Is the Space Elevator a Public Good?

Speaker to Animals

Re: Is the Space Elevator a Public Good?

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:31 am

And you know what else is a public good..

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:20 am

Actual experiences may vary
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:24 am

But the alternative is known.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:33 am

or we can have Dominoes fix the roads that our tax dollars fail to fix

The fact that our roads are so bad we have a pizza company fixing roads should be a canary in a coal mine to us all.
PLATA O PLOMO

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:58 am

In the cities, maybe.

The above photo of that mountain road is nearby. That's my situation. I don't care about wherever Dominoes Pizza is even a thing.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:12 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:58 am
In the cities, maybe.

The above photo of that mountain road is nearby. That's my situation. I don't care about wherever Dominoes Pizza is even a thing.
Right.
We are going to see more and more failing infrastructure.
We are just getting to the point where our nationwide infrastructure is getting old and beginning to fail. Govt can't keep up now, and it will only get worse.

The thing is, we have the money, but we waste it and give it away in Washington DC. There is no long term strategic plan to maintain our infrastructure, just stamping out fires as they pop up. Too much graft and corruption for the tax dollars to actually make it too the roads.
PLATA O PLOMO

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:18 am

C-Mag wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:12 am
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:58 am
In the cities, maybe.

Right.
We are going to see more and more failing infrastructure.
We are just getting to the point where our nationwide infrastructure is getting old and beginning to fail. Govt can't keep up now, and it will only get worse.

The thing is, we have the money, but we waste it and give it away in Washington DC. There is no long term strategic plan to maintain our infrastructure, just stamping out fires as they pop up. Too much graft and corruption for the tax dollars to actually make it too the roads.

Honestly, the way we handle road infrastructure is not terrible. The problem, for the most part, is the incredible amount of traffic urban roads receive. People compare us to something like Germany, but Germany has a more distributed population and their cities have adequate public transport.

Then out in the rural areas, most people don't really care that much. If it's cheaper, then just stick with dirt roads as far as I am concerned. Drive a truck.

The trick is this: if you want good roads, then don't obsess over the roads but, rather, obsess over public transportation and better distributing your population into smaller communities. To get these massive cities and communities where owning a car is a necessity, Americans had to PLAN to make that a reality. You don't get something like current Los Angeles by accident.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:25 am

The Blue Islands will not give up their death grip on the majority of tax payer dollars in this country.

I do believe there is going to be a repopulating of rural areas for a numbers of reasons. Crime, Culture, Tech allows decentralized work. But there won't be a drop in urban numbers due to open borders.

Going to gravel roads is a good solution on a number of levels. Plus it helps keep the undesireables out.
PLATA O PLOMO