with zero men in the box. Give me a fucking break.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu May 25, 2017 6:56 pm

The only guy stealing games from the Pens at this point, is Craig Anderson. He's a goalie, not a ref.

Fucking Avalanche could have had kept Anderson and drafted Forsberg but no we had to get rid of Anderson and trade for Varlamov. Losers.
:snooty:
*yip*