The Chapel

DrYouth

Re: The Chapel

Post by DrYouth » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:24 pm

Xenophon wrote:Maybe I mistook the vibe.

EDIT: Upon further reflection, I'm an idiot. Carry on.
:lol:
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Heraclius

Post by Heraclius » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:04 pm

DrYouth wrote:
Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:I meant that as a simplified version of the Euthyphro dilemma.

Is it good because god loves it, or does god love it because it is good?

If we just make good and divine interchangeable words, than we haven't really answered the question, we have just fudged the language.
All of this is about fudging language...
God is a word...
In the beginning there was the Word.
You could waste a lot of time splitting hairs about the words.

The spiritual quest is about living the good life... encountering the sacred... transcending the mundane.

That little dilemma of yours isn't really moving me along that path.

Has in inspired you in some way?

Oh, wait - it was Heraclius who brought up that dilemma, wasn't it?
It's not that the dilemma has inspired me, it's just that I find them interesting tests for internal contradictions within your beliefs. I would say the dilemma falls under the "encountering the sacred" part of your spiritual quest. While you are not actually finding the higher power, you are determining what kind of higher power it is that you believe in which allows you to gain a higher understanding of both yourself and the world around you.

katarn

Post by katarn » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:57 pm

How about Pascal's Wager?
http://www.iep.utm.edu/pasc-wag/
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:07 pm

It's kind of a poor model for religious faith on the face of it because it's almost.... how do I say this for normal circles? Thrifty....

I prefer Marcus Aurelius' thoughts on it. Going to paraphrase here: "Better to live your life just and virtuous, for if there are gods they will be pleased, but if there are none you will still have led a virtuous life worth living."

Heraclius

Post by Heraclius » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:45 am

katarn wrote:How about Pascal's Wager?
http://www.iep.utm.edu/pasc-wag/
Pascal's Wager is best described as an economist's way of looking at faith.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:13 am

TheReal_ND wrote:It's kind of a poor model for religious faith on the face of it because it's almost.... how do I say this for normal circles? Thrifty....

I prefer Marcus Aurelius' thoughts on it. Going to paraphrase here: "Better to live your life just and virtuous, for if there are gods they will be pleased, but if there are none you will still have led a virtuous life worth living."
Good post Nuke.

Curious how you would say it for "less normal" circles?
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

skankhunt42

Post by skankhunt42 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:23 am

DrYouth wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote:It's kind of a poor model for religious faith on the face of it because it's almost.... how do I say this for normal circles? Thrifty....

Good post Nuke.

Curious how you would say it for "less normal" circles?
Seconded. I need a bumper sticker of that on my car.
"just realize that our Welfare states are also propped up by your Warfare. You're not actually defending us from threats, but you are propping us up by fabricating threats to maintain the Perpetual War." - Smitty

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:59 pm

It's almost the weekend - so time for an update from the Chapel...

Have any of you checked out Rene Girard?

I find his ideas pretty awesome.

If you want to check it out and have some time for podcasts - check out this 5 part series.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/the-scape ... -1.3474195
According to French thinker René Girard, human beings copy each other's desires and are in perpetual conflict with one another over the objects of our desire. In early human communities, this conflict created a permanent threat of violence and forced our ancestors to find a way to unify themselves. They chose a victim, a scapegoat against whom the community could unite. Biblical religion, according to Girard, has attempted to overcome this historic plight. From the unjust murder of Abel by his brother Cain to the crucifixion of Christ, the Bible reveals the innocence of the victim. It is on this revelation that modern society unquietly rests.

katarn

Post by katarn » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:13 pm

I introduced this at the old place, but election stuff buried it a bit before I though justice was done in discussion.

The Kalam Argument (Simple Version)
1. Everything that begins to exist has a cause
2. If the universe began to exist, it had a cause
3. The universe began to exist (based on most current data and theory)
4. The universe had a cause
4a. That cause must be without properties introduced inside the universe, like time
5. That cause has supreme power as relates to the universe
6. This cause has the properties of a deity
Conclusion: If the universe began to exist, there is some extrauniversal deity that is eternal and omnipotent
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:04 pm

I like this.