Carl Jung, Joseph Campbell, JRR TOLKIEN, Myths and Stories

Montegriffo

Re: Carl Jung, Joseph Campbell, JRR TOLKIEN, Myths and Stories

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:00 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:58 pm
You are probably a pyschopath. Pyechopaths typically lack the ability to feel empathy or remorse.
I'm sorry you feel that way.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:10 pm

That's exactly what a pyschopath believes the appropriate response is.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:29 pm

Did David Lane sell you the new avatar?
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:30 pm

Whom'st?

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:32 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:39 pm
GloryofGreece wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:34 pm
TheReal_ND wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:28 pm
Silmarillion. It's really good but it probably damaged me for life. I probably shouldn't have read it as a preteen at least.
In what ways did it do that?
It's not healthy to wish so ardently for an alternate reality to be true. Not as an impressionable boy at least. Its the kind of thing that leads to escapism. It's hard to explain but it seems to have left a great sadness with me whenever I think about it.
I think I understand what you saying. Which if you are saying a kid and an adult shouldn't spend too much time with entertainment then yes I agree. Like most things moderation is key. If you saying the younger readers are more impressionable and thus should be even more weary of reading or doing anything that isn't practical and ultimately useful in a very very pragmatic way then I would disagree with that. I think all knowledge, time spent, reading, contemplating, sports, fitness, jobs, drugs, alcohol, nonfiction even etc. can be used in excess and obsession can and usually develops in younger people. I think at a younger age that if any is a time to spend maybe even "too much" time reading or again a hobby, sport etc. b/c otherwise you won't know yourself as well otherwise and your going to do what you're more or less interested anyway. Might as well figure that stuff out in your preteen thru teen years.

Anyway, there is a wonderful Portuguese word linked below that might even be a more accurate "reason" why you wish you didn't spend so much time reading that book...Again I don't know of course b/c I am not you.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudade

And finally , I think you'd enjoy this rather short but useful book. Escapism my friend is one of many ways we deal with the "Terror of History"...
https://www.amazon.com/Terror-History-U ... of+history
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:37 pm

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:41 pm

Yes that word exactly. Exactly.

I don't regret reading it as an impressionable youth filled with hormones and angst which left a void like the Suadade word. It was very good I suppose I'm fortunate I'm not some Harry Potter reading wine mom with ten cats and a Twitter account.
GloryofGreece wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:32 pm
TheReal_ND wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:34 pm
In what ways did it do that?
It's not healthy to wish so ardently for an alternate reality to be true. Not as an impressionable boy at least. Its the kind of thing that leads to escapism. It's hard to explain but it seems to have left a great sadness with me whenever I think about it.
I think I understand what you saying. Which if you are saying a kid and an adult shouldn't spend too much time with entertainment then yes I agree. Like most things moderation is key. If you saying the younger readers are more impressionable and thus should be even more weary of reading or doing anything that isn't practical and ultimately useful in a very very pragmatic way then I would disagree with that. I think all knowledge, time spent, reading, contemplating, sports, fitness, jobs, drugs, alcohol, nonfiction even etc. can be used in excess and obsession can and usually develops in younger people. I think at a younger age that if any is a time to spend maybe even "too much" time reading or again a hobby, sport etc. b/c otherwise you won't know yourself as well otherwise and your going to do what you're more or less interested anyway. Might as well figure that stuff out in your preteen thru teen years.

Anyway, there is a wonderful Portuguese word linked below that might even be a more accurate "reason" why you wish you didn't spend so much time reading that book...Again I don't know of course b/c I am not you.

And finally , I think you'd enjoy this rather short but useful book. Escapism my friend is one of many ways we deal with the "Terror of History"...

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:43 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:41 pm
Yes that word exactly. Exactly.

I don't regret reading it as an impressionable youth filled with hormones and angst which left a void like the Suadade word. It was very good I suppose I'm fortunate I'm not some Harry Potter reading wine mom with ten cats and a Twitter account.
GloryofGreece wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:32 pm
TheReal_ND wrote:

I was thinking of making something I created called Saudade" but then my wife said, "no one will know what that means and..."...Fuck me.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:32 pm

The recording took place on March 28th, 1958 in Rotterdam at a “Hobbit Dinner” put on by Tolkien’s Dutch publisher and a bookseller. Tolkien’s own publisher, Allen and Unwin, paid for his trip to the Netherlands to attend this special party. According to his letters the author was chuffed to find that Rotterdam was filled with people “intoxicated with hobbits.” Tolkien showed up at a packed hall where 200 hobbit fanatics had come to hear him and other scholars talk about Middle-earth.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/noble-sm ... 73529.html

Philology/Linguistics of the Legenderium
http://sciencenordic.com/names-tolkiens ... -explained

Tolkien the man/bio/insights
https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/20 ... xford.html

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:29 pm