Game of Thrones - mostly

DrYouth

Re: Game of Thrones - mostly

Post by DrYouth » Thu May 02, 2019 2:30 pm

Did some research to remind myself of Danaery's backround.... specifically around Khal Drogo.

Like I said she has happy with her Khal... he was supposed to deliver her the throne... Which I'm sure he planned on sitting on himself.

Towards the end of season 1, the Dothraki plundered a city towards the goal of building an armada to cross the Narrow Sea.

And here her SJW tendencies got her in trouble... not for the last time...

She stopped the Dothraki practice of raping the women in the village they had plundered...

But one of the slave women whom she rescued... and was granted as her own slave... got revenge on her despite her "good intentions".

This women used sorcery to curse Khal Drogo and kill her unborn child as revenge for the sacking of the city.

Danaerys mercy killed Khal... who was in a vegetative state... and it was in his funeral pyre that she hatched her dragon eggs and emerged from the flames as "Mother of Dragons"...

So symbolically she fused with the ashes of Khal Drogo himself in this transformation.

This doesn't really set her up for a "co-equal" partnership with Jon... She's still fused to Khal... no closure there.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Kath

Post by Kath » Thu May 02, 2019 2:49 pm

You see SJWs everywhere... lol... paranoid much, Doc?
Why are all the Gods such vicious cunts? Where's the God of tits and wine?

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Thu May 02, 2019 2:52 pm

The woman who killed Drogo and their child, mentions in that episode that she did it because Dany's son was frequently prophesized as the Dothraki messiah figure, who would conquer and enslave the whole world. In killing those two, she effectively pointed out to the show viewers (and book readers, as the season 1 book-show disconnect wasn't so big, then), that prophesies can be wrong or misleading, but also that she simply killed a barbarian warlord who cut down her family, friends, then his warriors raped and enslaved her and also the leader was rumoured to be future father to a prophesized great conqueror. I sympathized almost exclusively with Mirri Maz Duur in that episode.

Again, DrY..what's the SJW'iness of freeing slaves? Or stopping warriors from raping their prisoners? :think:
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

Kath

Post by Kath » Thu May 02, 2019 2:57 pm

BjornP wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:52 pm
I sympathized almost exclusively with Mirri Maz Duur in that episode.
Me too. I love Dany, but not because I think she's a great person. Her intentions are good, but she sucks at executing her supposed vision.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Thu May 02, 2019 3:03 pm

BjornP wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:52 pm
Again, DrY..what's the SJW'iness of freeing slaves? Or stopping warriors from raping their prisoners? :think:
Basically it's the hypocrisy that I'm pointing out.
She was fine with them sacking the village.
In fact they were sacking the village in order to fulfill her goal to take power.
So she is no saint.
But she draws a line... out of "goodness"...
But rather than thank her for her kindness... the people of the village naturally see her as conqueror... and an enemy.

She expected this woman to help her... not seeing how in her eyes she was the enemy... therefore bringing calamity on Khal Drogo who had been indulging her despite his men's warnings. She was the Khal's downfall in the end.

This is classic SJW stuff... window dressing care for the oppressed... and then shock when they are perceived as oppressors despite their good deeds.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Kath

Post by Kath » Thu May 02, 2019 4:56 pm

DrYouth wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:03 pm

This is classic SJW stuff... window dressing care for the oppressed... and then shock when they are perceived as oppressors despite their good deeds.
You can't call everything SJW. The term is about five years old. The book was written in the early 90s. I sincerely doubt that Martin was being an SJW, since it wasn't even a thing back then.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu May 02, 2019 5:02 pm

Kath wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:56 pm
DrYouth wrote:

You can't call everything SJW. The term is about five years old. The book was written in the early 90s. I sincerely doubt that Martin was being an SJW, since it wasn't even a thing back then.

This has nothing to do with the books. It’s HBOs faceplant.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Kath

Post by Kath » Thu May 02, 2019 5:10 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 5:02 pm

Huh? I'm pretty sure that the Khol died in the series exactly how it played out in the books.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu May 02, 2019 5:31 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 5:02 pm
Kath wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:56 pm
DrYouth wrote:

SJW's existed back in 90's, they just used a different label, and it has plenty to do with the books and the show. Blaming everything on Benioff and Weiss, and letting Martin off the hook, is just not paying attention.
*yip*

Kath

Post by Kath » Thu May 02, 2019 5:42 pm

StCapps wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 5:31 pm
SJW's existed back in 90's, they just used a different label, and it has plenty to do with the books and the show. Blaming everything on Benioff and Weiss, and letting Martin off the hook, is just not paying attention.
By your definition, they have always existed.

Want to free slaves? SJW
Want women to vote? SJW

Anyone pushing for social change believes they are doing it for society's good. This is why conservatives and liberals need each other.

If we go too far, too fast; chaos, with unsustainable and crazy changes that harm society. If we never change, progress never happens, and we harm society.

So, in THAT, context, Abraham Lincoln and Elizabth Caty Stanton were SJWs. I wouldn't dream of labeling them that, though.

So, um, sure, I guess. I'd argue that this current brand that has developed in the last several years is a whole new class of its' own, pushing way too hard for too much nonsense. Hence: The chaos that is the SJW crowd.