The Official Martin Hash Video Game Thread

BjornP

Re: The Official Martin Hash Video Game Thread

Post by BjornP » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:04 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Agreed that Eastern Europe is a surprising new hub for hit games - nobody saw that one coming..

I bounced off of Factorio hard the first time. Months later, I enjoyed it for a few hours, but still not all-in. I'll give it another shot at some point.
Reminds me, a game I haven't been playing for some time is "This War of Mine", available on Steam, by a Polish developer. You play a small group of civilians trying to survive in a besieged city in a Ex-Yugoslavia-inspired civil war. You have to survive starvation, winter, attacks from armed looters and potentially loot (or trade) salvaged materials and supplies, while keeping your group alive (and their spirits up) for the duration of the game. Expansion adds having to look after children as well.

The game only autosaves, though, and you only play one game at a game. That's abit different than most games, and it might seem frustrating at first but not being able to constantly redo some mistake you made, made things all the more interesting. Imo.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:26 pm

BjornP wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Agreed that Eastern Europe is a surprising new hub for hit games - nobody saw that one coming..

I bounced off of Factorio hard the first time. Months later, I enjoyed it for a few hours, but still not all-in. I'll give it another shot at some point.
Reminds me, a game I haven't been playing for some time is "This War of Mine", available on Steam, by a Polish developer. You play a small group of civilians trying to survive in a besieged city in a Ex-Yugoslavia-inspired civil war. You have to survive starvation, winter, attacks from armed looters and potentially loot (or trade) salvaged materials and supplies, while keeping your group alive (and their spirits up) for the duration of the game. Expansion adds having to look after children as well.

The game only autosaves, though, and you only play one game at a game. That's abit different than most games, and it might seem frustrating at first but not being able to constantly redo some mistake you made, made things all the more interesting. Imo.
OMG that game is so great... Very good stuff. Since the last update with children, it got a lot harder, too. I should probably dive back into that one.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

I just Lurk

Post by I just Lurk » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:26 am

I'm really digging Rimword. Iv'e only played a few hours, but so far its pretty interesting. In alot of ways it reminds me of minecraft, but with more of a base management and strategic aspect. You control a group of survivors who crashlanded on a frontier world. Your ultimate goal is to survive long enough to research and build a spacecraft. But you constantly have to deal with raids, famine, natural disasters. My greatest feeling of accomplishment was getting through a winter without resorting to cannibalism.
NukeDog was right

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:49 am

Sparrow941 wrote:I'm really digging Rimword. Iv'e only played a few hours, but so far its pretty interesting. In alot of ways it reminds me of minecraft, but with more of a base management and strategic aspect. You control a group of survivors who crashlanded on a frontier world. Your ultimate goal is to survive long enough to research and build a spacecraft. But you constantly have to deal with raids, famine, natural disasters. My greatest feeling of accomplishment was getting through a winter without resorting to cannibalism.
Another very challenging one. I had to force myself to get past the weird interface, but man that game is Deeeeep. So much to manage and keep track of.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:13 pm

2.6 coming soon.

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

adwinistrator

Post by adwinistrator » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:14 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Sparrow941 wrote:I'm really digging Rimword. Iv'e only played a few hours, but so far its pretty interesting. In alot of ways it reminds me of minecraft, but with more of a base management and strategic aspect. You control a group of survivors who crashlanded on a frontier world. Your ultimate goal is to survive long enough to research and build a spacecraft. But you constantly have to deal with raids, famine, natural disasters. My greatest feeling of accomplishment was getting through a winter without resorting to cannibalism.
Another very challenging one. I had to force myself to get past the weird interface, but man that game is Deeeeep. So much to manage and keep track of.
Rimworld is very fun, basically a kinder, simpler version of Dwarf Fortress, with actual graphics and a decent interface.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:31 am

adwinistrator wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Rimworld is very fun, basically a kinder, simpler version of Dwarf Fortress, with actual graphics and a decent interface.
Jesus, dude.. That game is like an act of masochism. :lol:
1 year in, all of your colonists are mangled or dead, starving wretches looking for food.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

adwinistrator

Post by adwinistrator » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:46 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
adwinistrator wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Jesus, dude.. That game is like an act of masochism. :lol:
1 year in, all of your colonists are mangled or dead, starving wretches looking for food.
I take it you have not experienced Dwarf Fortress?

It looks like this.

You can get character map mods to make it a bit better.

It also has layers, so you can dig down into your camp, or climb the mountains.

There are so many properties of objects in the game, and mechanics for interaction, that things always do go terribly (and hilariously) wrong.
From this spawned an epic tale, incorporating hordes of belligerent dwarf-eating elephants, floods of biblical proportions, flaming puppies, and more hilarious pranks. After many goblin raiders and elven traders were fried with floods of lava, there was a brief period of tranquility. Then one of the last few dwarves, unhappy from the recent defacement of a masterwork engraving, caught fire and started a fist fight with another dwarf (setting it on fire too), causing a tantrum and insanity spiral that eventually destroyed the whole fortress. To be fair, she'd given plenty of warnings that she was becoming unhinged, such as attempting to drink from the magma river and making numerous engravings depicting dwarves on fire, elephants killing dwarves, and a carving of a carving of cheese.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:18 am

lol I always wanted to play it, but that interface is just ridiculous.
That's why I got so excited for Rimworld, but that's an acquired taste as well.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

adwinistrator

Post by adwinistrator » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:26 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:lol I always wanted to play it, but that interface is just ridiculous.
That's why I got so excited for Rimworld, but that's an acquired taste as well.
It was really a great niche that was waiting to be filled. Take the madness that is dwarf fortress, and make it accessible, understandable, and a bit simpler.

Things get just as insane in Rimworld, but maybe with a bit less flavor than DF. I've seen plenty of Rimworld stories about people setting up organ harvesting prisons for all the bandits they capture, where as in DF, I've read about someone setting up a dwarf birthing prison where the babies are harvested...