NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

StCapps

Re: NHL 2017 -Official Discussion Thread

Post by StCapps » Mon May 22, 2017 8:18 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:I covet that Anaheim defence tho;

Fowler-Manson
Lindholm-Vatanen
Theodore-Montour

They're too reliant on Getzlaf-Perry to score, but with a D like that, they're in good shape if they can add some scoring depth, but this Gibson kid, might be time for plan B, and not Johnny Burns; what were they thinking?
Expansion draft is coming for one or two of them, unless the Ducks are going to protect like no forwards. Even still though I still covet that defense, even after they lose a man or two.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon May 22, 2017 8:21 pm

They still got Jacob Larsson in Europe, they can afford to expose/trade Vatanen, and maybe trade Theodore for a top prospect forward. Not to the Leafs tho, we don't need Vatanen, and we ain't trading Nylander. We want Josh Manson, but no way they're giving him up, and he's not worth a Nylander, but Kapanen and a bucket o' pucks ain't getting it done,
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Mon May 22, 2017 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon May 22, 2017 8:22 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:They still got Jacob Larsson in Europe, they can afford to expose/trade Vatanen, and maybe trade Theodore for a top prospect forward. Not to the Leafs tho, we don't need Vatanen, and we ain't trading Nylander. We want Josh Manson, but no way they're giving him up.
They'll have a busy off-season, that's for sure.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon May 22, 2017 8:28 pm

They can't lose really, Theodore, Montour and Larsson are lottery draft exempt, they can protect Manson and Lindholm, basically should move Fowler and Vatanen, which, in the current market, should fetch a king's ransom of prospects.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon May 22, 2017 8:40 pm

Actually, looking at their lottery exposed forwards, I would protect four D, because the only guy's up front they need to protect, are Getzlaf, Perry, Rakell, and Kesler, everybody else is expendable, Nick Ritchie is exempt. So, they could keep Fowler, basically just have to move Vatanen and Silverberg.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon May 22, 2017 8:55 pm

You know who has a lottery draft problem? Nashville.

Exposed;

Forsberg-Johansen-Arvidsson

Neal-Wilson-Watson

Subban-Josi

Ekholm-Ellis

They either have to protect four D and lose two of those forwards, or give up one of those D, ouch.

I don't like their prospect pool, it's pretty much do or die for Nashville, this year, the window is actually closing on this team, because it has no depth, they haven't exactly drafted well overall, what you see there, plus Kevin Fiala, is all they really got, and Neal is UFA 2018.

This is why I would move PK Subban this summer, try to get a bushell of top prospects for him before his stock really drops off, save the $9 million and use it elsewhere.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon May 22, 2017 9:50 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:You know who has a lottery draft problem? Nashville.

Exposed;

Forsberg-Johansen-Arvidsson

Neal-Wilson-Watson

Subban-Josi

Ekholm-Ellis

They either have to protect four D and lose two of those forwards, or give up one of those D, ouch.

I don't like their prospect pool, it's pretty much do or die for Nashville, this year, the window is actually closing on this team, because it has no depth, they haven't exactly drafted well overall, what you see there, plus Kevin Fiala, is all they really got, and Neal is UFA 2018.

This is why I would move PK Subban this summer, try to get a bushell of top prospects for him before his stock really drops off, save the $9 million and use it elsewhere.
If you're Nashville you got to go 4 and 4 and give up two forwards, you'd be a fool to not protect Josi, Ekholm or Ellis, especially when they are making less than Nikita Zaitsev, and protecting Subban is also quite obvious. I agree that trading Subban for a bushel of prospects is the best option, but giving up two forwards instead of the top four d-man, that's a no brainer.

The Expansion Draft is going to hurt them in the depth department though, there is no doubt about it, especially if they find a way to win the Cup without Johansen.
Last edited by StCapps on Mon May 22, 2017 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon May 22, 2017 10:04 pm

Not when you have two #1's and one of them is playing on your second pairing and is costing you $9 million, like I say, that's a waste, Nashville doesn't have anything in the pipeline to replace two forwards, the loss of two forwards would do more damage than the loss of Subban, particularly when Subban could be traded to stock you up for the future, I mean, they could get some sweet sweet prospects for a #1 RHD, if they lose Neal next summer, which they will, it will be time for a rebuild-on-the-fly anyways.

The team is hot this year, but they are overachieving, this team is not getting back here next year, so they should retool this offseason and stock up for the future.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon May 22, 2017 10:14 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:Not when you have two #1's and one of them is playing on your second pairing and is costing you $9 million, like I say, that's a waste, Nashville doesn't have anything in the pipeline to replace two forwards, the loss of two forwards would do more damage than the loss of Subban, particularly when Subban could be traded to stock you up for the future, I mean, they could get some sweet sweet prospects for a #1 RHD, if they lose Neal next summer, which they will, it will be time for a rebuild-on-the-fly anyways.

The team is hot this year, but they are overachieving, this team is not getting back here next year, so they should retool this offseason and stock up for the future.
Nah they aren't just hot, they are one of the best teams in the Western Conference and will be for at least a few more years, even if they don't trade Subban immediately. You sleep on this core at your own peril. Watson and Wilson are great and all, but all four of the top four d-men are more important to that success than both of them combined. It might be harder to move Subban for proper compensation before the Expansion draft than you think, it's not long after the Cup final is over, and any assets you get will have to be ineligible for the draft so as they don't burn a spot, or it will be harder for any Subban trade pre-Expansion draft to be worth their effort.
Last edited by StCapps on Mon May 22, 2017 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon May 22, 2017 10:18 pm

Nah, this team is a flash in the pan, it's not that good, they're just riding a hot Rinne, but he's very often not this hot, they're not going to be a perennial contender, they will be what they have been, a perenial playoff team maybe, but they're not going to be the new Chicago.

This is just an off year in the West, the Preds are this years Team of Destiny, but they ain't deep enough to do this year after year.
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Mon May 22, 2017 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent